Need helping choosing my next EDC

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Jorge Gonzalez, May 3, 2019.

Which one of these?

1. Dan Wesson ECP

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Dan Wesson Guardian

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. Springfield Armory EMP4 Contour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Compact

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Jorge Gonzalez

Jorge Gonzalez Active Member

Jul 31, 2018
    What do you guys think?
    I am trying to choose a 1911 9mm for my next EDC. I carry a S&W 1911ES now. Great gun, just looking for a 9mm. These are my choices right now.
    Dan Wesson ECP
    Dan Wesson Guardian
    Springfield Armory EMP4 Contour
    Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Compact
    These all have some slight difference here and there. Would have put the Dan Wesson ECO, but don't care much for under 4". Let me know which you would choose and the main reason why?? Thank you all.

villdetwink likes this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The SA EMP has a very different feel than a traditional 1911. The EMP grip is much smaller. I highly recommend literally getting your hands on one before you buy. If you have big hands, you might find that you don't like it.

simonp and Dub like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I had a Springfield Loaded in 9mm. Some work was needed to get it to run reliably. The factory recoil and hammer springs were the wrong weight. The extractor was not correctly tensioned by the factory. I suppose I could have sent it back to SA and had them fix it, but I didn't.

Maybe the newer Range Officers are better, but I have my doubts.

BigJimP, FWoo45 and villdetwink like this.
  4. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    DW Guardian
    My current carry in 38Super

5. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Hell doesn't appear to have frozen over yet, so I won't do a Springfield. Fortunately, Dan Wesson is an excellent choice. My wife has a Guardian and loves it. I'm not keen on the feel of a bobtail, personally, but I'll vote that way because it's been such a solid gun.

FWoo45, Dub and Babboonbobo like this.
  6. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    There is a nice DW Vigil 9mm f/s in the classifieds. ;) I would go with DW over Springfield unless want to get some more work done to your pistol to personalize it.

7. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    My suggestion is Guardian or Vigil.

8. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    Guardian would be my choice out of the listed options.
    I have a Guardian in 9mm, she is a sweet shooter. That said my EDC is an ECO in 9mm, zero issues and shoots just as well as the Guardian.

I would pass on the EMP4 CCC, reliability was not good with my instance.

Dub likes this.
  9. Jorge Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2018
    So far I am with the Guardian or should I save a bit of money and get the Range Officer Elite Compact. Is the Guardian worth $400 more?

10. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Guardian is definitely worth it. Better parts and better build quality.

Dub, gps man and villdetwink like this.
  11. Jorge Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2018
    Ok, I have decided to go with the Dan Wesson ECP. Will be ordering it later this evening along with a few extra mags. I am sure I will be getting the Guardian eventually. As they say, can't have enough 1911s.

Dub and villdetwink like this.
  12. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
  13. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    You will not be disappointed.

Great gun. Well laid out. Quality parts & fitting. Excellent customer service if you ever need it.

You can't go wrong with that one.

14. Jorge Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2018
    Tough to choose between the Guardian and the ECP. Guardian is beautiful with the traditional look. Not to thrilled about the sights.
    ECP is nice and more of a modern look. Has the flat serrated slide, better sights and the 4" bull barrel. I seem to like the look of that bull barrel. Everything else pretty much the same. Boith are pretty much the same price and they use the same mags.
    So, do I want a more modern looking 1911 or a more traditional looking one? I am sure they will both be about the same in reliability and accuracy and they weight the same. I am going to hold off from ordering and think about what I want. Play with the ones I have and see if that helps.
    Does anyone here have an ECP?????

razorbacker and villdetwink like this.
  15. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    I have an ECP in 45ACP...
    Do you not like the night sights on the Guardian?
    While I like the Gold bead front sight on the ECP, for a CCW I prefer a fiber optic or high viz night sight.

The Guardian can be found for quite a bit less than the ECP, if you look around some.

16. Thwap

Thwap Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I have the ECP in 9mm.
    It is an incredibly accurate, soft shooting, just all around great handgun.
    I absolutely love mine.

razorbacker likes this.
  17. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I have the ECP in 9mm, it's a great little carry gun. Actually been thinking about buying another one in 45 acp. Never had a Guardian but kind wrestling whether to get a 45 acp in EPC or Guardian. The only thing I don't like on the ECP is the brass front sight.

18. Jorge Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2018
    Ok guys. My thoughts did a 180. Ended up getting the Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Compact. Going to put on a magwell and the sights I like and shoot the crap out of it. Why did I get the SA? Because after the SA, 6 WC mags, sights, magwell and grips, I still had enough money left over to get the new S&W Performance Center 4" barrel Shield 9.
    Now, I will start saving money to get the Guardian.
    Thanks all.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    villdetwink likes this.
  19. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Congratulations more is always better.

20. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Quantity vs Quality. Our never ending quest for the right decision. In the younger years quantity always won. Older, give me better quality less quantity. I guess the decision is somewhat relative to your stage in life.;)

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Thwap likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted