Need help with information/Value on my Colt 1911

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by jbadamo, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jbadamo

jbadamo New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    So I inherited a 1911 pistol and all i know about it is the serial number 58XXX indicates it was manufactured in 1913 can anyone help me figure out what I have and what is its value? It has H5 on top of slide, H on rear of slide under pin cover, P and HS on barrel, final inspector's mark on side, and the grips look right from what I see on google. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Welcome to the forum nice hello. !!!
    @ZoidMeister you still got that book that tells the value of all guns ever made??? :p

ZoidMeister likes this.

3. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Wow that’s sweet. Thought for a sec the serial was 58! Lol

4. jbadamo

jbadamo New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I wish it was 58

5. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Can't tell from the pictures if it is parked or reblued. Grips, barrel, and trigger wrong. Probably valued close to the new CMP guns.

Pardon the typo. Civilian Marksmanship Program is selling something like 100,000 1911 pistols, 10,000 a year. Should be plenty of info on the internet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  6. jbadamo

jbadamo New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    What is a NEW CMP Gun, thought they came in classes like the M1s? Rack, service and so on. My plan is to make a shadow box for it and hang on wall in study, just want to make sure its not worth to much to be a decoration.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Amazing what can be found with an internet search. You can decide for yourself where your's fits in.

CMP 1911 PRICING:
    CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

All pistols are inspected and test fired by the CMP. The shipping cost is included in the price.

8. jbadamo

jbadamo New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    So now all 1911 fall on CMP pricing?

9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Not exactly but it will cramp the lowballer "An AA rework mixmaster is only worth $500." and the highgrader "My rare veteran weapon skillfully reblued by Acme Hardware is a mere $2000."

10. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    "So now all 1911 fall on CMP pricing?"

Doesn't sound like they are selling any original guns, and in fact their advertising of the grades is pretty depressing. Those pistols won't affect the collector market.

11. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    All reworks unless something pristine shows up on auction.

But these are authentic USGI which has to be better than the increasingly common crop of fakes, frauds, and overrepresented clunkers on the market.

You are, of course, free to buy something really nice from a reputable source... for a LOT more money. Or strike lucky on a bargain from somebody who doesn't know what she has.

12. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    "But these are authentic USGI which has to be better than the increasingly common crop of fakes, frauds, and overrepresented clunkers on the market."

Like most other things, you just have to be smarter than what you are fooling with. Not too many faking rebuilds right now.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted