Need some AR buying advise

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by OldCuz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    White oak will Fit / match bolt & barrel if you buy both together. They make top notch assembled uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gaijin, Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Geissele is out of stock on everything except large pin triggers.

simonp likes this.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Yep I’ve been checking their site / blems for a rail for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dub likes this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fuzzy, I hope you have better luck finding components for your build than I'm having finding ammo components. As said above, rough times. I was suggesting Mark @ Precision Firearms, his katana series look like really nice rifles, with base models in your price range or cheaper, easy to option up a bit (or a lot) to get what you really want. Everything is out of stock.

OldCuz and Dub like this.
  5. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Cuz, I’m not sure if you’ve had an AR before or not . If not, I’d suggest trying one out first . A lot of guys love them. I really don’t find them fun to shoot at all. I’ve sold mine and they were both great rifles . I think I originally bought them for the cool factor or I convinced myself I wanted that kind of firepower in case SHTF. Even though SHTF sure seems to feel closer every day, I don’t feel under protected without an AR. Just a thought.

OldCuz likes this.
  6. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm a big fan of White Oak. When I built AR's that's the only barrel I used. John at White Oak does outstanding jobs on his barrels.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    The BCM Enhanced LPK can be had for around $100 with free shipping if you shop around. Surprisingly good trigger for mil-spec. Has a clean break with no grit or creep. The LPK is worth every penny.

blamo and gps man like this.
  8. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    If you are patient you can still find enough parts to build one. You’ll find that the higher priced parts are still out there, which can equate with better quality, which isn’t a bad thing.

you can buy separate complete uppers and
    lowers as well.

This group https://www.cbcindustries.com/collections/rifle-kit/
    has decent stuff. I’ve never bought anything “complete” from them, but have bought a good many parts. If you’re ever in the area, they have a showroom and also wheel and deal on blemish items when dealing in cash.

It’s a lot easier to go for a complete rifle, though prices have been creeping pretty good.

FWoo45, simonp and seagiant like this.
  9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    What could go wrong ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    OldCuz, simonp and FWoo45 like this.
  10. czgunner

czgunner Member

Dec 25, 2017
    How “solid”? Do you mean a solid plunked or hobby grade rifle? Do you mean solid defend your life, built to TDP?

11. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    It’s a tough market for sure.

Pre-Covid $1,300 would have gone a long way towards some sweet guns with top shelf parts from DD, LMT and others.

Now it looks like a 3rd world farmers market in most stores...at least the few I’ve checked.

About the only guns I’m finding in stock are hunting rifles.....and some shotguns. Prices up on those, too.

I haven’t looked into parts for upper & lower, however.....perhaps there is more to be found there.

The days of being able to grab a S&W M&P Sport II for $550 are now the days of getting one for almost twice that.....if you can find them.

COVID, rioting and now demonrats with their Joe Biden Hail Mary pass.....sucks for any of us wanting black rifles & ammo to run through them.

12. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    @OldCuz I'm going to throw another name in the hat. I agree completely with Daniel Defense, I have 2 now and they are outstanding quality. However, it's unlikely to get one for $1300. For a little more budget friendly, I bought a IWI Zion. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but for $828 on GunBroker I am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is!!! Build seem great, much better than my Bushmaster that I had. Also came recommended by a forum sponsor.

Photo-Apr-22-13-41-57-scaled.jpg

13. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Get a factory BCM, they really are the best value. DD is good but overpriced for what you get. Only their barrels are better than anything BCM, and it’s not by much. I don’t see how everyone here is all about $5k handguns but cheap out on ARs with brands like Ruger and RRA.

Also, don’t build one. They may not be 1911 complicated but people still screw them up all the time and if you don’t have the right tools, it’s kind of a pain in the ass. A good AR will run for tens of thousands of rounds with good mags, plenty of lube, and few spare parts, the most expensive of which would be an $80 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roehl, OldCuz and Lineman1982 like this.
  14. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    The best strategy: Search gunbroker, semi auto rifles, and select new within last 24 hrs, select buy it now. Look through the results, you’ll find one.

Has worked for me, I’ve found some smoking deals, whether I bought or not.

blamo likes this.
  15. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Using the above search criteria I found this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874074836

Which if I was in the market, I’d buy...

Then I’d look for that Colt complete carbine upper, and call it a day.

OldCuz and simonp like this.
  16. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Thanks! I'll have to check them out for sure.

I've thought about that some. Whould be easier to conceal in my truck too.

I've shot my friends AR's and one of my sons recently bought one. I've never owned one myself.
    If things really did go south in a big way I want a rifle. One of my friends is telling me to forget an AR and get an AK47.

As you know by now. I want something for SD. Plus it would get fired at the range as well.

Brennerman likes this.
  17. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Does he have a reason for that? AKs are garbage compared to ARs in most areas.

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    He was just also telling his Dad to buy one also. His Dad was looking at an AR. I can't remember the maker but he was telling me how well it was built and accurate it was.
    I'd always heard that AK's were trash?
    This guy is much younger than I am. He's into long range shooting as a hobby. 1,000 yards, more and less. He handloads his ammo and is pretty serious about long range shooting. He's the kind of guy that dosn't ever go cheap on anything. Whatever AK it is it's something he has himself he told me.

Was just looking at this..

19. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    I'm going to buy an AR. Keeping a look out for a nice used one. Not going to build one.

switchback and Stentor like this.
  20. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    AKs aren’t trash, ARs are just better in almost every way. Ergonomics and modularity alone are enough to make the AR win.

Badabing11 and OldCuz like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted