Need some AR buying advise

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by OldCuz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    No kick. Plenty of ammo available...well usually. And so many options. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not going to buy the first thing I see.
    Probably run it by here and see what you fellas think before buying.

2. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    One more time & I'm going to shut up, You'll never go wrong with a Rock River.

switchback and OldCuz like this.

3. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Ok, let’s examine that claim. Based on what I can see from just their very generic website description, I expect that someone could easily go wrong with their $800 RRAGE carbine. Ignoring the stupid AF name, the receivers are made of 6061 aluminum instead of the standard 7075, so weaker quality metal. Also from the picture, the castle nut isn’t staked on the right side of the gun. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t be staked on the left side, but the notch is there, why not stake it twice just for that extra insurance? The 1/9 twist barrel is something else that makes me wonder since 1/7 is the standard. While other twists work well in several instances, the 1/9 has had some reported issues with heavier weight bullets. Another point of concern is the fact that literally nothing is mentioned about the BCG like metals used and QA/QC processes - MPI at the least. The same could be said for the barrel. Finally, the setup is borderline ridiculous. FAs are debated by many but I’ve never seen an instance where it hurt to have it. Even if that doesn’t bother you, it has a carbine length gas system when the midlength is better and the rail is so short that the gas block is exposed, not to mention maybe half of the barrel. I’m not aware of any good reason to have the gas block exposed nowadays, and that much exposed barrel is begging for point of impact shifts when it’s braced on something. Speaking of the handguard, what’s it made out of? It’s also so short that you’re extremely limited in mounting options. That many MLOK slots is common for 10.3 barrels and that’s about it.

While none of these indicate that the gun won’t even fire, the sum of the parts indicates that you can absolutely go wrong with RRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    gaijin, OldCuz, Dub and 1 other person like this.
  4. czgunner

czgunner Member

Dec 25, 2017
    Ok. I recommend Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Sionics. There may be more. My opinion is stay away from the “hobby grade” stuff. Like it or not, the “go to war” rifles start above $1k these days. Not too long ago you could get Colts all day long for $800. Those days are gone until things chill out.

OldCuz likes this.
  5. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    You can get in a Smith and Wesson down the street from you at FG&G for half that. Even now.

Edit: had to correct

OldCuz likes this.
  6. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    I need to get by there and check out their inventory. Probably will this Friday.

7. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    10am in the morning is the best time to go, otherwise there is a line outside till they close at 6 on weekdays, and 5 on Sat and Sunday. They get a pallet of rifles in and they can be gone in a day or so, so the inventory is volatile, but they have kept things in stock that others can’t seem to. They even have bricks of 500 9mm brass cased FMJ for less than the market right now. It’s not cheap, but it’s below the current market.

OldCuz likes this.
  8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    You left out Commercial, not MIL Buffer Tube Wake.

Wake27 likes this.
  9. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I have owned and shot AR style rifles since 1986, civilian and Army. The brands I have owned have been Colt, Eagle Arms, LaRue, Daniel Defense, Armalite, Rock River, and Springfield. Every Colt I have had has been great, whether it was a civilian model or Army issue. They have functioned under the worst of conditions that I encountered.

Eagle Arms was a poor copy, very short on features.

The LaRue I still count as the single worst purchase I have ever made in my life as it could not get through a single magazine without multiple failures. Even a trip back to LaRue (in my dime!) it was not fixed. That rifle has convinced me that spending high bucks on a boutique weapon of any kind is not a good idea.

Daniel Defense was a good rifle, but way overpriced IMHO.

All of the Armalites were very pleasant surprises after the LaRue. They were very well made, accurate, and never missed a beat. My son used one at Camp Perry.

The Rock Rivers were very accurate, well fitted, but could have had better build quality. My daughter used one to bring down her first buck at 165 yards that was quartering away from her in the valley below us. Her shot went left of the spine and took out the heart. The buck took two steps and dropped.

The Springfield is a pistol AR that is well made and accurate. How it will hold up in the long haul is anyone's guess.

After owning all of those I only own Colt and Armalite now, and have gone to AKs. I own Arsenal, Hungarian and Russian, and I have found that I can get headshots on the steel silhouette at 300+ yards with a Primary Arms scope all day long using Y2K era Russian ammo. The triggers are great, the build quality is top notch, and the ammo is cheap and easily found.

This is my Arsenal with the sight adjustment tool.

[​IMG]

OldCuz and switchback like this.
  10. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I’ve owned a couple through the years, several I shouldn’t have parted with.

I’m more into the build it how you want it mode anymore. I’ve got several excess uppers, couple of heavies. The only shtf carbine I have is a Yankee Hill, though I do have a couple of pistols.

I second monadh on the Armalites and Colts, I’d also throw FN into the mix.

FWoo45, simonp and OldCuz like this.
  11. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    I'm planning to go Friday morning.
    Work schedule has me leaving at 5 and getting back at 7 Monday -Thursday.

fieldgrade likes this.
  12. Chucknew

Chucknew Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Take a look at Windham Weaponry (was my first AR).

13. Phil Sprague

Phil Sprague Active Member

Sep 27, 2016
    RRA. I have one and it is dead on. Can't beat the price and quality.

OldCuz likes this.
  14. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I own a Colt 6920 LEO, BCM 14'5 Complete Rife, a BCM 16" factory complete upper on a Aero lower built with a BCM parts kit and a 11.5" Aero Complete upper assembled on to a Aero complete lower pistol. I have owned PSA, Bushmaster, RRA etc....

Right now if you are looking to get a complete entry level AR15 is is hard to beat a S&W Sport II if you can find one at a correct price. A correct price should be under $600. It is a basic carbine gas system but is a great learning platform.

Barnes is also a good choice. Their Basic Patrol rifle is a great value. $750 but you still need to add BUIS.

https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=1&products_id=31

If you want to step up to more up to date tactical cool. I would look to get a Aero Precision Complete lower minus the stock. That way you can put whatever stock you want on it and not have and instant piece for the parts bin. You can also swap out the grip. https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-pr...omplete-lower-receiver-no-stock-a2-grip-black

Then look for a complete upper. Like this. https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-pr...-barreled-upper-556-mid-length-atlas-r-one-16

Add a bolt, BUIS, and charging handle of your choice. All you have to do is pin the upper to the lower. You will be all done right around $900. From there you can get a Larue MBT 2s trigger for $80 and you have very nice mid gas gun.

If you want a factory gun this would fit the bill for a bit more than you are looking to pay RRA. It has a DD quad rail and a 2 stage NM trigger. For a duty type gun a fixed front sight is a good thing. IMHO.

[​IMG]

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=155342&avad=211021_e1bf02581

A BCM Recce-16 is a great choice and fits your budget. $1300 but it will be hard to find one in stock. https://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-recce-16-mcmr-rifle/[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Journeyman1234 and OldCuz like this.
  15. Practitioner

Practitioner New Member

Jun 22, 2018
  16. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    “Correct” price in this market, maybe even “best" price looks to be around $700 or thereabouts, judging from what Clay is selling them for down the road from the OP at FG&G, by the pallet load.

That’s assuming my boy told me correctly.

17. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    That sounds about right. To me they are no brainer at $600. I imagine with the run on ARs $700 might be the new normal. I remember when you could get them for $449.

18. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    For $1300 or did you not bother to read the OP.

19. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I 2nd the build your own comment. it's much easier than you think and like the other poster said you get what you want. I use Black hole weaponry barrels on all my builds, that polygonal rifling is amazing! get on email list and you will know when they are having a sale. I also like Side charging uppers and use them on all my builds too, very handy not having to reach under your scope to charge the weapon!. i would suggest getting a mid length gas .223 Wylde Barrel and an adjustable gas block, after trying many adjustable gas blocks, i found one made by gorilla machining that is far better than any i have tried, and the cheapest one too, you can get the adj. gas block and tube for less than $20 with the tube already attached to the gas block. another thing i add is the "bolt lever", it is very handy and a useful thing to have and you'll want one on every ar, its one piece and holds up very well. that and a good trigger and you got a sub moa rifle.

OldCuz likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted