1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site from Floyd, VA and was looking for recommendations from you fella's on a Smith in SW VA that knows his 1911's and is obviously a good machinist to boot. Back when I started with 11's in the 70's there wasn't any difficulty finding a good Smith but now, at least for me, they're scarce as hen's teeth. Thanks to all who can give me a hand! Might be tomorrow when I'm back on this machine but will respond.
Jeff

·
Vendor
2,767 Posts
Don’t settle for what’s near you. Pick the smith you want, not the one that’s convenient. Sometimes those 2 things are the same but it’s real easy to ship a gun if it’s not.

I wish I had an answer to give that was close to you. If you give us an idea of what you’re looking to have done maybe we can try to steer you in a direction that works for ya.

·
Registered
772 Posts
EA's advice is excellent, and I also agree that we need to know what work you're looking to have done to make the best suggestions.

That said, a short-ish drive from you are both Dave Sams of Sams Custom (central VA) and KC of KC's Kustoms (NC side of the border). These guys are legendary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t settle for what’s near you. Pick the smith you want, not the one that’s convenient. Sometimes those 2 things are the same but it’s real easy to ship a gun if it’s not.

I wish I had an answer to give that was close to you. If you give us an idea of what you’re looking to have done maybe we can try to steer you in a direction that works for ya.
I understand completely. Was just checking to see if there might be one in SW. Closeness didn't matter but quality does. When I started IPSC back in the 70's I was lucky to have a Smith from Reno, NV do my first Colt. Then I did Coop's Gunsite basic and advanced and met a fella there who hooked me up with another top notch 11 Smith. Been spoiled. Am 74 now and picked up a nice 60's manufactured LW Commander and need a few things done that I like on an 11. Novak's, ejection port work, and a couple of minor changes. Appreciate your input my friend!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EA's advice is excellent, and I also agree that we need to know what work you're looking to have done to make the best suggestions.

That said, a short-ish drive from you are both Dave Sams of Sams Custom (central VA) and KC of KC's Kustoms (NC side of the border). These guys are legendary.

I do appreciate this! Just needing some Novak's installed on an older Colt Commander, ejection port polished up, and possibly some frame work. I'll contact these fella's and see what they say. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want Novak’s put on, nobody does it better than Novak themselves. Super fast turnaround on sight installs. They may also take on your other small projects too.
Didn't realize they did that work. I'll check into that. Thank you EA!

·
Premium Member
1911s for GOD and Country
1,506 Posts
Vince at Fayette Gun Shop in Uniontown, Pa is very good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts