close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Caspian build

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by kentucky_smith, Sep 25, 2011.

1. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Sep 13, 2011
    As a testbed for several different things I'm trying out and learning, I put together a beater out of some parts I was going to use for something else. Kind of similar to how a spare buttstock turned into an Ar15. :lol:. Plain Caspian frame, Sarco slide (Rock Island I'm sure, looks like a STI Spartan), Roto barrel. Decent internals; Ed Brown, EGW, Wilson hammer. Used it to try out my new sandblaster. Was going to parkerize it, but decided to Cerakote instead.

[​IMG]

Lower went together fairly easy. Was cut for GI tangs, so beavertailed it myself. Slide to frame took some work and a lot of hammering/lapping to get right. Trigger tunnel is very tight, had to grind the trigger down some. Trigger is cheap, will replace it sometime with probably a Wilson or 10-8 flat trigger.

[​IMG]

Cerakote turned out extremely well. I left the park on the slide just as a test. There's a bit more texture there than on the frame. Frame turned out awesome and smooth. 2 hours in the oven at 250 degrees and you are ready to go. Why anybody would want Duracoat over this stuff is beyond me. I seemed to have gotten it on a bit thick at the rails, had to do some more lapping to smooth it up. Frame to slide is VERY tight now. :D

Hot out of the oven. Throw some cinnamon in there on a plate and everything smells great. :lol:

[​IMG]

Between it, The Fusion and the Remsport, the Remsport went together the easiest. I've got about $400 in the Caspian, not counting the investment in some new tools. Be a good tractor toolbox gun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Thumb safety got a little orange peel going on. Will blast it off and redo sometime.

[​IMG]

Will shoot it today sometime. Video to follow.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011

3. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Nicely done!

4. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
  5. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
  6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice looking pistol. I've been thinking about a Caspian railed longslide 9mm build.. Ron

7. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Great work that looks great man. Congrats.

8. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Wow that definitely came out, good work!

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice work. :thumb:

10. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    looks good. Nice project.

11. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Sep 13, 2011
    It ended up looking like a Doublestar nonrail without trying.
    [​IMG]

Shot it yesterday for function. Didn't have much time so just walked out back and put off a few rounds.

Thought I had some 230gr ball with me, but of course not. Some goofy 250gr reloads that I've been trying to shoot up. Had a jam on the first mag, then it settled down and ran after that. Put about 50 rounds through it with no more trouble. Was hitting what I was aiming at. Hopefully get out one evening this week and test for accuracy. Just ordered one of them goofy flat triggers and going to try that too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I like the stag grips in the pic.. Post a pic of those in the grip thread.. Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted