Need an experts opinion on the following 1911s before I purchase...Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Dcrgolfer, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Dcrgolfer

Dcrgolfer New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Great buying guide, read from cover to cover. Helps and causes more decision difficulties. I need an expert opinion to help me finalize my decision. I have been renting various 1911s, S&W SW 1911, Remmington R1, Ruger Sr1911, Sig GSR 9, Springfield 1911. My objectives are 1) must be made in USA, 2) must be between $650 - $1000, + or - $100. My choices re as follows...#1 Ruger SR1911, #2 S&W SW1911, #3 Sig Sauer GSR 1911 and then over my budget, a Kimberly Custom. I prefer the stainless steel finish, and all steel. The Sig Sauer is steel slide & alloy frame. I prefer the weight of an all steel variety. Can any of the non-NGs give me any advice or your solicited opinion. I see shy this site is called 1911addicts....we shot 9mm's for out first 2 range visits as a starting point. After shooting the 1911 45acp....holy crap...what a great gun. Why would anyone shoot anything else...Thanks in advance for any input the experts can provide in he ing me choose my first gun. Why not start with the best and start collecting 1911s.

2. rollincoalctd

rollincoalctd New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I think my next 1911 is going to be a STI chambered in 9mm to shoot and have fun with. Already have my 21st century colt commander lw in 45 and damn is it expensive to shoot Haha.

3. Jim NH

Jim NH New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Remington R1 is in the budget range, readily available,very well made and adaptable to most needs. Love mine.
    A gun in your holster beats one on a waiting list.
    But all are good!

4. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    STI Trojan or Guardian

5. jack_of_none

jack_of_none Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I've owned a SW1911 and a Springfield. By far I like the Springfield better. The range officer is a very good gun that can get upgraded when funds allow. I had too many failures to feed with the SW1911 so I sold it and bought the Springfield. Springfield has excellent customer service and the gun is guaranteed for life so if you every have any problems ... just call and they pay shipping both ways and are very fast in getting the gun back to you. S&W also has a very good customer service. Springfield has a good custom shop too for upgrades. Those are the only two I have a lot of experience with though, so I am not an expert. I did a lot of research before I bought my Springfield and the general opinion was that the Springfield 1911 are some of the best value for the money. Just my 2 cents.

Chris Hagreen likes this.
  6. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    The Ruger is a great gun for the money. I had one, sold it and bought another one.
    I use it for teaching others to shoot. I've got a Stainless Springfield Loaded in 9mm also for teaching.
    They are both great guns. The first 1911 that I ever purchased was a SW blued gun. It looked smudged and dirty all the time.
    I have a strong appreciation for old blued guns, but not new ones. I sold the SW and bought a Stainless Colt and had Novak work on it a little.
    Good luck and let us know what you get.

7. Duff45

Duff45 Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Springfield Range Officer or Loaded, like Jack said, if my budget was $1000. Or a Sig-Sauer 1911 (many don't like the lines on the slide or the external extractor tho), which has great features for the price (many of the Sig 1911's are just under $1000 street price).

8. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    STI Trojan would be my choice.

9. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Without going into the "blame game", I can say this out of experience.

Most guns mentioned here, needs further work in order to obtain better reliability. Yes ! they look great, but the important stuff is on the inside. Nothing man made is 100% reliable, but we're close these days with quality parts and machines. In the end, all that matters, is who puts them together.

Any 9mm 1911, is notoriously difficult to make reliable, and will NEVER obtain the same level of reliability as a 45 ACP. Close but not the same. Using a high cap platform in 9mm is always a better solution from the start. Accepting this will make your life less trouble free.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Jess,

Is there a particular self defense ammo that you like to use to evaluate pistols?
    Along with that, any ammo you recommend for an "ammo picky" pistol?

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    It's caliber depending !
    In 45 ACP we follow this rule ! If the gun can feed WW 230 JHP, Rem.230 JHP, 230 ball, bullets seated a little long/short, then it's a good start.
    However, we also handle the guns like a beginner would do sometimes. Which means operating the 1911 in a way it wasn't designed to do. Short stroking, riding the slide etc.

If one load/unload all the time, then put only one round in the mag and ride the slide quickly to chamber the round. This prevents bullet set back/pressure, reliability should it end up in the mix like # 2,3,4 etc. in the mag later on.

Pretty much any time proven quality defense ammo out there, should feed any quality build 1911. Too many to mention.

Most gun reliability problems out there is a mix of things. Like buying something that isn't what you think you get...or pay for. Most other factors is lack of insight and firearms awareness.

Been involved for over 30 yrs. in this gun game. Military, Police, instructor, competing in world class competition. Still, hasn't seen it all, and never will. Thats actually what I like about being a gun guy.

12. 2012UltraLimited

2012UltraLimited New Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Shoot the .50GI and you will know the answer to that question. Enoy the .45ACP while you can :)

13. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Im a fan of the 1911 pistol overall... Make your first a 45 and go from there.

Cant go wrong with a 5" full size 45 for your first 1911. Make it a Springfield TRP and you'll be ahead of the game

14. Game Warden

Game Warden New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Ruger SR1911 for the money is one heck of pistol.

15. JHPRICE

JHPRICE Member

Jul 5, 2013
    maybe once a point of time 9mm 1911s were were un reliable. Those days are over sti., Taurus, kimber. rock island,citadell, colt nighthawks lady hawk and t4 as well as wilson combat all make very reliable 9mm 1911s colts new agent is one of the best compacts on the market in 9 mm

16. Jim Timber

Jim Timber just a machinist

Jul 2, 2013
    I got an officer size 9mm for the wife so she'd get over her dollar sign trigger flinch (refuses to pull the trigger because of perceived ammo cost), and I'm the sole cause of the only problem it's had - I had the over travel screw too long on a new trigger.

It runs like a sewing machine. Just like my 9mm 2011 runs like a sewing machine.

Springs are probably spec'd wrong in a gun that doesn't run right. 19# main spring (hardly a light weight), and 12-14# recoil spring = butter.

17. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    All the Dan Wesson 9mm are very reliable as well.

18. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    ditto :smile:

19. Chris Hagreen

Chris Hagreen New Member

Apr 25, 2015
    I have a Springfield Loaded TNS (NM serial number) and its the cats ass. Best bang for the buck.

20. Chris Hagreen

Chris Hagreen New Member

Apr 25, 2015

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted