Need Suggestions for a 20 Gauge Semi-Auto Please.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, May 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

My good friend and shooting buddy called me today and said he needed a recommendation for a 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun. He has his own mini range and now has a clay target thrower. He wants the 20 cause his wife said she would start shooting if it didn’t hurt and even his 12 year old little girl wants to try it too.

He has a Remington 1100 Youth 20 Gauge but he said he went out the other day with all sorts of shells and the ONLY round it fed reliably was a magnum shell...obviously too much for a tiny girl.
    He traded into a 20 Gauge semi with a brand of HATFIELD, which he said was the one Walmart sells. It too will only cycle magnum loads.
    I believe him on these shotguns. He’s always had problems with that 1100 Light 20.

He wants a shotgun that his wife and little girl can try shooting and possibly get interested in. He is pretty insistent on a semi-auto.

The only one I know for sure will cycle light, target loads is Benelli. Beretta will likely also feed the target loads he wants to use with his wife and daughter.

Can you all give me some recommendations for a 20 Gauge semi-auto that my buddy can get that will reliably feed the target loads he wants to use.
    Stoeger??

Any others to look at?

Thank you all.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  2. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    I'm kind of looking for a semiauto 20 gauge myself and been interested in the Mossberg SA20. Just hoping to see some reviews of it but it looks promising to me.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    The Benelli ( the Super Sport is my choice ) ...or one of the Beretta's. Either one will be fine.

Benelli Super Sport has comfort tech stock ....and its light at around 6 1/4 lbs...so its good for a young shooter that may not have a lot of upper body strength. It will cycle loads even at 3/4 oz around 1200 fps ...in a 20ga...and all of the typical 7/8 oz loads.

Dub, FWoo45 and Colorado Sonny like this.
  4. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    Beretta A400 is the one I have. It is very reliable. I shoot many clays and it will serve you well. I disagree on going light on gun weight as this will increase perceived recoil. Benelli uses a non gas semi auto that is excellent.
    Most shooter would best be served with a semi auto gas operating gun that will reduce recoil.

Dub likes this.
  5. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks guys.

That was my first suggestion to him because I have one, a 12 Gauge M1 Super 90 with a 21” barrel and a +4 extension tube on it.
    I don’t know whether he wants to spend that much though.

What would be the recommendations if he wanted to keep the price under say $700 ?

Would the Stoeger 3020 be a good choice since they license the Benelli inertia system?? I’ve read good things about the Stoeger m3000, but all in 12 Gauge. I’ve never read any reviews on a 20.

How about CZ? They’re supposed to be a nice, budget friendly shotgun too.

Any thoughts on those....or any others??

Thanks.

6. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I’m another Benelli fan!! My H&K Super Black Eagle has had more rounds thru it than I can count. 2 Argentina Dove Hunt trips, 6 Canada waterfowl trips, plus numerous local dove & wwaterfowl seasons. I’m the 2nd owner & will never sell it.

7. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    Go to a sporting clay, trap, skeet range. Check on the board and buy a used beretta or benelli. Talk to other shooters. It’s likely to be less expensive.

8. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Son has the Benelli supersport, daughter has the Beretta a400 and the wife has a franchi (don't remember the model) all in 20g.

The Benelli absolutely shoots any light target load I put in it. The Beretta is the softest of the 3 but in colder weather choked on some light target loads.

In that price range I'd check out the franchi, it's got the inertia drive like the Benelli just not a lot of the frills . Don't recall my wife's ever jamming but of the 3 she shoots the least amount .

9. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Heavier guns ...on a given shell...reduce recoil.../ but for many ladies and young shooters the weight of a gun is critical based on their upper body strength. Most of the gas guns are just too heavy for young shooters.

Budgets are important ...but the internals on Stoeger & Franchi are not the same as the Benelli...and the quality is not the same.

As a young shooter gets older and wants a little more weight in a gun ..(because light guns tend to be "whippy" causing a shooter to "slap" at targets vs staying smooth ..especially on follow thru)...I have used lead golf club tape .....and put 8oz under forend and 8oz inside butt stock on Benelli Super Sport ...... reduces recoil & smooths out swing.

I'm 6' 5" and 290 ....but some of grandkids look like my wife who is fairly petite....so I had to come up with a couple of shotguns that would fit a variety of shooters in the grandkids from young teenagers -- to petite young ladies in their 20's... ...a pair of Super Sports in 12ga & 20ga...and a pair of Browning over unders in 28ga and .410..../ and 10 grandkids later, the guns are all going strong ....and many thousands of shells.

cghelton likes this.
  10. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    1911 dawg likes this.
  11. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Tarpon Hunter likes this.
  12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Another Benelli fan here.....

13. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    Franchi Affinity Compact

Dub and Novak77 like this.
  14. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    My wife started out with a Winchester SX3 in 20. Its one hell of a nice little shotgun. My only complaint was its a PITA to clean compared to a Benelli. We hunt salt water, so cleaning after every outing is a must.

This year I sucked it up and got her a M2 Compact in 20. She absolutely loves it. Big plus is they sell different height combs and butt pads. Between the shims and a med height comb, she got the perfect fit.

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Dub and joerockhead like this.
  16. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

I agree with this....

When my son was young ( 5th or 6th grade) I bought him a Beretta 20 ga youth model... It had a removable " wedge" in the stock to adjust the length of pull...
    He shot Trap and Skeet with it … I wish I would have kept it...

I think it was a Model 3901 ?? or A 391 or something like that …
    It was around 600 new … IIRC ….

17. 455rocket

455rocket Active Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I'm a fan of the Benelli too and have never had an issue with one. With that being said, my daughter started shooting a Browning Silver 20 ga when she was in 4H and still shoots it without any issues (she's 21 now). She has countless trips to the trap and sporting clay ranges without a single problem. I've even taken it on multiple trips to sub-gauge sporting clay shoots without a hiccup.

18. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    A buddy just got a Franchi Affinity in 20 and loves it. I think he scored it on sale for $700. OTD. Franchi is owned by Benelli and they both run off the same inertia drive system. For the $$ those Affinity's are hard to beat.

joerockhead and TxTrail80 like this.
  19. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    You’re right, the Affinity Catalyst is an inertia gun, but it’s tuned for light target loads. Heck of a deal fir a gun with a ladies stock.

Novak77 likes this.
  20. Tarpon Hunter

Tarpon Hunter Well-Known Member

May 29, 2018
    I got into skeet and sporting clays 7 years ago and have been through few guns. I dislike Benelli's for 2 reasons: harder recoil and the infamous Benelli "click". The bolt doesn't go into battery all the way and when you take a shot, all you get is a click. I love the Winchester SX3 or 4. Beretta A400's are soft shooting as well but beware getting one with the "Kick-off" system. That causes cheek slap on some people. The recoil is soft enough without it

Novak77 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted