Need some AR buying advise

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by OldCuz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Why don’t you do a 13.7” upper?

OldCuz likes this.
  2. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    A 10.5 to 12.5 pistol with brace would make for a a good truck gun. Or possibly the size mentioned above... maybe price a BCM

OldCuz likes this.

3. Zero1911

Zero1911 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
  4. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    FWoo45 likes this.
  5. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    BCM 11.5” barrels are notoriously over gassed. The pistol you’re referring to that was linked is a factory built knights upper and factory built knights lower.

6. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Let’s both agree on an 11.5” for the guy haha. But seriously I think an 11.5” with a brace would be a great truck gun. If he does go this route he should look at Rosco Manufacturing barrels

7. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Absolutely not...they don’t make a pistol. Some of the KAC dealers put them together to sell like that. The good ones don’t. Look at KAC’s website. You’re wrong.

Sorry to disagree. A lot of us would love for them to go that route but they have no interest in doing so.

8. Zero1911

Zero1911 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    It is my understanding that Chuck takes off the cheesy Moe stock (unloads them separately) and installs a brace to complete the requirements of the stock Knight’s lowers that he makes into pistol lowers. It’s all administrative stuff. The upper and lower are still the same contract parts that the full auto room clearing folks prefer.

9. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    I don’t disagree with your comment but Knight’s does not make a factory built pistol. So advertising it as such is false. I’m sure it’s a really good pistol but price is still over the OP’s price point. Plus, if I’m spending the money, I want a factory built KAC. There is a reason there are only a few KAC authorized service companies. They are required to go through a KAC certification course.

But this if off topic. I apologize for my ability to screw up someone else’s fact finding. Now, back to the OP’s fact finding...

Zero1911 likes this.
  10. sidewaysil80

Jan 29, 2014
    So if you replace the stock that comes on a rifle, by your logic it no longer a factory built rifle? Swapping the stock/brace does not alter the lower receiver in any way whatsoever nor affect its build quality. Insinuating or bringing up the fact that only a certified armorer can make such a change is laughable...and a moot point since Chuck is a certified knights armorer like the rest of their dealers.

Those lowers are 100% factory built/assembled, the only difference is he swaps out the buttstock. That is a fact.

Wake27 likes this.
  11. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Dude it’s swapping a stock. That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    OP I would still go with a BCM 11.5 pistol for your use. They are a little over you max but BCM is a good/quality build point. Over gassed doesn’t really start to make a difference until you get into shooting suppressed. Best of luck.

Roehl and Zero1911 like this.
  13. sidewaysil80

Jan 29, 2014
    What about increased wear on the lugs, gas rings, and buffer spring? What about the effects on felt recoil/muzzle climb? Those are the draw backs of an oversized gas port. While adding a suppressor will exacerbate the issues, it’s disingenuous or ignorant to say they only manifest as a result.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Lineman1982 likes this.
  14. GMPHK

GMPHK Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Most manufacturers are over gassed in order to run both weak 223 and full power 5.56. It is what it is... Lets stop this play by play thing and allow the OP to make a decision on his needs.

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    There are so many good choices in the AR arena today it is bewildering when you first get into them. I know because I'm a newbie navigating my way through this maze. I went a different path for something akin to what the OP is looking for. I have a virgin lower that I am building up with a SMP4 brace and popping an 11.85" PWS MK111 Mod2-M long stroke gas piston upper in .223 Wylde on it. This has a 3 position adjustable gas block. Going to put an OSS supressor on it - these are radial in design and vent gasses out the front so they have minimal increases in gas pressure. I'll have the whole pistol together this week, minus the suppressor.
    Jeff

Zero1911 likes this.
  16. sidewaysil80

Jan 29, 2014
    I don’t know what you mean by “play by play thing”. I know far more about ar’s then I do 1911’s so I go out of my way to spread accurate information on this forum. Oversimplifying (ie overgassed is only an issue if suppressed) is just as bad as over complicating (ie changing stocks need a certified armorer).

I’m ensuring OP like ever other ar thread is being filled with the right information and I’m correcting the wrong. If you take offense to being corrected, then maybe research before you post and stop sharing your opinion as if it’s a fact.

JNW likes this.
  17. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    For the money BCM is one of the best options in my opinion. Great stuff and a good company IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Would running an adjustable gas block help the over gassed issue from BCM?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted