New arrival

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Gress, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    New arrival Eclipse Ultra II

Bitten by impulse buy bug :lol: I bought this one:
    [​IMG]

Its early edition hence "custom shop" marking Ultra Eclipse II. All steel. In very good shape.
    [​IMG]

Got it home and will see how it shoots soon.
    Don't have much experience with Kimbers except my daughters Custom II which has been perfect for a decade.
    [​IMG]

It is 3" one and the first one I own. Interested to see if all the fuss about 3" reliability is true :lol:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    ltcfb118 likes this.
  2. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Very nice :thumb:. Congrats!

3. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats! :thumb:

4. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    What you have is the Limited Edition of the Ultra Eclipse that was made in 2001. After that, Kimber dropped the ambi safety and Custom Shop marking and made the Eclipse a standard production gun.

Info on your gun:
    1202 produced. Stainless steel slide and frame, 3” barrel, black oxide finish brush polished on the flats, 30 LPI front strap checkering, fixed 3 dot night sights, laminated gray grips, ambidextrous safety. 34 oz. MSR: $1054

5. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks Kruzr. I got her for a bit less than that :smile:
    I did not know how many were produced and now you get me thinking if I could get a hold of all and buy them all I could drive the price up on this limited edition eclipse:lol:

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Sweet!

Congrats.

7. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Here is the gun I saw for sale which got my attention to Kimber Ultra Eclipse model
    [​IMG]

This is Tussey's custom mod and is a collectible one. As much as it's nicely done for a good purpose I did not like the shortened butt due to reduced mag capacity to 6 rnds. And then I saw this Kimber custom shop early model and decided to give it a try. Any experience with 3" guns anybody?

8. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Looks great

Congrats! :cool:

9. TexasLeo

TexasLeo Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I have a Kimber Ultra II 3" with the crimson trace laser grips. Flawless so far after about 500 rounds

10. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    Love my Kimber Ultra, only now I want to send it to Tussey.. I love that carry package, with the exception of the limited cap.

11. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
  12. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Gress..........I've had more 3 inchers than I can count. New Agents, Defenders, STI Shadow, but the one I have now has been the most reliable midget to date. I just finished another night at the range with her and this one has never failed. Mine is carried probably 4 out of 7 days on average. For range work, I load Titegroup with 4.6 gr and 230 FMJ but it eats Hydra-Shoks, Ranger T's or any other JHP that goes in it. I think the 3 inch gets a bad rap and that might be justified in some cases as I had the Shadow which had numerous issues from the first shot. (I could digress more). Good luck with the mini-blaster..........

tw

[​IMG]

On the other hand, this STI model was the 2nd best performer of any 3 incher I had owned. It's all steel and if it had not had the rails, I'd still have it. I looked into having the rails ground off and refinished, but that was nixed. Then I called STI and asked if I could have them make me one with no rails. They told me to order 10 and it could done. Damn policies!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  13. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Cerebrus, I like the CC package too, but not the sights and or limited cap. Perhaps will do some mods on the gun later if proven reliable (round butt is the first on the list with Wilson round butt MSH).

grainfed,
    Thanks man, the last thing I need now is 3" addiction :lol: This s&w is great. I somehow am partial to 1911 SWs (as well as revolvers of course). Now and then I steel have to deal with an urge to get sw1911PC as it is excellent gun from my somewhat limited experience shooting couple of them.
    As for STI you could've gotten 10... :smile: and then sell couple :smile: This is one gorgeous gun w/o rails I mean...
    All in all what you saying summarizes what I've read people experience with their 3" 1911s. Many are very reliable, some are not and few are terrible. We will see what this little Kimber will turn out to be :smile: For now I do not have any high hopes at all and will be as objective as a vivisector :biggrin1:

14. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Gress.......Just read your part about the Wilson round butt. If you look closely, I took a S&A Officers magwell and rounded the butt with my Nicholson, then Perma-Blued it. Took maybe 45 minutes to do the whole thing. I'll get some more photos if you like of the butt on the PRO.

tw

15. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Yeah, I see it now. Well done! Interested in more pics :thumb:

16. jblackfish

jblackfish Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Great looking Ultra, Gress! Let us know how it does at the range.

17. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
  18. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Wanted to ask since I never had a 3" - what is that you guys are carrying for SD? A +p?

19. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I carry the Hornady TAP in my Ultra 230 grains of +P goodness.. :biggrin1:

20. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Sometimes impulse buys turn out the best.
    Nice Bug, I have always liked the Ultra sized guns from kimber.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted