1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my passions, medicine and 1911's, have recently crossed paths...For a while now, I have been on a rotation at the Forensic Pathology Center (aka helping with autopsies). It has been very interesting to say the least and has reassured my decision to carry a pistol everyday. It has also reassured me that a gun chambered in 9mm has plenty of stopping power. Really, I've wanted another 9mm 1911 since I sold my Springfield Pro 9mm a few months back, but now I have justified it to myself again. I missed how easy it shot, but I wanted one a little smaller so that I could carry it comfortably and consistently. I knew I wanted a Wilson Combat... and boy did I get lucky!

Supergrade.jpg

I found this "used" Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact 9mm on Gunbroker and somehow won it for little more than a new Compact CQB. I'd heard the market was soft, I didn't know how soft, but I was (and still am) overjoyed!! After picking it up from my FFL it appears to have been used very little, and it only has a few little marks here and there. It has some nice upgrades like a lightweight frame and checkering under/front of the trigger guard... and most importantly, a target with a single hole :). This gun is very well fit and finished, just look at the back of this slide! I think they won "hide the extractor"!

IMG_1278.jpg

Also, when racking the slide it feels different than my Pros and TGO, its just silky smooth and brings a smile to my face. I really can't find a single thing I would change. Now I am just rambling, but this 1911 is everything I need in a EDC gun. I'm waiting on a new kydex holster, and a few thousand rounds of 9mm...I can't wait to get this to the range, run it through its paces for a thousand rounds or so, and start carrying it everyday.

One thing I do want to ask is the following: Is there anything I should be aware of with ammo selection for these Wilson compact 1911s? The info stated to use 124gr ammo at the beginning so that is what I ordered. I'm curious if anyone has ran into any ammo that doesn't seem to work in these? I plan on using Federal HST 124gr or 147gr for carry.

I will update with a range report when I have time! :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Congrats on a nice pick-up! Treat that beauty to a nice leather carry rig too, while you're ordering anyway. :)

I have zero experience with a 9mm 1911 so I'll let others weigh in on the ammo selection.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: BennyAdeline

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Beauty of a carry piece! Congrats and thanks for the story.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Very nice ....

That gun should run just fine on 115gr, 124gr or 147gr...../ personally in my Wilson 5" Protector model in 9mm which is my primary range & carry gun ... I run 115gr almost exclusively thru it on the range & training....and my carry ammo is 124gr +P Golden Sabre JHP....

I suggest you try 2 or 3 different kinds & grains of carry ammo ...just to make sure they run well in your mags & your gun ...and pick what you like best.

Wilson makes great guns...my Protector is 13 yrs old now, about 275,000 rds thru it and its been a great gun.

20180525_094443.jpg

I would also suggest you consider a good leather holster ...an IWB for carry and a scabbard style for range practice ... I like Kramer leather, horsehide, with a forward FBI tilt.../ holster in photo is my IWB carry rig...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the kind words! BigJimP, thanks for the input on ammo...I can only dream of getting this gun to 275,000 rounds! That is quite an accomplishment. I’m looking for a milt sparks criterion, but the wait right now is longer than I wanted to wait to carry this guy, so kydex it is until I find a criterion!

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
nice new gun. I am sure you will enjoy it

Reactions: BennyAdeline

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,790 Posts
Damn, how did I miss that :eek: we would have been in a serious bidding war ;) the magwell is a nice addition as well

I really like Federal HST 147's and run them in my Sentinel Compact

6.jpg
7.jpg

·
Cav Troopers Dad
890 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words! BigJimP, thanks for the input on ammo...I can only dream of getting this gun to 275,000 rounds! That is quite an accomplishment. I’m looking for a milt sparks criterion, but the wait right now is longer than I wanted to wait to carry this guy, so kydex it is until I find a criterion!
Nice looking pistol. I run Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain in my ULCC with no issues. Also for a Criterion you might contact Allan Yoast, he’s on Gunbroker and sometimes has Criterion’s in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
494 Posts
Allan Yoast is listed as a dealer on the Sparks website. Give him a call. He probably has a Criterion in stock.

Reactions: Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was the high bidder on that one, and you got me. Congrats! If it has a lightweight frame they didn't mention it in the auction! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheller73, yes they included the original build invoice and it stated it was a lightweight frame. I really got lucky if another addict was bidding on it then!

Thanks for the info on the sparks holster! I’ll have to look there.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Great pick up on a fantastic gun, congrats. I’ll also say that I do miss my time I used to spend frequenting the autopsy room.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts