Need Help with Another Forum!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pcar157, Mar 17, 2019.

1. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Signed up with another forum, 1911 Forum, and after entering username, email and pass word I get a drop down that says an "activation email" will be sent that will allow full forum access. This was over a week ago, never received the "activation email", have written to the site administrators several time but no answer. Anyone have a similar experience or suggest how I should proceed?
    Oh and by the way, 1911 Addicts forum will always be my favorite!! Just sayin'

2. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Have you checked your “junk mail” folder?
    Sometimes email filters recognize those kinds of auto mass-mailings as “spam” and redirect them into your ‘junk’ mail box.

boatdoc likes this.

3. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Oh yes but nothing there! I cannot figure out why the administrators don't reply.

4. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Yeah, I can’t venture a guess there. Without knowing who really “owns” any given forum nowadays, the support you get can be very problematic. I don’t know who owns or operates the 1911 Forum - I’m a member there, too. But if it’s “corporate” owned, it may or may not be well supported by the administrators.

5. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I gave up on that site. “TOOS” Never received activation email although I can sign on and browse under my sign on name. Never been able to post or respond to any topic or discussions for over 3 years now. Sent numerous request to no avail with no reply.
    Let it go. You found the right place here. :thumbs: :usa: :cheers:

6. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    Been there, I resolved at least mine. I use AOL email. I worked the issue with AOL due to the fact I had been a member of 1911forum for years and mail stopped. No spam, no trash seems they've filtered in some fashion at least mine. I have a couple of other addresses, I moved all "gun stuff" to Outlook email ... all works fine now.

7. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Hello pcar157!

With all due respect, I would not bother with TOOS (1911forum). Why?
    Well it's simple. First off, if they can even get new members signed up correctly, or at the the very least have the mechanism or courtesy to respond to "help" inquiries, are they worth the time?

Second, It's a night and day difference between TOOS and Addicts. What I mean by that is, we are a family (sometimes a tad dysfunctional), but we are a family. One that shares and care about the members of the forum.

Lastly, the knowledge quality and level is miles apart from TOOS. We have pinnacle smiths that actively share knowledge and post. Let's not forget the artisan leather workers as well.

It's your choice if you wish to spend your valuable time chasing after TOOS membership activation. But I think you will find the Addicts a much better "home".

Best regards,
    Eric

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Hillary got your email...

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I believe I can help you with some sage advice , stay away from toos , screw those intolerant big headed bast-rds.

10. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    @tac45 - You said the "unvarnished" version of my post! Thank you sir for NOT being politically correct!

11. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    My own personal experience leads me to believe, the forums created and maintained by particular enthusiasts (of a given subject matter) are some of the better ones to participate in. However, I realize this is a “generalization” and may not always be the case.

It seems the history of a lot of these forums morph over time. They are started by an individual enthusiast (or small group of friends/acquaintances) who share interest in a common topic. Then, as the forum membership grows, the effort to maintain the quality and responsiveness becomes quite a daunting challenge. The original owners are more-or-less forced to engage other members as administrators or moderators to help keep things organized (and civil).

And many times (not always, but many), the original owner has met with such success in growing a “capitative audience” in a particular subject arena, his efforts lead to some kind of perceived marketing (i.e., advertising) value to some corporation. With the result being, the original owner(s) is financially incentivized to sell out.

The new corporate owners frequently lack the ‘home grown’ enthusiasm for the original topic, and instead, see the collective group membership as only a pool of potential buyers of whatever products or services they have to sell. The result of this kind of scenario is usually a deterioration of the original intent and purpose of the forum.

This may be an overly simplified view of what can happen in the lifespan of a subject matter forum but nevertheless has occurred on occasion. (Not all ‘corporate’ owners are necessarily poor owners - depends on how much effort they want to put in, maintaining the forum’s quality).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Kinda. Comes easy for me buddy , I’ve learned a lot from @limbkiller , God Bless Him . :p

13. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    tac45, I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about ;
    limbkiller is the most quintessential “Kentucky Gentleman”!
    [​IMG]

tac45, Dave Jessee, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.
  14. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Yep, this!

tac45 and xerts1191 like this.
  15. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Yet another gun web site owned by Torstar, anti 2nd A!

16. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Same thing happened to me before I got on this forum... Never looked back.

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  17. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Small loss.
    Let it go.

techiede, xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  18. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    The one feature I have found on the 1911 Forum that attracts me is there is a section with most of the 1911 manufacturers listed and each listing has posts limited to that particular manufacturer. Otherwise I have no reason to be on that forum. 1911 Addicts rocks!!!

xerts1191 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted