1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an opportunity to go to the local Tanner gunshow this week end. It never fails, I always end up buying something when I go. This last trip was no exception. On Sunday, I started strolling around and low and behold, I came across a table that was sparsely populated with guns. It was populated by two older gentlemen.

I took a cursory look, and a stainless 1911 caught my eye. When I took a closer look at the gun, it turned out to be a Dan Wesson Patriot. It was the expert model. This piece is in very good condition. Not excellent, but very good. It was equipped with Bomar sights, front and rear cocking serrations, and 2 7 rounders.

When I turned the gun over, I saw the price tag. It was marked 750.00. After some negotiation, I managed to convince the owner to let it go for 650.00 . Of course, I was a little skeptical, but I was willing to take the risk. Boy am I glad that I did. When I got the gun home, I field stripped it and I can honestly say, it looked great with very little wear. So, I gave it a cursory cleaning and lubed her up.

I took the gun to the range today and put about 100 rounds of reloads through her. They were 230 gr plated xtreme bullets in front of 5.4 gr. of Accurate #2.

What a fantastic shooter !!! It took me a while to get it sighted in with this load. But, once it was it became obvious that this is one of the most accurate guns that I have ever shot. So I am very pleased with my purchase.

Does anyone else have one of these. Mine is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a beauty. It looks a little cleaner then mine. But, it doesn't matter because I am just going to keep it and shoot it. It is a great gun. I find it to be more accurate then my GCNM. Of course it is a series 70 with a 3 lb trigger. It is really, really light. I do prefer my bomar sight though.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,701 Posts
I had bought one about this time last year I believe and ended up selling it.. A tidbit of information for ya all. The frame and slides for these guns were made by Smith and Wesson. Other parts included were some Ed Brown, etc.. But, I knew I seen the S&W influence in the gun from day one when I purchased it and then later confirmed that indeed it was S&W who provided the frame and slide to Dan Wesson for this line of builds. This gun was also the Precursor for the PM series of guns the PM-7 and Pm-09 with the PM-9 more closely resembling the build I believe than the 7 does or did. Mine also was very accurate, tight and just a great shooter. Not sure if the guy I sold that gun to still has it or not. But, tbh I kind of wish I would of never parted with it. While I don't like the looks of the external extractor, they are more reliable imo I have owned several guns with them with nothing but positive and great results in that area as well.
Patriot 2.jpg
Patriot 3.jpg

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,701 Posts
The $600=$700 price tag is about top of the line for these.,, I have seen some listed who were a whole lot more proud of them than that. Not, that their not great guns they just weren't all that expensive in the beginning of their lives.. Values only held so, so... I had never seen one until I got mine and then started to see them popping up everywhere lol. They made this into about a dozen different models I I'm pretty sure..

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,701 Posts
I sold mine in 2016 for $850.00
They had some that climbed the ladder and would be worth a few hundred more depending on the model and the extras I think I seen a guy in here one time post like 8-10 different models of the same gun. Called the Patriot but then all had a secondary, like the marksman, the expert, the target, etc.. Kind of interesting.. And you can see their history and their progression in these guns. Dan Wesson does go back a ways. I think these were early 2000 guns... if I remember right.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice looking Dan Wessons guys.. I had no idea about these. Thanks for the info Steve.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so you folks know, that was the only Dan Wesson at the show. i visited every table and the only other gun that I saw was a 6" Les Baer that was over-priced. All the other 1911s were your standard production line from the S&W, RIA, Colt, SA, and some off brands as well. All were over-priced. Did pick up 1000 45acp once used cases for 10.00 though. All in all, a great time. Anyone have an extra pair of those DW grips that they wouldn't mind parting with?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Just so you folks know, that was the only Dan Wesson at the show. i visited every table and the only other gun that I saw was a 6" Les Baer that was over-priced. All the other 1911s were your standard production line from the S&W, RIA, Colt, SA, and some off brands as well. All were over-priced. Did pick up 1000 45acp once used cases for 10.00 though. All in all, a great time. Anyone have an extra pair of those DW grips that they wouldn't mind parting with?
I don't have any with the medallions but do have a pair with the DW carved and lots of stippling on them. If I can find them pix will be forth coming

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I looked in the box the DW 40 cal I have, have the set shown up above in the second post, also have the DW carved set

1 - 16 of 16 Posts