1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
just picked up a 1911 I've been wanting since I had one in the military. I was fortunate to come across this one at a friend of mines Pawn Shop and I had been saving up for a Dan Wesson and of course this came into my life and I couldn't pass on her. She was dirty dirty however I ran 3 mags thru it without a hiccup :) and gave it a good scrubbing. 1st pic is right after purchase, and then with some vzs to dress her up a little.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think so as well plus wanted a classic colt in the stable !! Thanks for the post Gentleman. The only thing I might upgrade is the sights to some Novacs however I'm hesitant to even do that what's you alls thoughts ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just looked up serial number in database production in 1972 so for the age she's a pretty well preserved lady lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice. I am picking one up tomorrow. You have good taste.
Really that's great have u owned one before ? or just wanted the 70 series. I never forgot my original one and now just so happy to have found another at the right price and time. Post pics of yours please and I know tomorrow gonna be a great day for you

·
Never Forget
9,172 Posts
Really that's great have u owned one before ? or just wanted the 70 series. I never forgot my original one and now just so happy to have found another at the right price and time. Post pics of yours please and I know tomorrow gonna be a great day for you
I had the original version at one time and let her slip away. This one is the current version. I will post pics as soon as I can get some.

·
Get off my lawn...
15,294 Posts
John Harrison can hook you up with a gold bead front sight, and one of his retro U notched rear sight. This combo makes for an excellent sight picture, quick aquisition, and retains a very traditional look!

Best of luck, she's a winner!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The front sight on that pistol is not dove tailed, so you would have to get the slide cut to accommodate modern (Novak) style sights. This would keep me from changing the sights on that gun. Original Series 70 Colts are always in demand by Colt fans and collectors. Not so much if they have been modified...

Some old ponies are best left the way they came. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great find! Looks very traditional with the Colt grips! VZs have a place, just not on that Pony...
Well I wouldn't totally disagree I don't really have traditional grips in my grip collection however I'm sure now will start a quest for a nice set of grips to match the legacy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The front sight on that pistol is not dove tailed, so you would have to get the slide cut to accommodate modern (Novak) style sights. This would keep me from changing the sights on that gun. Original Series 70 Colts are always in demand by Colt fans and collectors. Not so much if they have been modified...

Some old ponies are best left the way they came. :)
I agree after looking at the site with the retro sights I may go that route or just leave her as is

1 - 20 of 43 Posts