1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a gun for my son for Xmas. Commander .45 Jem frame and slide. We took it to the range last night for its initial test firing with a variety of mags. All good and happy with the results except the only mag that the slide will lock back on the last round is a McCormick Power Mag. I read somewhere along the way that a 9mm SS protrudes .020 farther into the frame. I had a EGW 9mm slide stop so I put it in and the slide locks back on all mags. The original SS is a Harrison Extreme .45.

is it OK to use the 9mm in place of the .45? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help offered and Happy New Year to all the Addicts.

Reactions: Mike A

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
I ran into a similar problem building my ZOIDS1911.

I ended up tapering the face of the slide stop slightly and giving a little extra space between the plunger tube pin and the stop.

The pressure the pin was putting on the face of the slide stop prevented the magazine follower from doing its job of pushing the stop upwards into place.

It's a little bit of a read, but here is the original thread.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/call-me-an-idiot-slide-lock-back-on-the-p-c-zoid-build.41714/

Reactions: Slapshot

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slide stop lobe length on a 45 needs to be .200 to .205. Any longer and you'll get rub. .195ish is usually the minimum but itll be mag specific on the ledge if itll be reliable locking open.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Harrison is in spec .203ish

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be Zoid I’ll have to revisit that scenario. It was tight and the slide stop wasn’t engaging so I found an old thread where Joe C said to reduce the pin length, clip a spring coil, or both. I clipped a coil and it worked good and I thought I was all set but I had only checked it with the CMC mag. We ran it thru the bluing tank this morning so it currently at work sitting in oil but I can check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I brought a variety of mags because I wanted to make sure it ran with all of them. CMC worked perfectly but Colt, Wilson, ACT would not lock back.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,457 Posts
HD slide stops have a tendency to be a little tight on the slide slot. If it is rubbing on the slide at all it will prohibit it from locking back on the magazine. Some times the slot in the slide stop needs to be relieved. The HD slide stops have pretty tight tolerances. And any rubbing anywhere will cause a standard mag not to lock back. Look for any rub marks on the inside of the slide, the frame and outside where it sets against the frame. You could also relieve a little pressure off the detent, but a little goes a long way. It's not uncommon on the first trip out for a slide stop to be stiff, a little extra oil where the detent pin meets the slide stop and working it back and forth will tell you if it's rubbing anywhere. My guess is it's hanging up a little somewhere and needs to be relieved

Power mags and cobra mags have much stronger springs usually, and that's a pretty good indication the slide stop is rubbing somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
I also ran into the same problem AND a tough thumb safety. The plungers on both ends were exerting waaaaay too much pressure. swapped it out and both functioned as designed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.