1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello addicts. Happy New Year to all!!!

So I've been following & reading the thread posts "Best 22lr M1911" & decided (I think) that I'd like to purchase a Nelson Custom 22lr Conversion Kit. But the catch is that I want it on a dedicated frame that can be tweaked & tuned & one that can be fit with a fine light, 2.5# max., trigger.

This is my 1st complete year into 1911's with still a ton to learn & ZERO experience with a 1911 22lr. So addicts, I could use any help, opinions, words of wisdom, or anything else you can add.

My thoughts have been to purchase a new 5" DW 9mm Vigil with an alloy frame, using that as my dedicated lower, and selling the new 9mm upper part. My thoughts on the Vigil was the weight of the frame plus they can be had fairly cheap.

For you knowledgeable addicts, is this a good idea or a bad one? Where I live, my home, I can shoot a 22lr all day without bothering anyone. Anything bigger can become a nuisance to others. So if I have a really nice 22lr 1911, I'm sure it will be shot 10+ times more than all my other 1911's put together.

I'm semi disabled (back & legs) and have to get a buddy to take me to the range but I can roll outside, sit, and shoot all that I want to with a 22lr.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a brand new 5" WC 9mm ULC that's loaded that I could use if needed. I just don't know, the reason for asking my buds.
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate any help or thoughts.

"Blessings Friends"

Jim D. - BCD 45
SE Texas

·
Christ is my front sight.
825 Posts
I built a dedicated lower for my Nelson unit when I bought it . It's not necessary, but nice to not have to switch uppers a lot. If you are pretty sure you're just going to shoot that most of the time, I'd save the money and just use your Wilson lower. You won't be changing it out often it seems. Otherwise, I'd say look on gunbroker and see if you can find a complete lower assembly. I've seen them on there before and you may have better luck than buying a full gun and selling an upper slide assembly. Good luck! I love my Nelson, it's great!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I think it’s a great idea, but you may need Vigil in 45ACP to make sure the conversion fits without having to remove the ejector. I cannot remember 100% if Nelson is like that, but some conversions don’t fit over the taller 9mm ejector.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ya'll very much, I appreciate it all.

So you think I need a 45 lower vs. a 9mm?

Is there certain ammo that needs to be shot through the Nelson Conversion? I noticed on the order form there's a box it says to check if you plan on shooting CCI 36gr. HP's. o you know the reason for this box? Thank you.

Jim D.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=748554

Not sure on that 36 grain box, but I would order some extra recoil springs at the same time. I ran into some failures to fire after 2,000-2,500 rounds that were fixed with a new spring. This does not take long with a .22

Outside of this, I ran both standard and high velocity with the standard weight spring without any issues.

·
Christ is my front sight.
825 Posts
I'd call the guys at Nelson. They are great folks. I spent some time on the phone with Larry and he answered many of my questions prior to purchase. They use different springs depending on the ammo you choose to use. Great guys and a great product.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a SW performance center 1911 with a 3# trigger that I use as a dedicated lower. It was originally in 45acp. I never would shoot it in its original state so this one became the donor frame. It’s really simple to install on a 1911 lower. I dont think caliber matters. Never had any issues using it in practice or NSSF completion steel matches.

·
Deo Volente
8,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've owned Aces years ago and loved em. Then got a Hi Standard Military Model HD. The HD thinks it is a rifle. Now I've gone CZ and have a dedicated 75 with their conversion on it, then also got a Phantom 2 with it's conversion. Mags are available for both of those, HD mags are scarce, Ace mags require bank loans. 40 grain Mini Mags for chow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.