close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New AlumaGrips for my Nighthawk Custom Talon

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by rgyarbro, Sep 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rgyarbro

rgyarbro New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Recently, I had the opportunity to test out the newly designed AlumaGrips with "Very Aggressive Checkering and Updated Tool Design" on my Nighthawk Custom Talon.

These new AlumaGrips are awesome!

Like my previous AlumaGrips with smooth checkering, the color is very deep black and exactly matches the Diamond Black on my Slide, Slide Stop, Thumb Safety and Trigger. They also have the same great looking Nighthawk logo.

The difference is in the checkering. The new checkering design allows me to easily establish and maintain a high grip while putting several magazines of ammo down range. I shot my best grouping to date with my Talon using these new grips!

The new checkering is "very aggressive", which allows for a firm grip. I work indoors so my hands are fairly smooth. I prefer to shoot without shooting gloves. After 100 rounds, the very tip of my middle finger on my shooting hand started to get irritated. I will gladly accept a bit of irritation at high round counts to be able to easily establish and maintain a high grip and achieve better grouping.

Below is a photo of my Talon with the new AlumaGrips:

[​IMG]

I think I was able to capture the deep black of the Diamond Black and the AlumaGrips in this photo. Both are black. Deep black. Deep.

Below is a picture comparing the new AlumaGrips with "Very Aggressive Checkering and Updated Tool Design" (top) versus the smooth Alumagrips (bottom). This picture did not capture the deep black of these grips, but I assure you they are black. Deep black. Deep.

[​IMG]

The picture below is from a differenct angle where I tried to capture the sharper diamonds on the new AlumaGrips (top) versus the smooth AlumaGrips (bottom).

[​IMG]

The picture below shows the back of the new AlumaGrips (top) which were ordered with the light weight option and the smooth AlumaGrips (bottom) without the light weight option.

[​IMG]

This light weight option really makes a difference in weight. I don't have precise scales to report the actual weight, but the grips with the light weight option feel closer to the weight of G10 grips.

In summary, these new AlumaGrips are my permanent selection for my Talon. I love the grip, the deep black, the logo and the light weight.

2. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for sharing that.

3. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    They do like nice, I may have to try a pair of those!

It's kinda interesting that they mirrored the image such that the hawk is moving "forward"...

4. rgyarbro

rgyarbro New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Hatter-

On my new Alumagrips, the hawk is moving forward on both the left and the right grip.

On my old Alumagrips, the hawk is moving forward on the right grip, but backward on the left grip.

In my original post, I show only the left grips with the new Alumagrips on top and the old Alumagrips on bottom.

I didn't notice the difference until I took the pictures. It looks much cooler for the hawk to be moving forward on both the left and right grip such as on my new AlumaGrips.

5. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    very nice...I'm considering a pair of the clear anodized aluminum but they kinda get pricey with engraving and such...like $85.

6. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice looking pair of grips on a great looking pistol! Though strictly woods for me Nighthawks look good with most grips..Hows she shoot btw?

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Nice photos, and thanks for the review. I might order some to try out. I have Alumagrips on mine, and wonder how they'd feel if they were a little more aggressive. :thumb:

Andy

8. rgyarbro

rgyarbro New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    My Talon shoots awesome.

It has the best trigger of my custom 1911s. The range officers at my gun club regularly comment that the trigger is the best they have ever felt. They regularly comment on how smooth it cycles.

My talon is far more accurate than me. I'm still working on my accuracy. I can hold about 3" groups at 7 yards. One range officer can hold sub 1" groups at 7 or 10 yards free hand, and that is without practicing much with my Talon.

Also, the matte hard chrome finish looks great and cleans up easily.

9. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm a fan of NH's. I've had the similar experiences with the trigger a you. Mine measured in at 3lbs 6oz using a Lymans digital guage, 10 pulls and tossing the highest and lowest then averaged the remaining. No take up just a quick very crisp break. My Ed Brown trigger is very close behind it. I am not so much an experienced 1911 user however my NH is on the top of my list of my 1911's so far. It was built an assembled by Kevin Hillhouse and Jeff Phillips and they did a superb job, fit and finish is next to none.

10. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I agree with the Nighthawk remarks. My Nighthawk has the best trigger of all my 1911's.
    Yes I also like your new grips.

11. deadguy

deadguy Jerry Lewis Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    grips look good

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted