New .45, but not a 1911...

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by daved20319, Nov 12, 2018.

1. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    So my campaign to standardize on DA/SAs with decockers continues, as well as my CZ infatuation. Have enough 9's for now (5), but wanted a .45 in the new paradigm, and this is it:

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

It's a CZ 97 BD, and it's a beast, in a good way :). Weighs slightly more than my 1911, but feels really good in my hands, and there's just something about the look with the full length dust cover, but no rail, that I find really sexy :cool2:.

Yeah, I know, those grips are ugly, I've already replaced them with a set of thin aluminum grips that came with it, but even those are temporary, I have a set of factory rubber grips on the way, these are just too thin, I need some palm swell to make it fit right. Haven't made it to the range yet, hoping to rectify that situation in the next few days. More later.

Dave

2. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    After owning more pistol makes then I can remember, CZ has become one of my favorites based on value, grip, and reliability. Hard to beat them. A PO1 has replaced Sigs and HK’s as my EDC.

Be careful.....you’re going to get hooked. Nice looking pistol. I’m

Dwe likes this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Next year is 100 years for CZ, it's easy to see why

4. Plasman

Plasman Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    If you are looking for a new home for the grips let me know. Even ugly kids need a father.

5. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Already hooked, I also have a P07 and a PCR, and plan on adding an SP-01 Tactical or Phantom sometime in the not too distant future. Other than a RAMI, a 75 BD or Omega, a P-01 Omega, or a P09, that's about everything that CZ offers with decockers. Much as I like the P07, I keep telling myself I prefer metal frames, so that may go to a new home someday, or not, it shoots REALLY well :cool2:! I got that and the PCR with the intent of one becoming my EDC, but I could easily go back and forth without missing a beat. No interest in .40, but a full size 9 would fill out the collection nicely ;). Later.

Dave

Ohio likes this.
  6. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Already spoken for, sorry.

Dave

7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Please let us know how this pistol shoots for you. I want a 97B with Cajun’s E package for no good reason.
    Jeff

Old Sea Dragon and Dwe like this.
  8. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Will do, I'll be getting to the range today, I just hope I have enough ammo to give it a good workout. Later.

Dave

9. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  10. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Okay, made it to the range yesterday, and no surprises, it shot great, despite the weather (COLD!!), and the sexy but not very functional thin aluminum grips. For those not familiar with it, the 97 BD is a DA/SA with a decocker. It's very similar in size and weight to a full size GI 1911. Like the 1911, it incorporates a removeable barrel bushing that is locked in by the recoil spring plug. It's a 10+1, so the grip is longer and a bit deeper than the 1911. Grip angle is also slightly different, but it's not enough to be noticeable when shooting. Ergonomics are very good, even with the thin grips, although I'm not going to claim it's better than the 1911, just different. That may change if the new grips offer enough of the palm swell I'm hoping for. All that said, it feels really good in my medium/large hands. Controls are right handed only (sorry,southpaws), but are well positioned and operate easily. The pistol is big enough, however, that unless you have fingers like Rachmaninoff, you're either going to have to shift your grip or use your support hand to operate the slide release. The decocker isn't a problem.

So on to the actual shooting. Accuracy was very good (for me :rolleyes:), although I need to find a good instructor, I shoot EVERYTHING left, and nothing I do corrects it. It's a soft shooter, and there's enough weight up front that muzzle flip is very mild. Because of the conditions, I only ran about 60 rounds of AE 230 gr. FMJ through it, but had no failures of any kind. Didn't actually shoot it side by side with my 1911 as planned due to temperature and ammo supply, but did run a few mags through my PCR right after the 97. Turns out the 97 trigger is a fair bit heavier and not nearly as crisp as my smaller CZ's, I had a few unintended double taps with the PCR right after switching. Also got a reminder of just how much trigger bite I get from the PCR, I finished the day with one mag through the P07, and it was like "AAAAHHHH" :smile2:.

All in all, I'm considering this session more of a function check than a serious test. I think this pistol shows a lot of potential, but I also think it definitely needs some help. Gajun Gun Works is probably the premier source for parts and smithing on these guns, their "E" conversion is a bit rich for my blood, but a Pro Package, and possibly a 1911 style bushing conversion, are in the not too distant future, I think. Of course, as this is a range toy and not my EDC, it's gonna have to wait for some CGW love, right now, the PCR is at the head of the line. The competition is still on, PCR vs. P07 for EDC, if I had to make the choice right now, the P07 wins just because of that damned trigger in the PCR. But I'm thinking a replacement trigger will tighten up the race. Later.

Dave

JNW and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  11. Lmt4me

Lmt4me Member

Nov 30, 2018
    I have a 97BD also and sent it to Cajun Gun Works for the e-conversion. Also did the single action only. It is the most accurate and tuned 45 I’ve owned. I’ve owned a DW valor and several EBs so not a huge sample. The CZ is much easier to shot and felt recoil is similar to a 9mm probably because of the weight and grip. I’d high recommend the e conversion.

I also have a P01 that was tuned by Cajun. I think I got the pro package. It also is a real shooter.

12. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I just installed a CGW Pro Package this week, haven't been able to shoot it yet, but if dry fire is any indication, it's going to be a huge improvement. SA trigger pull is 3.5 lbs., exactly what CGW said it would be, and the DA pull from halfcock/decocked is even lighter than advertised, mine is breaking at 7.25 lbs, and is amazingly smooth and linear. Reset is much shorter, and the new trigger is pretty sweet, too. Really liking the race hammer, also. Pretty much puts my 1911 to shame, which has me even more motivated to get it sold, so I can finance another Pro Package for my PCR. Once I get the chance to get it back to the range, I'll decide about doing the 1911 style bushing conversion. Later.

Dave

13. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    This thread should be renamed to the
    CZ Addicts thread. Even though I a true 1911 nut job, I love my CZs

14. pingman274

pingman274 Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Been looking at these and really appreciate the range review.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted