Need some AR buying advise

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by OldCuz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    fall is the best time to get deals on these parts, everyone is having sales for christmas and then after christmas the dealers are selling off their stock in anticipation of ordering the latest stuff at shot show in january
    hope that helps, watch some youtube videos on installing the lower parts kit and you will see that it is easy to do and you dont need very many "specialty" tools to build your ar

OldCuz likes this.
  2. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    That’s like recommending a **** ass hooptie because it was all you afford for your first car too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewaysil80, OldCuz and FWoo45 like this.

3. Witsend

Witsend New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    The M&P is one of the best bang for your bucks out there. Good luck finding a negative word about it. I love the hell out of mine. I got it a long time ago as an entry level gun, but it's my go to ar15. Spend the rest of the dough on ammo. A not plastic handguard and a decent optic and it would be hard to want for more.

OldCuz likes this.
  4. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    barnes precision doesnt make their barrels and not as accurate as many others, way better choices out there.

5. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    im 90 miles away from black rain ordnance and i wont use their barrels,just because im in the same state.... just saying. If i cant talk a customer into a black hole weaponry barrel, I try to sell them on a wilson combat barrel ( im 45 mi. away from wilson combat)
    and ruger is a pain in the ass to get their barrels off they torque the crap out of them. and the 1st thing a ruger owner wants to do is change the A2 gas block and hand guards, so they can put a scope on. which means you have to remove the barrel nut.

Bender and OldCuz like this.
  6. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Gun show is coming up in Raleigh next month. I've always had good luck buying whatever I was looking for in the past at them. So, I'm gonna go and see what I can find. Might even find a good 'ol 1911 or two while I'm there. Plus maybe some bulk ammo as well. :sneaky:

7. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    either look for a 5.56 barrel or a .223 wylde barrel
    a .223 barrel can only shoot .223 cal, while a 5.56 barrel can shoot both,
    but a .223 wylde barrel is a 5.56 barrel that chambers .223 better than a 5.56 barrel and is more accurate with .223 and 5.56

8. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Not quite. A good 5.56 barrel will be better than a garbage .223 wylde barrel.

9. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    I’m so glad another m4carbine’er is here.

Bender and Wake27 like this.
  10. TodBuh

TodBuh Member

Aug 29, 2015
    hey wake 27 & sideways....who said anything about a garbage .223 wylde barrel? black hole weaponry is a better barrel than what you have, i bet! Polygonal rifling is more accurate and has better velocities than what any button rifling barrel you have. and .223 wylde chambers both 5.56 & .223 better than your 5.56 does

11. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Why does AR15 stuff always turn into a pissing match? In the end 99% of AR15 owners are not getting anything close to the mechanical accuracy while shooting their rifle @ 100 yards. Just about every barrel that is not defective is sufficient for most people’s needs.

It is like arguing which match 1911 barrel is better at 15 yards. In the end it more about the Indian than the bow.

If you are in that exclusive 1% continue pissing in each other. LMAO :p

12. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I shoot 5.56 in my 223 chambers with no problems. Bolt or gas. 5.56 is a higher pressure round, runs around 3400 FPS in my 24” barrel. Primarily used in 7 twist, 55 gr 5.56 shoots around 3 inches at 160 yds for me in a 12 twist. Minute of coyote.

I have Wylde chambered barrels. They shoot well, but you’ll spend a bit of time getting them there. I think a Wylde chamber was a solution to a non problem.

The one below is a straight 223 chamber, 9 twist. My bolt gun load shot less than an inch at 160 yards.

upload_2020-7-18_9-50-36.jpeg

ARs are useful tools when you figure out what work you want them to do. They shoot minute of man out of the box. Want to shoot minute of frog, you’ll handload for it. Want to shoot distance, build it for it. Want consistency ditch the magazine and get a Bobs Sled. Want to tune it, get an adjustable gas block. Want rigidity in the barrel, get a heavy barrel and the longest barrel nut. Want repeatability get a good fast light trigger.

Bender, FWoo45, simonp and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Not sure I’ve ever heard of it, but either way I’m pretty happy with my KAC and Hodge barrels. People hear Wylde is more accurate so they’ll buy a $90 one and it still sucks, that was kind of my point. Don’t go so triggered.

14. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Lol, your ignorance, assumptions, and interpretation of anything said is really really sad. I’m sorry you are so wound up and on edge.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    czgunner likes this.
  15. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    CMMG Mk47? Been looking at them all week. Watching YouTube videos. Reading reviews. I think this might be what I want. Primarily a SD rifle. I'll shoot at the range also of course.
    Who here has one or has shot one?

Greg M. likes this.
  16. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    If you want a carbine purely for SD/HD in 7.62 then get a AK, cheaper and you know it will run and run and run.
    If you are getting an AR Carbine type gun then get one, why mix the two?
    You want an AR with heavier hitting rounds than 556 then go Grendel or 6.8 SPC, etc. Though frankly that guy, whomever he is, sounds a little stupid talking about guys walking off hits from 556 - if you hit something with a 556 with a 62, 69 or 77 grain round assuming proper shot placement they are not walking it off.

switchback, zChambers, Dub and 3 others like this.
  17. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Colt is the basic/good standard but they are way over priced now. For a factory built rifle I would go with an LMT. They are close to your price point. I’ve been thru them all and only own LMT and KAC now. They are superb rifles and have military/high end law enforcement lineage. I know what kind of money you spend on your 1911s. Don’t try to cut corners on a primary gun. It should be your primary weapon. A pistol is your backup. Just my $0.02...

PM me if you would like to discuss OP.

FWoo45, OldCuz, Bender and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    That’s a bit harsh.
    I’d buy a Windham over the much recommended S&W in this thread.
    Hell, I’d buy a Windham over a RRA

blamo likes this.
  19. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Not really based off of what was posted. Recommending something just because it was your first is not a strong argument. And I would just buy more 9mm hollow points before I spend money on an AR like WW.

20. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Never plan on getting in a shoot out but then who does, right?

This will most likely be a truck gun. I want something that will shoot through whatever to stop the threat. Not looking at going cheap. But I do not care to waste money either. I want my moneys worth.

GMPHK likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted