New, but hooked bad, from Eastern Pennsyvlania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FullySupported, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    Hi Folks!

I am in my forties and have long had an interest in firearms, but hadn't hadn't shot or owned much until the last six months, after many years break from shooting (no good reason, just into other things).

I shot my uncle's all stainless 45 ACP Colt Officer's Model over 30 years ago and have always appreciated 1911s. Back then, wrongly of course, I would have thought of any non-Colt 1911 as being equivalent to store-brand cola.

When I recently got back into shoot and firearms acquisition in a big way, 45 ACP just didn't feel like an essential caliber. Nonetheless, I soon bought a Ruger SR1911 Target model in 10mm. It works flawless and shoots accurately. Somehow, though, it is not a Colt and not super beautiful. I find the letter on the slide too large, though I realize this is minor.

Then, a guy at the LGS was raving about how Nighthawk Customs are all so wonderful. Nighthawk happened to have one in stock in 10mm. GA precision model. Hi-power treatment to front of slide. Nice looking, but I must say these modern finishes don't have the charm of traditional bluing (IMHO). Also, the gun had to go back immediately because it would lock open repeatedly, even with rounds left in the magazine. Also, there was some roughness under the breach face that a local gunsmith at the range identified too. Nighthawk were good about fixing everything and returned it to me. It works pretty well now, but will still lock open when it shouldn't with Sig Sauer V-Crown 180gr hollow points. That ammo is a bit hotter than the Magtech 180gr FMJ, so I thought it might be that, but then some pretty hot Underwood rounds didn't do it, so who knows?

Then I tried a Rock Island 45 ACP match pistol, and nothing was wrong with it, but it didn't work out for me. There wasn't anything wrong with the gun. It's just a long story that I am going to skip.

So then I bought a used two-tone 45 ACP Colt Combat Elite that seemed to have various things done to it, though I really don't know all of it. In any case, this is a beautiful gun, works flawlessly, and shoots accurately. I am definitely happy with this purchase. I am not used to buying things used and worry that one is buying somebody else's problems, but I have found that used guns from reputable sources seem to be a good way to save to money. With a 1911, it also seems to be a way to get one that has been properly broken in.

Having had such good luck with a Colt, I bought another, new, one. This one is a 38 Super Special Combat Government Two Tone with the adjustable sights. Initially, I had some issues with it, but I think it was the American Eagle ammunition or me. Switching up ammo and having it cleaned by a knowledgeable person seems to have done the trick. Perhaps I was limp wristing it, but I really don't know. In any case, this is now my favorite gun in the whole world. I shoot beautiful little groups. Sig Sauer 125 gr FMJ worked well. However, I am even more pleased with Atlanta Arms 38 super 125 Gr JHP Elite Major. This is just phenomenal stuff. It's not even been a week and I bought a second case because they seem to run out of inventory frequently.

I will just say again that this Colt Special Combat Government with that Atlanta Arms ammo is pure shooting bliss. And, no, nobody is paying me to say that. And, no, I'm no type of expert that my opinion means anything, either.

But, wait, there's more. Then I bought an aluminum-framed Christensen Arms A5 1911 in 9mm. Very nicely made. Shoots accurately. The fixed sights are designed for tactical uses. The bottom u is shaped like a "U" instead of a rectangular notch. The front sight is round on top. The back notch is big compared to the front sight. There are three tritium dots for lining up. Still, I just don't seem to be as good at lining them up consistently as I am with tighter rectangular notches. Then, the Mec-Gar magazine seemed to have a problem when full up, where the first round would be jammed into the feed ramp and not go into the chamber. I figured out that keeping the 9mm round just a tad forward would fix this, but that wouldn't be a good fix in any sort of urgent circumstances. The problem seems to be going away as the magazine spring gets worn in a bit. I also tried a Wilson Combat extended 10-round magazine that mainly seems to avoid this problem from the start. I have noticed that the front of the magazine goes up a little farther in the gun and jams into the bottom of the feed ramp pretty firmly. I mention this because I saw somebody complaining about the Wilson Combat magazines damaging feed ramps on guns he was working on for some team. Still, this Christensen Arms gun does seem like an excellent gun. It has a Nowlin barrel and bushing, btw. I doubt I will end up liking it quite as much as the 38 Super Colt Special Combat Government, but 9mm sure is cheaper to shoot. As far as 9mm goes, I will say that my new Sig (USA-made) P210 Target does an excellent job, but I don't want to provoke anybody here on a 1911 forum. Also, I have never handled a German or Swiss P210 so I can't compare.

Is anybody still reading this? This post has grown rather too long, I am sorry.

So, now, I need to figure out what 1911 to buy next. An Ed Brown? A Les Baer with a 1.5" guarantee? (Somebody says they don't like the hard fit in Les Baers and they loosen up in an unsatisfactory way, is this true?). Or, should I get the Colt Custom Competition Limited in 45 ACP? Perhaps, try a Wilson Combat? I chatted with a great guy in Virginia named David Sams. He seems to make some very accurate 1911s. He will even guarantee a 1" group at 50 yards (in 9mm only, 1.5" in 45 ACP). I would just need to find a way to be patient and wait about a year.

One last aside, I'm not a very good shooter and my eyes are at a point where they're slowly getting worse. Still, I figure if the gun and the ammo are super accurate, I know the large size of the group is all on me.

No, I lied, yet one more thing. I enjoy looking at the 1911s and I enjoy static bullseye shooting at the range. I don't really need them to be practical for defense or tactical purposes.

2. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Welcome from AZ...

I don't hesitate to confess that many of the guns I have (ok, most of them) are more accurate than I am... that doesn't mean I couldn't serious hurt someone if I had to. As they say. "maximum trama" o_O

desert rain.jpg

TexasPatriot59, july19, Lou1 and 10 others like this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Welcome to the forum from Nevada

P1040957.JPG

TexasPatriot59, july19, Lou1 and 12 others like this.
  4. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    "One last aside, I'm not a very good shooter and my eyes are at a point where they're slowly getting worse. Still, I figure if the gun and the ammo are super accurate, I know the large size of the group is all on me."

Bodymass and 45acp, close enough is usually good enough.
    Welcome to this fine forum, enjoy all it has to offer...

Lou1, WhoIsJohnGalt?, tac45 and 4 others like this.
  5. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Welcome from Illinois 50309836_2135360913223208_5511023973749489664_n.jpg

Lou1, WhoIsJohnGalt?, tac45 and 8 others like this.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    YES & holy mackerel Andy my eyes are watering LOL.
    Well welcome from Western NC
    I think i'll post a pic as my 2 typing fingers are sore just from reading your post. Glad to see another Colt lover, even ifin you use the itty bitty boolets. I like the Big Boolets 45 ACP and the like :) But hey you are 1 of us a 1911 addict, you will fit right in here.

One who does not fit however is, Kim jung Dumbazz.
    Looks good on his knees LOL.

KimCHEUN.png

7. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Howdy from the Bluegrass!

20190201_171943.jpg

Lou1, Mike A, WhoIsJohnGalt? and 8 others like this.
  8. BenchMonkey

Nov 28, 2018
  9. BenchMonkey

Nov 28, 2018
  10. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Welcome From Michigan

SUMMERS GOTTA GET HERE SOON …...

IMG_1885.JPG

july19, Lou1, WhoIsJohnGalt? and 9 others like this.
  11. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Welcome FullySupported, and enjoy this great forum!
    As far as what to buy next, well that is an individual choice due to individual likes, wants and needs...not to mention budget. Do you want a full house custom which can cost up to and beyond 10 grand? A nearly full custom that goes for up to 10 grand, a semi-custom / production that can go up to 6 or 7 grand? I mean there is a literal galaxy of options.

Here is a good primer and must read: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

Bottom line there is a ton of great options out there, I know you will find one you love.

IMG_0215.JPG

12. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    4FE9699B-DEB4-4149-90F3-92B3AC12B91F.jpeg Welcome from Pittsburgh! Great intro! You’ll find a ton of helpful info and many knowledgeable members here.

13. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Welcome aboard from east Missouri!

44F21DB5-686B-458C-9041-26AA7840079C.jpeg

july19, Lou1, WhoIsJohnGalt? and 7 others like this.
  14. Chuck73080

Chuck73080 1911 addict Supporting Addict

Jan 28, 2019
    FullySupported,

Welcome to the forum, you'll fit right in here.

I was sorry to hear about your Rock Island troubles, having a blast with mine. She's the one I dance with first and most at the range. Alas at 3lbs 9oz she isn't exactly light on her feet.

NEW 52009.jpg

The other girls get jealous, but their plastic personalities get over it.

15. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    welcome to this show

get a baer next. ignore the internet gurus.. just get one and see what a great piece they make

16. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Welcome from Michigan !

[​IMG]

joerockhead, july19, Lou1 and 7 others like this.
  17. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome from Alaska! And that is a great intro! 20150913_120004.jpg

18. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    Welcome from Michigan!

19. Jim PHL

Jim PHL Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Welcome from the big city fellow PA citizen. Boy, you really jumped in with both feet! Congrats and good luck both with your new purchases and your next shopping mission.

20. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    OP , would you mind repeating that. ? :confused2:

WHEELS, Lou1, FullySupported and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.