New bushmaster quick response carbine

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by MasterBushhhh, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    It’s my first AR. I’ve only had bolt actions and shotguns and my 1911 till now. I think the bush shoots well so far. What should I upgrade? Also is there anything I need to know about the new bushmasters?

Attached Files:

2. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    My personal option is to rid the gun of the handguard, and get one that free floats the barrel. Accuracy will likely improve. My caution is to shop around and find one that securely mounts and gives your rifle the look you want. The sky is the limit when it comes to AR's! Have a ball with it!
    The second option would be to install a good trigger. Geiselle makes some very good ones among others.

3. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Will I have to replace my gas block to float my barrel it has the swivel and bayonet lug on my block will a floated hand guard fit over it?

4. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    A free floated handguard won’t necessarily improve the accuracy, it’ll just make the barrel less susceptible to POI shift due to artificial support.

Probably wouldn’t have to replace it but those parts would need to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan swanson likes this.
  5. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    The only "upgrade" you really need is a couple thousand rounds of ammo and then proceed to shoot the crap out of it.

6. stlgecko

stlgecko I’m just here for the 1911’s

May 24, 2014
    I’d replace the butt stock since that one is cheap and sharp on the end. Comfort when shooting is worth every penny. I’d also swap the grip. Cheap upgrades and they take seconds to change.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    A quality trigger (I chose Timney) is probably the best money spent on an AR.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  8. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Hand guard, trigger, stock, mil spec buffer tube, and h1 buffer. Would be where I started. I would also replace the gas block for a longer rail if was mine.

FWoo45 and MasterBushhhh like this.
  9. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Nice solid start. Pictured is one of mine with the "out of box" add ons that I like. YMMV

Oversized charging handle latch.

Ambidextrous single point mount. The better half is a South Paw.

MagPul angled foregrip.

Oversized trigger guard, for shooting with gloves.

And as mentioned new stock, buffer etc.
    20181124_065316.jpg

xerts1191 and MasterBushhhh like this.
  10. pcso13

pcso13 Happiness is a range in your backyard

Nov 25, 2018
    Looks nice!

As was stated before, shoot, shoot shoot!

I like the mag well grips but I also like short barrels so it may not be as good for yours.

Looks like an 18" barrel on yours or are my old eyes mistaken?

th.jpeg

xerts1191 and MasterBushhhh like this.
  11. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    It is your 1st AR.....Shoot it and do some research on upgrades as well as other offerings.

All of my Bushmaster are the older original Bushmasters. I don't know what issues if any the new bushmaster have other than they are a lot less expensive than what I paid back then.

The light weight of the pencil barrel isn't going to matter much where free floated or left as is.

I have M4 Barrel Profiles, Dissapator heavy barrels, 14.5 inch medium profile free floated barrel, 16 inch Pre Ban H-Bar and they all shoot better than I would need.

Good luck and start buying magazines.......The left is hard at it in the House to ban magazines as well as the AR altogether with a vote today as a matter of fact.

If you are going to do anything pick up another Complete lower.

Karsten

Babboonbobo and bamashooter like this.
  12. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    To the OP just know that when you buy something that says it is "Mil Spec" that is not possible. Parts can be BUILT to the same process as a Mil Spec but they are not inspected and the documentation that confirms and verifies that does not exist. Closest you will get to Mil Spec is a weapon built by a defense contractor that gets in a batch of parts that were all built to Mil Spec for USG Prime Contracts and then diverted some or there was a slight issue that caused the parts not to meet the Mil Spec and they were diverted to commercial production rather than a USG Prime Contract.

It is much more expensive to document and manufacturer parts that are attached to a USG Prime Contract not to mention USG source inspection will not inspect anything that the Prime Contract itself has been verified and USG Source has been delegated formally by the DCMA to perform inspection.

Long story short here do not be fooled by marketing gimmicks. Do the homework.

13. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Thanks for info yes I have been shooting a lot I need more mags for sure it has 16inch barrel 1/8 twist

14. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Can anyone tell me what buffer tube do I have?

15. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Midway or Brownells has a HUGE library of video, get a cup o joe and settle in. ;)

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  16. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Congrats on your first AR. According to the specs, it came with a "mil-spec" buffer/extension tube.

Personally, I'd run hundreds of rounds through it before considering changing anything unless something just really sucks. Make sure it's clean and lubed. less the firing pin. I like the BCG a bit on the wet side, Certainly not dripping wet but wet. Perhaps add a little more (2-3 drops) every 100 rounds or so for a while. Just shoot the crap out it to the point of you discover any traits it might have and deal with them in an effective manner. For example, not as big a deal as some harp about, what direction does it toss your empty brass if down range is considered 12 o'clock?

I have no idea whose optic that is. Looks (internet) like it might be the 3moa red dot from Bushnell. In case you don't know 1 MOA is just a spit more than 1 inch at 100 yards. Therefore, a 3 moa "dot" will cover a 3" area (diameter) on a target at 100 yards, 6" at 200 yards, etc.

If you're ok with that red dot, you can cheat. No need but what the heck. Your choice. Instead of centering the dot on a spot at 100 yards or whatever distance for that matter, you can "refine" the resolution" by using only the edge of the dot. Much of this, of course, is up to the skills and abilities of the shooter. Nothing better than repetitions to achieve Nirvana.:D That's just a tip that you can give thought to down the road to be more precise at distance with that particular optic. Just shoot whenever possible, amass perhaps a 1000 rounds through the barrel and then give thought to any potential changes you'd be interested in. We can then all pow wow and help you spend your hard-earned money.

Lastly, do you understand how that little red dot works regarding the windage and elevation adjustments? They can be confusing to folks for some reason.

The adjustments are likely in increments of 1moa (click value) on this particular red dot. For each click the point of impact will be moved 1 inch at 100 yds. At only 50 yards, to move the POI 1", you must move it 2 clicks. At 25 yards, 4 clicks. Many people, to include cops I know, can not get that into their collective heads. They think it should be the opposite, but it ain't. Lastly, lastly, if you have an astigmatism in the eye you shoot with, the red dot might very well suck. We'll deal with that at your convenience. Questions?

17. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Just put new muzzle brake on I have Magpul angle fore grip new pistol grip and rise drop in trigger on its way

Attached Files:

BenchMonkey likes this.
  18. MasterBushhhh

MasterBushhhh Member

Sep 26, 2018
    ohhhh and I’m getting a rifle buffer to smooth things out a bit and Magpul fixed stock I don’t want a short rattling adjustable I’m just waiting for it in mail now I’m looking for a nice low power adjustable red dot scope I also have 5d tactical pro jig coming I’m building a pistol next from scratch I’ve been seriously bit by the ar bug haha

19. FaaWrenchBender

FaaWrenchBender Active Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I cannot comment on your groups since the photo is so small hardly see it. That may be a problem on my end as I am on my phone. The bushmaster company of today is not what it used to be 15, 20 or even 30 years ago. They are a lower to mid level manufacture these days.

Personally I don’t think you need to modify anything. If you feel you must, the rifle might better suit your style or needs with different A different grip and stock. Personally, I would get a quality optic and light. Then buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the piss out of it

pcso13 and limbkiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted