Need quality mags!?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by ORShooter, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Hi all, I just received my Taurus Officer model 1911 .45 and it came with only one mag. The magazine is made my Mec-Gar and is a 6rd mag. What company makes a better quality mag to pair up with Taurus? Appreciate any and all help. TW

Don Locke likes this.
  2. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I prefer Tripp Cobramags

LPRoad, tac45 and azpoolguy like this.

3. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Just checked his site and he has no 6rd .45acp's.

4. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I used 7 rounders in my Colt Officers model. WO’s should be flush fit. RO have the base pads so not flush.

gps man likes this.
  5. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I use Chip McCormicks in my Colt Compact, they have 7rd flush fits that work great.

BenchMonkey likes this.
  6. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    If the performance is anything compared to the 8 rounders I use than definitely give them a look, I'm pleased with mine.

7. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Pardon my ignorance but, how is a 7rd going to fit flush in a gun that 6rd mags are made to fit flush? Wouldn't that extra round make it longer? Also, this is an Officer model not a Compact. I thought the grip was a little shorter on the Officer models?

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    We use 8rd flush fit mags in our full sise 1911s. It has to do with the follower design.

9. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Got me, I don't make them, no idea how they do it, just that they do and it works.
    Also, the Colt 1991A1 Compact was a plain Jane version of the Officer's ACP, they both used the same frame. The Officer's ACP frame dimensions set the standard for the small frame 1911s and all of the manufacturers use that frame size for their compact and CCO sized pistols. All, except for Detonics, who had their own proprietary frame size that was actually slightly shorter than the Officer's ACP, but that was before the Officer's ACP was introduced.

gps man, FWoo45 and ORShooter like this.
  10. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I use Metalform 7 round mags in my SA Lwt Compact and Colt 7 round mag with flush base plate and 2 Wilson 47D 7 Rounds for extra mags for both my S&W Compact and Colt New Agent.

Note, some filing of the Metal Base Plate on the 47D's may be needed the lock up properly.

Karsten

11. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Appreciate the feedback guys! Learning as I go. :)

Babboonbobo likes this.
  12. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I also tend to like Chip McCormick mags, but some individual guns like certain types of mags.

13. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    I love the CMC mags I got for my full size AO 1911 so, sending a message to Chip to make sure his 7rnd mags will fit the Taurus.

14. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Great folks at CMC as they responded very quickly to my inquiry! Here was there response for the 7rnd mags I asked about:

Thank you for your interest in our products!

Our Match Grade .45 mags use a follower that is in itself a spring, thereby freeing up space for the extra 7th round and allowing for the most spring pressure in a flush base magazine. Those 7rd Match Grade mags (M-MG-45CP7) will fit flush in an Officer size 1911.

Have a great day!

Best,
    Brandon Roberts

Sincerely,
    CMC Products

WC145 likes this.
  15. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Everyone has their favorite mags, mine are Tripp Cobras.

gps man, limbkiller and ORShooter like this.
  16. Don Locke

Don Locke Active Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I use Wilson 47d,never had a problem

ORShooter likes this.
  17. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    See, you can get 7 rounds when you thought 6 was it ;)

18. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I have Wilson 47D's and ETM's for my 1911's. ETM's are a little nicer mag than the ETM's but the 47D's just as reliable.

I have Mec-Gar's for my CZ's. Mec-Gar's work great but the quality of a Wilson 47D or ETM compared to the Mec-Gar's is higher.

19. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, I ordered two of these and they do not work in my Taurus!:( They will lock in but, do not hold the slide back and when I push the mag release, they do not drop from the magwell. Had to manually lock slide open and push down on the magazine to get it to come out.

Guess it is time to try a couple of the Wilson mags. Those suckers are just expensive but, I know quality is worth every penny!:)

20. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    The extra cost of the ETM's is well worth it. They are nicer mags. But the 47D's work just as well for a little less money.

ORShooter likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted