Need help with build

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JandLCustoms, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JandLCustoms

JandLCustoms I have many leather bound books Supporting Addict

May 9, 2018
    Hey everyone I need some help! I am enlisting in the military at the end of February and I have not been able to finish my 1911 build. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to put my custom ideas on hold for a bit as I move into this new phase of my life. That being said, I also don’t think I have enough time to finish my build so I’m looking to send it out to get finished.

What else needs to be done:

1. Fit barrel to frame/finish fitting to slide
    2. Fit sear/hammer
    3. Install ejector
    4. Fit extractor
    5. Fit mag release
    6. Tune sear spring
    7. Serrate And shape front sight (it’s a chambers blank)
    8. Countersink slide stop
    9. Possibly minor fittings elsewhere

I have all the parts needed just not the time to do it in! I am also not worried about the finish. I intend to send it off to get polished up when it’s done. If you think you could help me out or have a suggestion on who I should talk to please let me know. It would really be awesome if it could be done by March. If not, the returning of the gun might have to be coordinated with my wife!

2. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Check with site member Steve Owens. He is getting a lot of great feedback.

Good luck with your new direction in life! Been there and done that. :)

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    A second shout out for Steve. From what I've seen and read on this site he does some outstanding work.

And best of luck with the military. I too have been there, done that. :)

4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Steve Owens and Slapshot like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    It’s going to be hard to find someone to work on a half built gun IMO.

WHEELS, Steve Owens and Kip like this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Are you enlisting at the end of Feb or do you have a date to leave for basic at the end of Feb? If you're planning on signing up then there is always a delay between when you enlist and when you leave. You have to get a physical, background check, all kinds of stuff. And they have to process you stuff and time your basic training class so that it jives with whatever schools you need to go to for your chosen career field. They try to arrange things so you have the least amount of downtime in between. So, if you're signing up in Feb, your probably looking at anywhere from a 1 to 6 months, maybe even longer, before you leave for basic.

I say you get back to work on that pistol and you can probably complete the build yourself before you leave. Send it off for finishing right before you go and you night have it waiting for you when you get home on leave.

FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  7. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    I’m in the process now so That’s just a rough date. It could easily be June as we all know how efficient Uncle Sam is! Honestly, I would love to finish it but between working 50 hours a week and having two kids and now having to sell most of my stuff and clean out my house/garage to pay things off and get in the position I need to be to go I don’t think I’ll have the time needed. If I can’t find someone on here to do it, nighthawk said they would finish it but I feel like their service quality and price is way out of line for what it is. In the end, it might just take a couple years to finish it but i figured I’d take the shot and see if I’ll get lucky on here! I appreciate everyone’s responses!

WWB likes this.
  8. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Good luck to you with this. Unfortunately, I think most people will be leery of taking on a half-finished custom project from an unknown source. The work you’ve done so far may be first-rate, but the worst nightmares of custom builders of any stripe always come from stuff other people worked on. So I’m just saying...

But I do wish you the best and thank you for your committment to service. I hope you will find a good solution or maybe time to finish it yourself before you leave.

JandLCustoms and Steve Owens like this.
  9. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've done a few pistols that were handed to me as a bag of parts. My first comment going into a project like that is that if I find parts that are ruined or modified beyond saving, the parts will have to be replaced, and I ain't paying for them. :)

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    "If I can’t find someone on here to do it, nighthawk said they would finish it but I feel like their service quality and price is way out of line for what it is."

Comments like this will not win you any points in the custom smiffin' world...

11. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    Perhaps not but I can explain that haha. I bought the slide, frame, barrel, and almost all the all parts from them. Here are a couple of my issues with them:
    1. The slide and frame have tooling marks all over them. It took a great deal of time just to make it look decent before even starting the build
    2. The slide wasn't even on the top which caused problems when it was flat topped and due to the uneveness, it is impossible to serrate the top of it without punching through the metal.
    3. The rails on the slide were uneven which caused problems when fitting to the frame.
    4. The frame had to be sent back to get cut for the barrel that it came with which cost me another $200. They also told me I would have it back in three weeks tops and it took nine.
    5. I had to stone the trigger channel just to get a trigger to fit as there were burrs all over it. I also had to do this to fit in the grip safety and mainspring housing.
    6. I had to send the frame off to get the mainspring housing pin hole redrilled because it wasn't done right in the first place.
    7. Nighthawk quoted me a bunch of prices that seemed high. From $60 to put the firing pin and spring in (not fitting the stop just installing the pin/spring- the stop fitting was a separate charge), to $50 for the guide rod being put in. The total to build and fit the gun was over $3000 without any parts included in that price and I was told it would take 12-18 months.

I do not mind paying higher prices at all when I feel like the work is worth it. I will be the first person to pay for high quality. I just paid over 7k for a Supergrade and am thrilled with it. I am just kind of fed up with nighthawks customer services and quality control. I will not be purchasing any parts from them in the future.

simonp and wrmiller like this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Want to thank everyone for the recommendations as always you all are more than kind. I've been in touch personally with JandL on this and other occasions unfortunately the time frame doesn't work out because of prior commitments but, I'm certain he'll get this all figured out soon. Thanks again all..

FWoo45, UBOATDOC, WWB and 2 others like this.
  13. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Wow, my apologies for opening up that scab... sounds like you have good reason to be frustrated with Nighthawk.

14. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Hey buddy, first off thanks for wanting to serve. Huge commitement and I can not imagine it with family. I was a dumb 18 year old with no idea what I'd just done.
    Advise, put everything in a box, seal it up and use it for therapy when you return. I know it likely seems your ETS date will never arrive since you haven't even started yet, but and you'll need to trust me on this, you'll be discharged before you know it. And the therapy provided by your pistol project may be exactly what is needed.
    Good luck with everything.

FWoo45, BenchMonkey, UBOATDOC and 3 others like this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Having served as well I can attest to this, I thought after discharge that I would return and make a career out of the military, but so happens they were not at the time taking prior service as so many were willingly and willfully signing up, that they were full to the hilt. By the time all my discharge papers had returned and all my files and data in one place, the recruiter called me back, this was a year after I tried to get back in. At that point I had to turn it down as I had started College and had gotten married. If I had it to do over I probably would of been a career military man for sure. It has it's ups and downs but, like William Adams said before you know it your discharge date has arrived. Time really flies when you are kept busy on a regular basis, and what you do holds more importance than many who never serve often realize.. I also want to thank you for your commitment to serve my friend...

FWoo45, BenchMonkey and UBOATDOC like this.
  16. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    T
    thanks man! As I’ve read everyone’s comments that’s kind of where I’m starting to lean. It’s not like I’ll be needing the gun anytime soon and there will be something to say when I did it all by myself

william adams likes this.
  17. JandLCustoms

May 9, 2018
    Thanks Steve! You’ve been the most helpful person in my 1911 journey! I guess it’s into a box it goes!

Steve Owens likes this.
  18. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I like the idea of saving it 'til you can do it yourself. Believe me, having something to occupy your thoughts away from military life will be a blessing in disguise!

Steve Owens likes this.
  19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I was in a similar position to Steve's except that I didn't want to get out. That was their decision.

I picked up rank fast as my MOS was very short-handed and needed (Scout/Arty Observer), but after arriving at 29 Stumps I decided to take advantage of a two-year degree in electronics I earned while in HS and switched to the air wing. Specifically a avionics shop in a CH-53 squadron.

And life was good. The plan was to retire at 30, and enjoy the rest of my life. But I had shin splints real bad (Navy Captain told me I was a Clydesdale, not a thoroughbred), so I was offered the opportunity to get out early, or finish my current enlistment and then the Corps was going to boot me out.

I chose to leave early and spent the next 30+ years as a engineer in the high-tech/storage industry. It could have been worse. :)

The service can be what you make of it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I am sorry I cannot be of more help currently, but one thing that is very important to me is to meet the current need and present commitments and to try and not make promises I cannot keep. I am finding out very quickly that when you are such a small fish in a big pond, not many suppliers are in any hurry to help or get stuff out to you lol. So therefore it can be very difficult to make a definitive date on finishing anything. On top of that the customer service industry as a hole imo has went straight down the pipes in the last decade or two.. Very hard to rely on others to deliver. So, this is why I have always been a do it yourself type person. I was told by my Dad at a very early age, if you want it done right, or in a timely manner, you had better plan on doing it yourself lol.. That was 45 years ago now.. So, for what it's worth I have always stuck to that..

FWoo45, Geoff, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted