Colt Need some help identifying NM 1911

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by aegiswa, May 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. aegiswa

aegiswa Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Good day all,
    I picked this one up at a local shop - any help to determine what it is would be great -
    I know it's a ~1918 Colt frame, with the GHS, SA and NM markings, the odd part is the frame serial# it's NM-7791435 as on the MILO NM slide. The barrel has the SP on the left lug and HR on the right lug - all the pieces have the last 3 digits of the serial# and AMU is on the barrel hood. It has the adjustable Kentsight and the NM front sight. The recoil spring guide is solid and feels heavy in the hand. It has marking on the frame I have not been able to find; the #8 on the right frame rail and the U marking right of the disconnector hole, the H and G are also present.
    I know pictures are important, so here they are -

IMG_1652.JPEG IMG_1661.JPEG IMG_1681.JPEG IMG_1680.JPEG IMG_1686.JPEG IMG_1687.JPEG IMG_1688.JPEG IMG_1689.JPEG IMG_1690.JPEG

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    KS95B40 likes this.
  2. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    More Pics -
    IMG_1694.JPEG IMG_1699.JPEG IMG_1700.JPEG IMG_1701.JPEG IMG_1663.JPEG

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Guy Montag, KS95B40, ronin11 and 3 others like this.

3. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I can only offer speculation base on the AMU marking, so I'll let the experts chime in.

Know its not a lot of help, and you probably already know this. The "AMU" stamp on the barrel likely stands for Army Marksmanship Unit.

4. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    It looks like a “fantasy “ gun. Someone build to emulate an AMU team gun. Nothing is genuine AMU. The tell is the rear sight. They never would have used that sight- it’s too modern of a clone. The numbers are all wrong, that serial number is a fabrication.

Roehl, switchback, Dub and 4 others like this.
  5. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Greg nailed it. Not unusual to find 1911 pistols accurized, but that one was built to deceive.

6. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Built to deceive? Or maybe the builder just likes the looks of the AMU pistols and built himself one, like custom gunsmiths building MEUSOC clones. Some of them are hard to tell from authentic guns. At least on this one most people would know that the serial number isn’t correct.

I like it and would like to have it for the right price.

Capthobo and blamo like this.
  7. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Oh yeah, that would be a really good one to own.

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
    No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

sinister and switchback like this.
  8. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Whoever built it was good at stamping or engraving, maybe the frame started out as an 80% and numbered by the builder.

I would still like to have it.

9. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Sorry, but no. Left side of frame still has UNITED STATES PROPERTY on it, as well as inspectors markings on top of frame. Never fool with anything the Feds don't want you to own, especially showing it on an open gun forum.

Local shop has already started the ball rolling by selling illegal to own firearm. And you want your name on it too?

switchback likes this.
  10. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Absolutely bogus. The nitwit put the slide blueprint number on the receiver like it was the serial number. The fake serial number, the fake AMU, the fake NM look like pantograph work.
    The USP, the GHS, and the SA rebuild stamps look ok.

I'm not sure about the slide, it looks ok but Mfr 16447 is the CAGE code for a 1984 contract.

Uncle Bob and sinister like this.
  11. sinister

sinister Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It is a bullshit gun rigged to make someone some money.

7791435 is the Army Drawing Number for National Match slides. Some manufacturers also stamped "NM" as well as the drawing number, thus NM7791435.

The slide is a 1968 made by Milo Industries. It appears to have a modern Kensight. Match pistols would have checkered wood grips vice the Keyes. The slide stop has a casting mark visible through the hand-scribed last three serial digits.

The bottom of the trigger guard is milled flat (not a correct modification, maybe to remove an owner's name, initials, serial, or Social Security number). There are no vertical striations or checkering on the front strap for a GI NM pistol.

The barrel should be a National Match 7791414, with a NM7267718 bushing. The USAMU didn't and doesn't stamp the unit's initials on the barrel hood. I've never seen a military barrel turned down like this one behind the first quarter- to half-inch, except maybe 9mms.

Appropriate for a Springfield Armory pistol would have been a "T" stamp for Target accurized. The trigger guard "NM" stamp is "Iffy."

[​IMG]

Your best information source for military national match pistols is Bill Jenkins' book, US Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols, 2005.

Uncle Bob, Guy Montag and blamo like this.
  12. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    Thank you all for your input - I plan on investigating more and see what I can find out from the shop I purchased it from.

sinister and KS95B40 like this.
  13. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    It was illegal for the shop to sell the pistol, and your best course of action would be to clear yourself and return it to the dealer for a refund. Any gun shop owner should know BATFE regulations.

switchback likes this.
  14. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Don't be hard on the seller or the buyer. It has a number right where the serial number is supposed to be, it is even "matching."

Yes, it is a fraud by somebody, but we don't know who. I suspect the dealer got screwed as badly as the OP.

15. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Back up and read my post with regulation on possessing firearm with altered serial number. Nothing good can come of owning it, and you sure don't want to be the last man standing holding an illegal firearm.

16. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    The shop I purchased it from wanted it back based on the information provided. I returned it for a full refund.

Mainspring likes this.
  17. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Glad the dealer did the right thing. He knows who he got it from.

Mainspring likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted