Need help, load data for MBC Oddball...

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by daved20319, Dec 23, 2018.

1. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Having trouble finding load data for any 200 gr. .45 ACP lead or coated round nose bullets, seems all I can find is FMJ or SWC. Bullet in question is from Missouri Bullet Company with the Hy Tek (sp?) coating, and I guess they called it the Oddball for a reason :rolleyes:. If anyone uses this bullet, I'd really appreciate hearing about your load recipe. Powders I have on hand are Bullseye, W231, VV N320, and CFE Pistol. Thanks.

Dave

2. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I tried a box but unfortunately did not chronograph them.
    Loads were the same as for 200 gr SWC.
    I'll check die settings to see if I have an OAL.
    I know it is short, nose is blunt and base is flat.
    Fed well in my guns.

I plan to try Gallant 200 RN which looks a little more elliptical.

gps man likes this.

3. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Thank you, that helps. I was nervous about simply substituting the load for something else the same weight, that bit me recently. The Lyman manual lists two very different charge ranges for 2 different SWC's, of course I picked the one with the higher range, since the picture looked like my bullet :oops:. Needless to say, it was the wrong choice, the load was too hot, lots of recoil and muzzle flip, and patterns rather than groups. And that was from my CZ 97 BD, a tank of a pistol. Didn't chronograph it, but I'm sure it was a safe load, just not what I was after, a soft shooting target load. Come to think of it, I may try these bullets with both loads, the round nose might like the higher velocity. Anyway, thanks again, later.

Dave

4. cdhbrad

cdhbrad Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2011
    My 97B loves 200gr Coated LSWC with 4.0gr of either Bullseye or N310. You would probably need a few tenths more of N320. Very Accurate and soft shooting too. Different bullet profile than yours, but the weight is the same so should give you something for comparison to what you've already loaded.

My 97B has a lighter recoil spring to accommodate these "target" velocity loads, which are all I shoot in it and most of my 1911s in .45ACP.

5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I shoot a great many MBC 200 grain SWC over 4.0 of Bullseye.

Light wonderful shooting load.

Very low pressure.

I can’t imagine it not working well with your 200 grain Oddballs.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted