New 750 setup and humming-OAL question

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Yoemen66, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Yoemen66

Yoemen66 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Got my 750 humming along. Still have occasional case feeder issue but nothing major. Will continue to adjust. Put Rubberband on bullet feeder die and it is dropping bullets . I have run some bullets and have discovered a difference between Missouri bullet co 230 LRN 45acp and my finally exhausted Friendswood bullet co 230 LRN(man they made a nice bullet...) the FW bullet let me seat at 1.27 oal but MBC won't chamber or drop test at that length. The shoulder on the MBC bullets are higher so to load them even with the lip of the brass I have to oal of 1.223. Not sure if loading to the shoulder on LRN is correct, but I remember reading that and it works. They now plunk test and chamber perfectly. Will have to live fire them tomorrow to see for sure. 20200921_214019.jpg 20200921_214025.jpg

FWoo45, SVG, Brennerman and 9 others like this.
  2. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Outstanding!!!!

That didn’t take you long at all. Well done, sir.

How deep from the front edge is your Ultramount base ?

I like how you have it set back from the edge. I’ll be using identical mount, but on a shallow homemade bench. Deep like yours sure would help me get more stability. For some reason I was thinking I’d have to be closer to the edge for handle clearance.

boatdoc and duketbrd88 like this.

3. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Nice, every bullet company will have a slightly different bullet profile and you will have to adjust the O.A.L for your barrel and bullet combo. I have had Wilson, Baer, nighthawk, DW, Kimber and a Springfield PRO. The only 1911 I ever had to adjust from my normal 1.250 o.a.l. was for the Springfield Pro, had to make the o.a.l shorter for that gun.

I think that chamber needed some finish reaming, but never got around to it. I'm down to my Nighthawk and Les Baer and they eat up everything. I would suggest picking a bullet co. and sticking with them and enjoy your reloading on the new Dillon setup. Your 1.27 o.a.l is right at max.

Nice setup and enjoy.

41 Charlie, Dub and boatdoc like this.
  4. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    congrats. your efforts are now being rewarded.

hey if they plunk and feed-- you did it right IMHO

enjoy the ride

FWoo45, Dub and duketbrd88 like this.
  5. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah, if that is the bullet you have on hand and they plunk test, feed good and are pretty accurate then don't overthink it. Shoot them up and have fun.

6. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    My press legs are 3.5 inches from the edge. I am using an inline fabrication mount not the dillon one if that makes a difference.

simonp and Dub like this.
  7. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    1.27 was what I loaded the old bullets at. Yeah it was long but that was how the bullets were shaped. These are 1.223.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  8. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    well pulled over in a pasture this morning and fired off my 6 tests into a rock on the side of a cliff from about 40 yards away. Nothing on paper but 5 of the 6 chambered and fired without an issue. One stove piped, but after looking at it I, it appears to have a case issue I had either missed or from hand ejecting the full loads. At least it wasn't the issue I was having with the longer OAL of not going into battery and being ridiculously hard to eject.

Anyway, time to run up a bigger bunch and see how it goes.

FWoo45 and duketbrd88 like this.
  9. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    Ran 40 through the gun this afternoon. About 10 refused to chamber... I think I am going to switch the Dillon crimp die with my old Lee Factory crimp die. There is definitely a bulge in the case where the bullet is.....and no matter how much I have messed with the dillon crimp die I just don't feel satisfied with the crimp I get on the loaded bullet. I can't seem to get it to taper at all, it's just the edge. So I will switch it out for my LFC die. I believe I had the same issue with my 550 when I originally set it up. Will see. I think I need to adjust the Double Alpha powder measure to get a hare more bell into the case. We shall see.

FWoo45, july19 and Speedy396 like this.
  10. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

Thank you !!!

Inline Fab here, too.

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. Dave W.

Dave W. Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2019
    It sounds like you are putting too much crimp on them, if the case is bulging. You do not want to crimp the case, instead just take the bell out. the case wall should be straight.

For a starting point, back off the crimp die, resize a case and move it to the crimp station, move the handle down all the way, then adjust the crimp die so it touches the case. The crimp die should not have to be adjusted very much from this initial setting.

12. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    I was flaring the case too much. Have that issue solved. Now trying to get kinks out of bullet feeder.

Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  13. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Good idea, there are better crimp dies than Dillon’s offering.

14. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    My observation from your photo and I run a MBF and case feeder on my 1050.
    I see a lot of bullet scraping, check your bell, smaller the better but try not to have it shave the bullet (red arrows). I ended up changing the powder funnel back to Dillon because of the "stickiness" in the lever with the MBF funnel and it just worked better overall.
    Next, your crimp actually looks light. The bell you speak of (larger dia) that you see in the case from the bullet is fine and will look slightly different from one bullet to another, slightly. Using dial calipers measure the diameter of the bullet where the green arrows point. Then carefully as close to the end of the case measure the diameter where the purple arrows are. A difference of .005 smaller at the purple is a good crimp diameter. You need measurements to confirm. Run one shell through the process and work the crimp die down until you get this. I too have played with the Lee factory crimp die but it likes to shave small amounts of brass. I use the Dillon.
    I have also started misting the brass as it sits in your brass box/container with Dillon spray lube or whatever brand. I give a couple of shots in the air above the cases not directly on them. Mix them up by hand let dry for a few minutes. This greatly smooths things out in the reloading process.
    The MBF is a fine mechanism, a little quirky to get it just right but it is a very nice feature. When I'm running the machine I keep an eye on the MBF clear tube for that occasional upside down bullet as well lol. When I see that I put my hand under the MBF and have them all drop out and throw them back in and let it refill. I have not yet been able to get that occasional one out of the loop yet.
    Take your time setting this up, run one bullet at a time until you get her right. And if you change bullets well then you have go thru the process again. Hope this helps, good luck! I've added a picture of a few of my reloads with different bullets for your observation. I mainly shoot 200g SWC for competition. 2020-09-23_6-09-23.jpg 20200923_064749.jpg

Yoemen66 likes this.
  15. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    Thanks, I adjusted the billing of the case last night and eliminated that problem. Mostly right now it is getting the MBC to feed properly. I still have some dumping upside down. I also read they recommended silicone spray to help with lead bullet feeding.

16. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    Fired 40 rounds this morning. Had 4 failures to feed. 1 not sure what happened as it chambered fine when I did it again. the other 3 refused to feed at all.

Will keep adjusting and if I can't get it 100 percent will do the FCD. I think part of it may be my brass and bullets being overworked from setting up the press and have some deformities, but will continue on.

17. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    Do you mean failure to feed or failure to go into battery if its failure to go into battery you may want to look at your sizing die. And adjust accordingly

18. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    Yeah. Failure to battery.

19. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Is the slide locking back while rounds are still in the mag?

20. Yoemen66

Aug 10, 2017
    no. The rounds just won't go into battery. Wouldn't pass the plunk test either.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted