Need an Officer model expert? New Question Added

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ORShooter, Dec 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I need some help with my Taurus Officer model guide rod and recoil spring removal. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks in advance. TW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    [​IMG]

I appreciate the responses so far. Folks, there is no hole for a paper clip that I can see. The guide rod will not come up out of the slide any further than what you see because of the angle. Maybe I'm dumb but, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

3. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    In your photo, you may not see a hole because it may be hidden by the the rest of the recoil assembly. Try this: Reassemble the gun. Lock the slide to the rear. Can you see a hole for the paperclip in the section of guide rod that protrudes from the front of the slide?
    If there isn't one, what does the owner's manual say?

salelcid and limbkiller like this.
  4. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    It'll come out -- just push forward and compress the recoil spring and then work the assembly rearward and over the barrel link. That's a heavy spring it requires substantial force ;)

5. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Yeppers, push the flat round piece of steel at the end of the spring forward and lift it out making sure not to put your eye out....Just the reverse to re install it and seat the flat round piece into the notch you can't see just now.

Karsten

ORShooter likes this.
  6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    No problem Sir !
    On page -07843A of your trusty TTT gunsmithing catalog, you will find a complete tutorial on your problem and all the quality tools needed to address the situation.
    (1) you will need a guide rod capture tool #stickitin mod3
    F192F19F-A8A8-46D9-9F69-A05C252E877C.jpeg
    If by chance you don’t have a hole you need a set of TTTs super hardened drill bits # useatyourownrisk mark 7
    3E113503-B7FD-4D23-AF63-22FEEB8DB233.jpeg
    If by chance you are still befuddled,send for TTT fix all Smithin sticks
    #oshitnotagain A4 !
    E561D540-E014-472F-A5C0-CEC68C682B07.jpeg
    As usual send cash and postage both ways.

War Party, UBOATDOC, FWoo45 and 7 others like this.
  7. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Now that's funny right there!:laugh:

8. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    I apologize for the delay. I got sidetracked with another problem! I'll work on it some more and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for all the positive help! TW

tac45, xerts1191 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  9. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    I forgot to get back to y'all and let you know how it went! Humblest apologies! I did find a video of a guy who shows how to take down a SA Range Officer that has pretty much the same spring and guide rod. After watching said video, I was able to get it out with no problems. Aaah, tricks of the trade, gotta love 'em LOL! :)

Greatest thanks to all of you who replied and PM'd with help. Really love this site! TW

1911 dawg and UBOATDOC like this.
  10. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Now, looking at the spring/guide rod assembly, is there a replacement model that would work better?

11. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I’m running an EGW one, on my SA Champion.
    I’m pretty sure that both EGW And Wilson make recoil sets that will fit your Officers model.

ORShooter likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted