new build retro or ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by N of 1, Mar 20, 2020.

1. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    So I picked up a new gun recently and will have a few things done to it at minimum. Sights I can see and a trigger job. Other than that I'm undecided so thought why not solicit opinions on a potential build.

Here's the base gun.
    [​IMG]

And a quick pic from colts site
    [​IMG]

If I'd build this a few years back I wouldn't have changed anything externally but as I'm getting older my eyes aren't so great anymore. I now wear readers and sadly noted that I shot better w/ them vs without them on a recent range outing. Damn. I've had near perfect vision most of my life, so this is a big thing for me. I also anticipate my eyes will continue to worsen, cuz that's what most do. Since this wont be anything of true value I feel a sight swap will be worth it.

I'll need to be refinished, and I can't decide on blue vs park. Even wondering about a pre-aged rust job akin to zoids marvelous rust bucket. I'd imagine that this could be accomplished while leaving the inner surfaces clean and again it's no thing of true value so why not.

Any and all other mods will be considered. Frankly I wish I was better w/ photo shop as I'd love to preview this with a more modern front strap, stippling/checkering, a bit of undercut, and maybe a compact grip safety but not full beavertail. I'm not totally opposed to the something old, something new mash up but I'm having a hard time picturing it right now for whatever reason.

I've got a very similar spec'd retro pistol currently (will never look as good as this one can b/c roll marks) but it's been a while since I shot it. I don't recall any session limiting hammer bite, and don't mind the small thumb safety. Sadly I can't get to a range locally to "test drive" anything, as they are closed until further notice, so dry fire in the basement will have to do.
    @ZoidMeister @Infidel4life11 @5pt56 Please let me know whom else I should tag

2. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    With those rollmarks I'd go for a '60s/'70s retro style build. Keep it simple - checkering, sights, shorty beavertail or a rattail grip safety, put the money into the action, accuracy, and reliability. image035.gif

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    What I did for two.

IMG_20190412_154329877~2.jpg IMG_20190412_153549083~2.jpg IMG_20190615_150816261.jpg IMG_20190615_151004364.jpg

4. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Love those!^^^^ My King's is an original, not a repop, but it's the kind of build I'm talking about-

[​IMG]

Badabing11, cgff, 1911 dawg and 6 others like this.
  5. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  6. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    ^^^^^ Thanks!! A member at the shoot was ringing steel at 100 yards with these. Better shooter than me with them.:cry::roflmaro:

cgff, Integrity Arms and WC145 like this.
  7. UncleCharlie

UncleCharlie Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    I have zero guns from him YET, but Steve Owens at Integrity Arms has posted a lot of clean, OG-style stuff here recently that may be what you're looking for.

I'd talk to him.

I have a similar "retro"-style Officer build at Gritus Precision that should be alllllllmost done and ready for posting pics really soon. So excited about it.

I'm glad to see builders getting away from the radical tactical slide cut style and more traditional 1911s. Either way, you have lots of options- let us know what you decide!

Integrity Arms likes this.
  8. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't think builders are changing their ways, gunsmith's have their styles, but the person commissioning the build has the say in what they're looking for. Simpler, cleaner, more retro styles may be coming more into vogue. IMO, if you want to see some of the best examples of those kinds of builds from active 'smiths look at work by Greg Derr, Ted Yost, John Harrison, and Jason Burton.

Badabing11, azpoolguy and progun2 like this.
  9. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
  10. UncleCharlie

Aug 22, 2018
    Yeah, I'm sure that's true... Honestly, I'm new to the custom trade- this order is my first. But I'm glad to see more classic builds posted lately.

But it near-bout guarantees I'm gonna be spending money again soon!

WC145 likes this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    This pistol is actually in my possession. @N of 1 I have some really good ideas for this.. When we talk again I'll share them with you and give you a heads up on some of the specifics, that already make this a bit unique anywayz..

Got some ideas for them older eyes as well, I have the same issue and I get to try em all out.. lol Sights that is..

12. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I'd be more than happy to hook you up with a nice build.. Let me know when your ready, and I'll take good care of ya. Haven't had no complaints of yet..

13. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    For sure, just hanging around this place draws you in and few get out with their wallets as full as when they arrived!

limbkiller likes this.
  14. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
    For sights I’d do ones like limbkiller. With Harrison Design Retro rear and trijicon HD front or a wide notch Novak rear. Trijicon HD front are huge orange dot night sight I think would be easy for you to pick up.

Have Steve checker the front strap and undercut the trigger guard.

a slight break from retro is I would do a clean and simple beaver tail grip safety. These are comfortable and with Steve doing the fitment would get you hand nice and high.

single sided thumb safety that is easy to use

commander type hammer

short or medium solid trigger

matte blue or ion bond all the things

edit:
    I would either leave the lanyard loop mainspring or do a subtle magwell. I like magswells as everybody knows I’m a huge functionality guy. Gotta keep the gun gassed up so anything that makes loading the pistol easy I’m all for.

edit again:
    Flush cut and crown the barrel

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    This might be the closest to what I've thought of. Looks amazing, love the compact beavertail, and pretty much every thing else. It ticks all the right boxes w/o looking modern/tacticool

I also very much appreciate the specific advice on sights etc.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. By all means keep the thoughts coming. I'll post any updates and the final decision, once I sort it out w/ Steve.

KS95B40 and WC145 like this.
  16. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    ^^^^ this right here^^^ these are shooters

I had a retro build done on a SS colt S70 a few years ago great gun never misses a beat but it was my first in an entry to custom and semi customs 1911s. It’s accurate and gets the job done but
    If I could give one thought or word of advise on a build go with a new barrel fitted!!
    Mine.
    0082FBD0-C1D7-489B-B902-EEEFEAFDBCAF.jpeg

Integrity Arms and limbkiller like this.
  17. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    For me, if it was my gun:

Sights are a definite - I’d go gold bead front and a larger rear sight, preferably a Jardine tactical hook or one of Chuck Rogers

Front strap - serrations you give some added grip but subtle changes to the looks

Internally an EGW ignition properly tuned, 3-3.5# trigger

Kart barrel & EGW bushing

Then carry & shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cgff and Integrity Arms like this.
  18. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    I would want to do a more modern classic style like Yost does with those reissues if it were me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    N of 1, Badabing11 and Integrity Arms like this.
  19. UncleCharlie

Aug 22, 2018
    Thanks for the offer, Steve- hope it stands until I can convince GrandadCharlie that I need his Delta Elite more than he does. Hehehe. I suppose I could buy my own, but then it wouldn't be Grandad's when I give it to one of my kids.

Anyway, been watching the Delta build you've had going on. Love the concealment grip safety and the IA treatment. Hope to give you a call soon....

Integrity Arms, cgff and simonp like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks I always wanted to see how those main spring housings looked on a pistol. I usually had lanyard loops on several of mine (especially my brush pistol).

I think I'll put them on a few of mine.

simonp and limbkiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted