close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never thought I would walk out of a range...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jollyroger1, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM.

1. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Well today, I surprised myself. I walked out of a shooting range without shooting a single round down range.

Hard to believe, but true. Actually a few of my buddies walked right out with me.

Long story, but I just didn't agree with this range and the info they requested from us.

Walked in and we were told we would have to watch a 10 minute firearms safety video - that was okay and I actually liked the video. Then we had to mark a checklist of 20-30 range rules on an iPad - again I was okay with this.

Here is the final straw:
    Then we're each handed an iPad and asked for contact info, home addresses, email address, emergency contact info, driver license numbers, CHL license #'s, and some other stuff that I didn't quite make it to because I asked the lady to help me delete my info after I saw her taking and attaching a photo of another customer..... when I asked how long they hold onto that info, their response was "forever".

I deleted my info. The rest of my friends agreed that was just too much info for them to be asking for a one day range visit. Maybe I'd give up some of that info to become a yearly or lifetime member.

Anyway I could be wrong but this was the first range I've visited like this... Curious, would any of you have walked out like I did???

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    Jimhoag, Dons1911, cwoods and 8 others like this.
  2. ripdog28

ripdog28 Fondle his Baer

Nov 8, 2012
    I avoid ranges at all costs because they usually have very little knowledge themselves and for their what seems to be, government tracking, some basics required I know but you just went through, really?

Jimhoag, SCS1911, Bro. Pappaw and 2 others like this.

3. ARTT1

ARTT1 On The Razers Edge Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    That's more information than I had to provide for my lifetime membership, I would have walked out also.

Jimhoag, Bro. Pappaw and Jollyroger1 like this.
  4. NewWaveGuy01

NewWaveGuy01 Active Member

Nov 12, 2015
    A guy who ran for sheriff owns my local range(outdoor); along with his first-responder buddies. They require the same info; sans the iPad (pen and paper).

I didn't have a problem giving them my info, because they also offer yearly memberships, and I am thinking of becoming a member. Also, the public range (outdoor) is known to have thieves who hide it in the trees, and steal your crap when you're checking your targets. The fact that they require you to submit your info, and their fees are quite on the high side; help to keep the thieves out; IMO. Do you your area ranges have a similar problem?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bro. Pappaw and Jollyroger1 like this.
  5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2016
    Yeah,that's asking way too much.
    For a membership I can understand,to shoot one day-nope!
    Show a permit and some money should be all they need.

6. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Newwaveguy01,

I'm not completely sure if they have that issue here or not. Just in town for some training and this was the first time I'd visited this range.

NewWaveGuy01 and Bro. Pappaw like this.
  7. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
  8. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2016
    I live in Northern California. Pretty relaxed place compared to down south. I have an annual membership at a local indoor range. If you are not a member, they hold your drivers license while you shoot. I have shot at ranges that make you watch a video on your first visit. Other just make you sigh a release of liability. None require all that the op described. I would likely walk.

Kip, Jollyroger1 and Babboonbobo like this.
  9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things! Supporting Addict

Nov 18, 2014
    Same at my ranges, just sign a waiver once a year. They give you a punch card to review safety every year and they hold your DL everytime you shoot but that's it! Other ranges have all been the same. Sign a release, show id and your good to go. Yearly outdoor range I belong to is a safety course once and pay your yearly dues and range is open and free to use anytime you want dawn till dusk!

Bro. Pappaw, 3Baers, boatdoc and 2 others like this.
  10. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    This is why my buddies and I bought some land and built our own range/camp ground.
    I haven't been to a public range in nearly 20 years...

Will, Bro. Pappaw, Jimhoag and 8 others like this.
  11. bdickers

bdickers Active Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I would have refused this info. also. No real world need for a private company to have all of that. What do you guys have to pay for a yearly membership? The most convenient range I use is $400 a year.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015

13. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Was this range in Gainesville Va? All the ropes sound exactly what we did. Only use it once in awhile but they are pretty laid back and very friendly.

14. Kip

Apr 12, 2016
    I think the big thing is what they do with the info.
    Like Ripdog mentioned,could wind up on one of the "lists" the libs love.

boatdoc, Jollyroger1 and 45caldude like this.
  15. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle! Supporting Addict

Aug 10, 2012
    I've bought so many guns and filled out so many transfer forms, I'm pretty sure I'm already on the list.
    I might have walked in principle. Gotta draw a line somewhere

Bro. Pappaw, Jimhoag, cwoods and 8 others like this.
  16. Kip

Apr 12, 2016
    I was thinking more along the lines of the gunowner lists that they try to sneak in the papers.
    And yeah,those "concerned citizens" are praying you'll get robbed. Jerks

boatdoc likes this.
  17. yakstone

yakstone Active Member Supporting Addict

Dec 19, 2014
    I am a member at one of our local ranges and have been for close to 10 years. I go weekly and know the owners and most of the R.O.s. Problem solved.
    Have you tried to buy a suppressor lately?

18. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I'm not trying to justify the data collection just want to point out that this place is a new state of the art multi million dollar establishment. If your registered there and you come to use one of the many ranges they have you walk up to one of the touch screens, enter your phone number and the type range you want and you'll get a text when your range is ready. Pretty cool I think. Your allowed to move the shooting bench back and out of the way if you want to use a holster and draw, or lay down a shooting mat for prone or other positions. The air collection/filter system exceeds govt regs, touch screen target distance, and a flat screen monitor for the 100 yard ranges to see your hits. I have yet to see or speak to a range master as well. And your allowed to retrieve all your brass and whatever is on the floor. They provide a squeegee to get the ones past the firing line. But I think the most important point here is that they have to protect themselves and need to know who is there using the facilities...insurance. You have many people and groups that come to shoot that know nothing about shooting. And what if one of those left wing whackos show up with bad intentions? Our DL does not have our SS # so I could not give a crap. The ladies classes are booked solid for months and many LEO's use this place. All good stuff to promote our hobby with a small price to pay for some data in the end. Like I mentioned earlier, we shoot on the farm connected to our property 99% of the time. But when the weather is bad and the wife and I are chaffing at the trigger to shoot, we have a very nice and friendly venue to go to. All of course base on ones point if view about your info in the end I suppose.
    And yes the Donald is our prez and not the wicked witch, still need to do all we can to promote the sport and keep as many folks interested as possible. Safety in numbers.
    Lucky to have this nearby imho.
    http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 7:49 AM
  19. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2015
    I would have walked away as well.

Jollyroger1 and Kip like this.
  20. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    It would not have bothered me. With as much info is already out there from online purchases to gun based web sights and back ground checks I'm sure the list is already there if some one wants to use the info.

boatdoc and Mike0251 like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted