New Additions to my Comic Collection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yrualeg1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. yrualeg1

yrualeg1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    I am a huge comic book collector have been since the early '80s. I have 10-15k comics and this week added two very nice PSA certified Stan Lee Autographed posters (16x20) of two pivotal Spider-man issues... The Amazing Spider-man #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 The First Appearance of Spider-man. Both signatures are PSA Certified and paid a fair price since the passing of Mr. Lee last year. I'm kind of stoked about it. IMG_5886.jpeg

2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    We, as a collective have such vast interests! Very cool pieces:cool:

yrualeg1 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    You have 10-15,000 comic books :confused2:

4. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Better him than me, could not imagine trying to insure that horde. Got out of the game in the late 90s and made a nice return on a hobby my first wife thought was childish. Not going to get into values but the OP could/prolly buy just about any 1911 (within reason) he wanted with just a couple of issues. With that said, I wish I'd held on to two issues, the appearance of the black symbiote and the wedding. ;)

yrualeg1 likes this.
  5. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Have you read them all?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yrualeg1 likes this.
  6. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    Yeah my wife makes the same face......

Yes...When I was into collecting heavy I would typically get 2-3 copies of each book.....

I could get far more out of them that I invested which isn't a bad thing...but getting the actual value can be difficult since it's somewhat subjective. Getting the comics graded and slabbed is expensive but does increase the value, dramatically in some cases. It's a long slow process here are 3 examples. I've had this stuff since the early '80's and it's in pretty phenomenal shape, 10 = GEM Mint is the highest

IMG_5890.jpeg IMG_5891.jpeg IMG_5892.jpeg

7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I myself find this funny and sort of interesting. I'm 53 and never have bought or read a comic book in my life

yrualeg1 likes this.
  8. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    Godless Heathen

9. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I too collect comic books. I mostly center on Sgt. Fury and Nick Fury type comics. It can get expensive and they do take up space, but it was a love of my youth. Mostly I download other comics I'm interested in, usually on sale.

yrualeg1 likes this.
  10. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    I have a couple issues of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  11. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I think back to the days going fishing and camping in the Upper Uinta Mtns.....To keep 3 kids from driving the adults crazy they would stop and buy an arm full of Comics....After they were read We started the fires with them or just tossed in the trash.

This was back in the early to mid 60's

Karsten

12. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    That hurts my heart a little....okay a LOT

BenchMonkey likes this.
  13. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Ya, I know.....Just think of what was lost and who would have ever though those could have been worth a fortune back then.....Heck they only cost 7 to 15 cents.

Karsten

yrualeg1 likes this.
  14. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    I got hooked on Jim Starlins work in the Epic Illustrated magazine, where I was introduced to the Dreadstar character in the Metamorphosis Odyssey....hence the signed Dreadstar Graphic novel....plus I’m a huge nerd.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    commastr likes this.
  15. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I may have to get my old collection out from the 80s. I have them all in plastic sleeves, and possibly have some of value in there

yrualeg1 likes this.
  16. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    If they’re from the ‘80’s you’ve got some cash in there. Most if not all of mine are from the ‘80s

17. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    One of my roommates in the Marines collected them. He had hundreds and you could read them..... ONCE, had to hold them just right and couldn't fold them back. This was from 74-77. Kinda cool as the artists changed from time to time as well as inkers etc.... Lots more to them than people realize.

yrualeg1 likes this.
  18. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    I dabbled a little in LP’s in the ‘80’s now my kids fight over them so I get to enjoy them all over again.

19. yrualeg1

Jun 18, 2014
    Yeah the stories and art are what got me.

limbkiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted