1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a hankering for a Pro for some time, not current production but the older Nowlin barreled production. It was admittedly just a hankering not a need or a passion, I definitely don’t need another 1911 but who here does right? Lol and it’s not going to usurp a Jardine or Rogers, really it was I suppose curiosity to see hype vs fact.

It happened that I commented on someone’s thread about looking and an addict reached out to me, had an extra one in his safe. Photos were sent, price agreed to & the Pro was on its way to me. At this point I’ll say unfortunately due to work being crazy since picking up the gun I’ve not been able to get to the range - hopefully tomorrow morning that will change.

So I picked the gun up from my ffl, stripped it, cleaned and lubed it, new Wolff springs & reassembled the gun - SOP for me with a used gun purchase. The Pro is nicely put together no question. I doubt this one has seen a couple of thousands of rounds thus far. Barrel fit and lock up is tight. Barrel is also over sized lol, something I admit I didn’t notice until cleaning it but the barrel is approximately 2.2mm too long. Sights are decent though I’d prefer to have @pistolwretch tier one sights on the gun. Hmm maybe he can cut the barrel to the proper length too ;). Ambi safety as I like, nice solid engagement. Grip safety is pretty fair, trigger though if I had to guess it’s in the 4-4.5# range. It’s a little disappointing to be honest, to be fair I’m not comparing it to a custom guns trigger, I went back and forth comparing it to my stock Nighthawk and the NH wins. Slide stop counter sunk - good. The front strap, I have to assume the older run Pros weren’t 20 LPI because the front strap on current production models is something I don’t care for, overly sharp for no beneficial reason in my opinion, this Pro’s strap is just the right level of aggressive to lock in the grip & shoot all day, sweat, blood, mud - the gun isn’t going to move I don’t think. I swapped the stock grip screws out for Wilson and am trying to decide between the wood grips and some CNC Stoner G10 grips.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Textile Grey Rectangle Material property Everyday carry
Everyday carry Hunting knife Knife Gun accessory Sleeve
Textile Sleeve Grey Bag Wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nice write-up. I believe the Pros were always spec-ed at 20LPI. I've heard more than once that the 20LPI Pros were far less "bitey" than the 20LPI TRPs, presumably due to the then excellent handiwork of the Custom Shop.

Wonder if the current, post-FBI contract Pros aren't getting as much love? No one seems to know what goes on in Springfield's Custom Shop anymore.

The Nowlin barreled Pro is special and a nice grab. Be curious to know your thoughts on how it handles and shoots compared to other semi-customs you're familiar with; obviously putting it against a Jardine or Rogers isn't fair.

Regardless, The Bureau model, if you will, is legendary and has a mystique all its own. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Congratulations! I just bought a 2005 Pro. I would agree with your assessment of the trigger and other aspects of the gun. It won’t be replacing my LB UTC as a carry piece but it’s a keeper for sure. Bottom line the things got a certain cool factor that I love. Looking forward to your range report. I can’t get mine to the range for another two weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Nice grab, and I agree with you. I have one that is just a little older than yours, and it is such a nice 1911. Buttery smooth. Solid. It strangely inspires a confidence when shooting it that I cannot explain how it happens. Hope you enjoy it for many years.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I bought 3 SACS Pros during the contract period, I got a good price from SA. The Pro was as advertised, right up there with Ed Brown SF and the Wilson Combat CQB. I have one left as I sold one and gave one to my son. It is a solid well tested 1911, I never regretted buying my PROs

·
born in the wrong century
6,990 Posts
(y) Awesome acquisition.

Looking forward to hearing how it runs for you during some range work & classes.

Definitely a pistola that any Addict would enjoy owning and using.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is the SA Pro's FBI contract expired? I thought I heard that it was. Apollo 99's post seems to reaffirm this. Is the lack of contract what shuttered the SACS shop?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I really hope yours performs as well for you as mine does for me. I just love this thing. I'm sure we all can agree that some pistols just do it for you. It's sort of intangible and isn't always a money thing. I've handled and shot weapons costing almost three times as much as my Pro and my Pro still performs the best FOR ME. I'm not a wealthy guy and can't afford all the guns I'd like to own but I feel blessed that I was able to get one that absolutely ticks all my boxes. I now sort of subscribe to the "ONE GUN" ethos (financially if for no other reason lol). I've found that "one gun" and am now on my never ending quest for mastery. I hope you enjoy that Pro and that you run it HARD. I don't think you'll be disappointed. By the way, I got mine in about 2011 when SACS was under contract by my agency. It does not have the Nowlin barrel but it's a tight, smooth, tack driver with the NM barrel. SACS made 100 of these for my agency (DEA) and I proudly own number 82. The special serial number is one of my favorite things about the gun. I'm retired now so the pistol has sentimental value to me also. Please post your opinions of your Pro once in a while you put it through it's paces. Critiques from fellow addicts are most valuable and interesting to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
Congrats Simon! Looking forward to further feedback. I had a pro and likely will have another down the road. I like almost everything about them. I personally didn’t care for the sights that much as I prefer a brighter front sight. That is obviously an easy fix. The one thing that Does not work well for me and is not an easy fix, is the fact that it is not high cut. I personally seem to shoot much better with an ultra high cut strap and wish these had it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I really hope yours performs as well for you as mine does for me. I just love this thing. I'm sure we all can agree that some pistols just do it for you. It's sort of intangible and isn't always a money thing. I've handled and shot weapons costing almost three times as much as my Pro and my Pro still performs the best FOR ME. I'm not a wealthy guy and can't afford all the guns I'd like to own but I feel blessed that I was able to get one that absolutely ticks all my boxes. I now sort of subscribe to the "ONE GUN" ethos (financially if for no other reason lol). I've found that "one gun" and am now on my never ending quest for mastery. I hope you enjoy that Pro and that you run it HARD. I don't think you'll be disappointed. By the way, I got mine in about 2011 when SACS was under contract by my agency. It does not have the Nowlin barrel but it's a tight, smooth, tack driver with the NM barrel. SACS made 100 of these for my agency (DEA) and I proudly own number 82. The special serial number is one of my favorite things about the gun. I'm retired now so the pistol has sentimental value to me also. Please post your opinions of your Pro once in a while you put it through it's paces. Critiques from fellow addicts are most valuable and interesting to me. View attachment 759073
View attachment 759082
View attachment 759085 View attachment 759087
Sonic Ox, was that carried, as a duty sidearm? The finish looks too nice to have been in and out of holsters, very many times. By the hood wear, it doesn’t look like a lot of rounds have been through it.

I’m glad you got one of the DEA ones, while you were in. That’s badass. I never worked for an agency large enough to get fancy attention, from manufacturers. When we got our new G22’s, in 2013, only some of us got our badge numbers. Even then, it wasn’t correct. My badge number was 5, not 905….was 82 an identifier, for you, or did you just happen to get one and that was the number you received?

Side note, those thin blue line grips are damn sharp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts