1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to the local gun show tonight and the wife was looking at shotguns. Wife is tired of sitting on the sidelines when I go duck hunting. She was interested in a Benelli Nova pump 20 gauge and a Weatherby synthetic 20 gauge. Not sure if it’s the element or not. Benelli guy said he’d do $500 it’s used and I don’t think she’d like a pump action for her intended use. The Weatherby is semi auto and the guy offered $535 and it looks new.

I’m leaning towards the Weatherby but I’m always open to inputs from people who know more than me. So between these two what do my fellow addicts think? Or what do you all think would be a better option for her?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe these are that two models. Not for sure on the Weatherby though

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What is your wife’s build and preference? I’m 5’5” with small hands and got myself a semi automatic. Mr. WC NH tried to talk me into a pump action (his preference). But when I tried a pump action I just didn’t feel I had control of it as much as the semi.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your wife’s build and preference? I’m 5’5” with small hands and got myself a semi automatic. Mr. WC NH tried to talk me into a pump action (his preference). But when I tried a pump action I just didn’t feel I had control of it as much as the semi.
My wife is 5’3 on her best days. That’s why I’m also leaning towards the semi-auto. She liked both though that’s my problem. But when actually using it I think she’d prefer the semi-auto

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,724 Posts
I've never encountered softer shooting semi auto shotguns than the Beretta, specifically the 391.

Neither of the guns you found for sale really look like "deals"...but they arent being gouged either!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think semi auto for duck hunting. If you have the funds my wife likes shooting this Montefeltro 20ga in Burnt Bronze.
Trigger Wood Font Air gun Shotgun

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never encountered softer shooting semi auto shotguns than the Beretta, specifically the 391.

Neither of the guns you found for sale really look like "deals"...but they arent being gouged either!
Yea I’d absolutely agree neither one of these are true deals. I’ll be going back Sunday to see if either one are willing to make a true deal. Especially since one is definitely used. Also cause there’s a rifle I want there too haha

·
Registered
968 Posts
I’ll have to do some homework on that model. I’d rather have a buy once cry once situation
I bought it for me cause I dig the way it looked (didn't really need it but you know that story) she tried it one day while tagging along on a sporting clay trip. It may or may not be mine anymore??

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Benellis have a NOVA pump tactical and a Super Sport 2...if you can find a older Remington 11-87 it may be a good option for budget auto. Served me well for many a dove hunt. Runs like a top and won't break the bank if she loses interest.

Good luck no matter which way you go new shottiess are fun

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
2 cents worth,

Best bang for the buck, Semi Auto Winchester SX4 12 or 20 gauge.
also don’t overlook the Browning Silver. A tad heavy but a proven action.
Benelli Montifeltro fast handling highly overlooked but for a new shooter recoil could be an issue.
Beretta look at there gas operated guns soft shooting!
Franchi Affinity 3 is no slouch

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
2 cents worth,

Benelli Montifeltro fast handling highly overlooked but for a new shooter recoil could be an issue.
Beretta look at there gas operated guns soft shooting!
I'm thinkin' recoil isn't a problem... she's loving two shotguns...

But you absolutely have to make sure the stock fits her.
This is where my problem would come in, but she's had both in hand and wants them both. So the stocks most likely are comfortable for her.

My wife is 5’3 on her best days. That’s why I’m also leaning towards the semi-auto. She liked both though that’s my problem. But when actually using it I think she’d prefer the semi-auto
Well, you obvs need to get her both. 🙌

Reactions: rhsth4

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I need to do a lot more homework. I mean two is one and one is none….but maybe I could get a rifle I want I saw instead of two shotguns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As someone else mentioned I would look for a beretta semi auto or even an older used Remington 1100. The Benelli inertia system can hit a little harder on the shoulder and some can have cycle issues if you don't hold it tight enough. I have watched women and smaller statured men choke a Benelli practically on demand. My daughter in law tried all my shotguns, and has temporarily obfuscated one of my Rem 1100 (20 g).

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Duck loads are rough to shoot in a pump...a semi is needed to bleed recoil off a 5' 3" shoulder. Trap shooting practice can determine proper fitment... A 14" LOP is likely needed.
Duck hunting is a demanding sport requiring time and physicality. I would start with bird hunting on a warm day. Small steps.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Definitely a semi auto 20 gauge. Less recoil and you don’t have to remember to pump it. She’ll thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts