Need some help with Springfield ILS system

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Jerry944t, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I have a shooting friend who asked me to help him get rid of the ILS system in the mainspring housing of his Springfield. I've never taken one apart so I need some sequencing advice and parts advice.
    I assume that the ILS system can be easily removed and the stock mainspring housing used. Is this correct?
    If it is I then we buy the normal guts of a typical housing including a new mainspring. Is this correct?
    The big question is that I know the mainspring of the ILS system extends above the housing since there is no retaining pin so is the stock hammer strut OK to use or do I need a normal 1911 hammer strut?
    Thanks in advance for help.
    Jerry

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Just get normal guts. Stock strut is fine to reuse.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Thank you!

4. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Just did that within the past few days to my Springfield and it was a piece of cake. I went with an Ed Brown MSH and got a MSH rebuild kit from Brownells -- it had all the pins and plungers needed to "fill" the Ed Brown MSH -- even came with a 23 pound mainspring. The SA manual even tells how to remove their MSH -- and they supply a pin to capture their plunger in the ILS MSH. Normally, a 1911 MSH has a pin that's put in from the back to retain the plunger (it's included in the MSH rebuild kit.)

end result:

[​IMG]

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I suppose I may have been expecting too much from SA's entry level gvt model, but the simplest way to "fix" it was to trade the pos off!

Bob

6. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I considered that too. Mine is a SA loaded parkerized model -- so it was a step up from their entry level. I'm going to keep the SA and get one of the high end 1911's like a Bauer.

7. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Eddie Bauer is making guns now? SWEEEEET!!

8. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Sorry, senior brain fart. I, of course mean, Les Baer.

9. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Just messin with ya.

10. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    It's all good. I have a sense of humor.

11. DM-SC

DM-SC Active Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Do all of the SA 1911's come with the ILS? I'm asking because I've got a used SA Loaded Target 9mm on hold at LGS and it does NOT have the ILS MSH.

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I don't remember exactly when Springfield introduced the ILS system but it's been around quite a while. I don't know why but around 2001 or 2002 sticks in my mind. So if yours does not have this system it's probably at least ten years old or older if I'm correct.

13. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The ILS reared it's ugly head in early 2001. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever used that lock.

14. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Somebody could have replaced it. I do rather quickly myself.

15. DM-SC

DM-SC Active Member

Feb 25, 2012
    You must be correct...I was given 11/01/2010 as the date it was shipped from the factory, by SA CS.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted