1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Addicts
Always been a 1911 and got quite a few including various custom build 1911. Never owned an AR and would really like an input in this . Help me build an AR . Definitely something nice and custom or suggest me a brand . Not really on a budget since wifey gave me a go go . Any input will help from brand to caliber to all and any customization
Also this will be for range use only !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Just built my first AR. Availability of pieces and parts was the biggest hurdle. The process is fairly straight forward. Search for 'How to" videos and be patient. The first one takes the longest. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Take a look at white oak armory for barrels or complete uppers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gaijin and FWoo45

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't want to start an argument, but I differ with the above. While I haven't built a hundred, I can tell you that a "Regular guy" (who can pay attention to detail) can build an AR from parts with the tools he likely has in the garage. Having done it myself without them, it certainly would help to have some specific tools. They aren't strictly necessary, imo.

I will agree that research on the process and knowing what you're building and how it will be used are key!! I also agree that it is a FUN process!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Aero Precision Matched upper and lower, they have a lower build kit and a nice buffer tube/buffer/spring set. I've been using Bear Creek Arsenal barrels and have no issues with them. AR15Discount.com has the best prices on the rest of the parts you will need.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
To build one right you have an easy $500 investment in tooling alone.
What exactly would that entail?

I've never built one, but have taken a number down completely to "stripped" status swapping parts.

Although, I do have a couple stripped Upper/Lower's in the safe along with a "pistol" lower. I have been contemplating what exactly I want to do with them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Once you get into staking and proper torque specs the price just went up.

I as well as any monkey can “build” and AR and it will go bang for the most part. This is not to say it was done right according to professionals.
Maybe my garage differs from most, but do guys not have torque wrenches, hammers and punches these days?

I pinned and welded my muzzle device, though. Maybe I'm am better tooled than most guys :sneaky:

**Edited to be less argumentative, in keeping with my first post.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I agree, that you don't need $500 in tools. I've built 7 ARs with a simple AR wrench and tq wrench. I've never taken any classes, and I have watched a few how to videos. I've never even had a failure on one rifle or signs of wrong assembly.

AR's are legos for big kids, millions of parts that are the same, but totally different. Just take your time, buy what you like, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Help me build an AR.
I haven't been very helpful to this point. I apologize.

If you haven't gleaned from your research by now, 2 places you DO NOT want to skimp are the Bolt Carrier Group, and the trigger. That said, spending as much as possible doesn't always guarantee the best result. For example, Toolcraft makes fine BCGs that I'm told are relabeled for use by other manufacturers, yet are very affordable.

You can go nuts with triggers, too. Sky's the limit. Thankfully, I have cheap tastes when it comes to that arena. I don't like 'em light. I installed an ALD Defense Combat trigger. it's smooth and mill-spec as far as weight is concerned.

Kodiak made a list of companies making good, high quality parts, above. Decide what you wanna build and do it!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi,
If you want to build a quality rifle, try to pick a company that makes it's own barrels AND BCGs!

I went with Daniel Defense, but if you go that way, have your wallet out, but the quality is top notch and made here in the USA!

This rifle is a Spikes Tac, upper and lower, DD barrel and BCG, and Magpul Furniture, kicks like a pellet gun and hits like a hammer!
pp1 (2).jpg

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,993 Posts
I'm sorta on board with the $500 side- if you're going to use your AR for anything other than plinking. If it's going to be a primary SD home weapon, you need a few tools that you don't want to skimp on:
1. Geissle Reaction Rod (I have a Super Reaction Rod because of an over-torque issue I ran into once and an issue with too wide of an index recess so had to dial the barrel in). In any event, a Reaction Rod will set you back maybe $90, and you'll use it a lot throughout its life
2. Good torque limiter that will allow you to go to at least 50ftlbs
3. Good AR Armorers wrench that will work with your torque limiter
4. Higher end anti-seize grease for the upper threads
5. Trust me on this, it'll save your ass more times than not- Knipex parallel wrench. I can't tell you how many times I've use them to put in roll pins instead of a punch and hammer. Saves time and headaches
6. Good bench vice. You don't have to pay four figures for one, but anything under $100 and you're getting some Chinesium that will probably not have jaws that are completely parallel

So, it's easy to hit the $500 mark. But, but, BUT-- once you get bit by the AR build bug, you'll not stop at just one. And these are durable products that will last longer than you. So, buy once, cry once.

Reactions: Kodiak61

·
Premium Member
26,474 Posts
Don’t need $500 in tools......that’s bullsquat. Borrow tools, ask members to help out. I’ve helped about a dozen build their 1st rifle.

With that being said, I have more tools than I have brains. Another story all together.
I’ve built rifles as well as pinning and welding muzzle devices.
Facebook school house crap.......half of that is also bullsquat.

·
Premium Member
26,474 Posts
Hello Addicts
Always been a 1911 and got quite a few including various custom build 1911. Never owned an AR and would really like an input in this . Help me build an AR . Definitely something nice and custom or suggest me a brand . Not really on a budget since wifey gave me a go go . Any input will help from brand to caliber to all and any customization
Also this will be for range use only !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do some research, figure out what caliber, barrel length, stock configuration as well as sights only or an optic.
Once you figure that out, you can then proceed down the rabbit trail. Don’t go down the rabbit hole.....it’s deep and vast.

**Forgot to ask, where are you located?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm in the middle of my 20 -30ish build and here's where I'm at so far:

Aero Precision M4E1 upper and lower (really impressed with this pair)
LaRue MBT-2S trigger (love this thing!!)
Strike Industries enhanced LPK.
Magpul MAID grip
Magpul CRT stock (meh...)
BCM gunfighter mod 3 CH
Bravo Company Manufacturing A5 Intermediate Buffer System
BCM or Toolcraft BCG (about the same in my book and have one of each)
DD lightweight mid-length 16" barrel
Aero Precision mid-length gas tube and block.

I have the tools, but not 500 bucks worth, more like 100 in AR specific tools. The other stuff, well I restore cars sometimes so, my toolbox is pretty full.

Waiting on the matching AP handguard and I should be good to go except for optics/sights.

When it's all said and done.... I will have over a grand in it before optics, sans tools, but I would put that parts list up against any of the "High End" factory guns.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts