needs some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gajones06, Nov 30, 2011.

1. gajones06

gajones06 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I am looking at getting a new car but I want something cheap and good on gas. I have been looking at the hyundai veloster and the genesis coupe. Anyone have any experience with these cars? ANy suggestions. Looking to keep it under 30k but would prefer it to be around 25. Thanks for any an all help!

-Gavin

2. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a Kia Optima (made by the same company) I absolutely love the car. I got 36 mpg on the way back home from the Ozarks this summer with the air on and a 95 pound bulldog in the back seat. Can't beat it. It's the loaded to the gills version with Nav, moonroof, leather, turbo, heated and cooled seats blah blah blah, and the sticker on it was $29,000!

3. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    For $25k i would pick up a certified pre-owned, fully loaded BMW 328i (sport package/manual trans) with about 30k miles on it. It will basically be a new car, with MUCH better quality/performance/styling than a hyundai.

I would also look into a (used) Audi A4, Subaru STI, or even a Mustang GT.

4. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    We have a BMW X3 with the sport package and all the toys and my wife and I both prefer the Kia by far. Just the truth.

5. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    No offense, but the X3 is basically a bust. BMW made its name with the 3 series, and it is proven. The X3, especially the earlier models, failed miserably, and have never been known as a good car.

Also, Kias are known to have one of the worst resale values around. Not saying it is a bad car, but a pre-owned 3 series is the best bang for the buck in that price range, IMO.

6. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Get a Honda Accord. Reliable, durable, economical, safe, excellent handling and performance. $25K will get you Luther and a sunroof, and $29K, you can get a 271 hp V6 and a navigation system.
    The best car for the money - in the world!

7. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kia's are cheap.. and good. Not amazing... but good. Wife drives a sportage.. loves it.. runs like a champ, great gas.. and did I say cheap???? I want the loaded optima myself, with the turbo, which still rocks the MPG.

BMW's are awesome... but... hehe... not cheap. He still has to get insurance too....

Up from the kia.. I's say a nice entry level Nissan altima... nice car, good pick up.. and about 32 MPG.

8. soylent green

soylent green people eater

Nov 17, 2011
    You could buy a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 use3d with under 35000 miles for about $18000 and use the $10000 left over to offset the gas consumption. You would be driving an american made vehicle and still feel like a man driving it.

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I think he wants something economical,and as far as being amurrican made,chances are a KIA has as many amurrican parts on it as a Ford.(thanks to NAFTA).

Besides,Fords.. are .. junk. :tongueout:

DAT85

10. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Toyota. The Camry is a good size vehicle that gets decent mileage and being a Toyota it will run as long as you do. I saw a report recently that the top 3 cars in long term reliability were Scion, Lexus, Toyota. Guess what? All 3 are made by Toyota. I'll try to find the report later today.

I recently picked up an '04 Lexus LS430 with 81k miles on it for less than $20k. Looks brand new inside and out. Got over 25mpg on a recent highway trip (8cylinder). Smoothe, quiet, roomy and comfortable. Purchased a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for $1400 from the credit union so I am not too concerned about repair costs if needed.

By the way, I have seen new camrys going for less than 18k.

11. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    BMW's are great cars IMO... I have a 5 series with 125K miles on it and it still drives like new...( wifes car)
    Only complaint I have is it costs a fortune to fix or replace anything on that car....

12. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

I had a 96 LS400.... by far the most amazing vehicle I have driven to date.... I got the same type of mileage on that car....25 -27 hwy.
    I like to purchase higher end used/certified pre owned cars.... JMO....

And for the BUY AMERICANS.... I also have a Ford and a Dodge ....LOL
    But I bought my BMW off a American Guy , in an American town....

I

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  13. Mrs.DAT85

Mrs.DAT85 New Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Honda and Toyota are having some great lease and financing deals right now. I'm looking at Hondas right now since my Civic might be totaled. I had my Civic for 12 years with very few problems and always got around 30 mpg. Hyundai and Kia have great warranties, so I don't think you can wrong with them either. Good luck.

14. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    it's one of the best values going. These cars regularly get 200k+ miles on them and keep going. I now drive around 10K miles a year. If I keep this car for 10 years, I will have less miles on it than the Infiniti I just sold (11 years old with 189K+ miles), and it will have been on the road for 7 years longer.

15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I drive a 2009 subaru legacy. I've been averaging ~29mpg (75% hwy) and have 81k miles in 26months. My Subaru Wrx wagon had 195k in the 5 years, and that was far from stock.

16. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I cannot stand people who says "Buy American like Chevy, Dodge, Ford, etc." a lot of "foreign" cars are more American than "American" cars.

17. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    To bad you guys did not buy your cars like you buy your 1911's!!! Buy a Chevy Cruze. Almost 40 mpg and they are made in the good ol USA the same place all the best 1911's are made.

18. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My legacy was built in Indiana

19. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    My buddy's "American" made chevy tahoe, was made in Mexico.

20. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    Nissan Altima. Around $25k, 30mpg (just got 34 on a trip to FL), lot's of room. Does everything well. Just not that exciting (I have BMW's for that).

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted