New Checkering option from Integrity Arms~!

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Integrity Arms, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Okay so last thread for some reason ended up derailed.. But, let me start off by saying if this resembles anything done by any other Smith or company, it wasn't really intended to, I didn't go in search of designs to come up with this checkering pattern. I did what I always do while trying to pave my own way here, I practice on a raw piece of flat stock alum and change around the depths, and spacing with certain tooling until I find something I think is function, practical, appeasing to the eye and that also feels good. Just as I did with my arrow pattern, while nearly every Smith will do arrows I wanted to do something a bit different with mine. So, I practiced with some various tooling and come up with the one I use by trial and error.

Anyway I will be doing a matching MS housing tonight and posting a few more pics of the combination of the two later. This will be available in a couple different widths and depths of cut. And I will also add pics of those as soon as I get the chance to run them on a front strap instead of the flat Alum I've already practiced those on. The last thing I am trying to do is to plagiarize anyone's work, and I am not posting these for any praise. I just think they look good, provide a really good purchase, and are very practical, neat and tidy. I personally like the look and the feel and before I traveled down the gunsmithing hole, I was an avid shooter for years, I really like the feel of this over the conventional checkering. Also one pic of a beautiful stand donated to me by a fine addict. I added a brass plate to it, and am very proud of the stand, it's perfect. Bsll Check and stand 002.JPG Bsll Check and stand 031.JPG Bsll Check and stand 035.JPG Bsll Check and stand 044.JPG Bsll Check and stand 045.JPG Bsll Check and stand 046.JPG Bsll Check and stand 016.JPG Bsll Check and stand 034.JPG Bsll Check and stand 040.JPG Bsll Check and stand 038.JPG

mikemac, KTXdm9, Razer and 20 others like this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    @Badabing11 here ya go ;), @mikemac , @Babboonbobo Just a peek at what you all's help, has got me doing... Each of you in some way along with many others have been a tremendous source of encouragement and or help Thank You..

mikemac, ronin11, Babboonbobo and 2 others like this.

3. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    looks great Steve! I really like that pattern! Kind of like a frag pattern....but pointy and definitely looks to be grippy. Looking forward to the MSH to match.....

cwoods and Steve Owens like this.
  4. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Steve! I like that very much. I’d like to give that a try sometime.

Steve Owens likes this.
  5. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    I like it!

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 18, 2016
    Looks painful to me. How does it feel when you shoot it?

Mr. Knight and Steve Owens like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    A few addict will have an opportunity to handle this next week, and I am planning on sending it to a few current clients to see it first hand before any permanent application to their front straps.. Before I started down the smith rabbit hole, I was an avid shooter, this is very comfortable, provides a great purchase and is not obnoxiously sharp or as aggressive as it looks.. I believe it to be neat, clean, tidy and very functional all at the same time. If it vaguely resembles any other works that was not my intention. I mean there is only so much space there to work with and so many options for tooling to try, I merely wanted to try and do something different.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Honestly it is much less aggressive than it looks because of the depth and line spacing it is actually very comfortable. When I share it with some others first hand, I will have them respond as to what they think.. My wife actually held it and said she liked it. It provides a very good purchase but, because the skin contact is spread out and somewhat shallow no issues with puncture type feeling at all. I'll be doing the same pattern with a bit different spacing as well. Some for sure just a bit closer together soon.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    ronin11, rmac and JeffK like this.
  9. JeffK

Dec 18, 2016
    I like the clean look. I think it would even look better if the "points" where even larger in squareness. But I like the open space between the points. Keep up the exploration!

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If it's a new design that you want to keep, hurry up and get it patented. Nowadays, patents are awarded to the first person to file, not first person to invent. And, if someone else gets the patent, you'll need their permission to use it.

Provisional patents can be had for a measly $130. (I have one for an algorithm I developed at work.) This will block anyone else from filing for a patent on your idea for a period of 1 year. During that time, you'll need to decide if you want to file for a Patent or not. Patents last 8 years. Filing a Patent can be expensive due to lawyer fees, but can pay off if you've got something of value.

Good luck!

11. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Hey that looks like _____________ checkering ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :):)

12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I will be experimenting on some other scrap frames with different spacing and depths. Next pattern will actually be just a touch closer together so and a little more shallow. Pics really don't completely do it justice and the feel is great..

mikemac, Badabing11 and JeffK like this.
  13. JeffK

Dec 18, 2016
    What does it cost to try and defend a patent? Usually not worth it for a small business IMHO.

Badabing11 likes this.
  14. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    Why was the original thread deleted? This looks exactly like the knurling that Caspian Arms has been doing for about a decade now. I've used it before, ordered from them. It was pretty nice with a unique look.

15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol Jn.. I kind of expected it, but not to that extent. I really just grabbed a few new cutters I had and experimented, didn't look at anything else before I started. My eye was goobered and my neck messed up, I didn't feel comfortable working on someones pistol and I been meaning to get something different on a front strap for awhile. Just decided to use a take a not so good situation and get something accomplished... Didn't need both eyes or my neck so much to do it, so I went for it lol.. Honestly if I was trying to copy someone else's stuff I could do a better job of it.

Badabing11 likes this.
  16. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    One reason to do it is so that a bigger fish can't stop you from profiting from your original ideas. Companies file patents just block competition.

Maybe it's not worth it in the 1911 world. But its something to think about.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Badabing11 likes this.
  17. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I think GI has a patent on their checkering design.

Steve Owens and Badabing11 like this.
  18. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    You’re darned right on this . The real pros at holding patents make a minor tweak as the patent is about to expire, then they get a new patent and the protection clock restarts.

You sir are a seasoned player! Respect !

Steve Owens and B81 like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The other thing I did notice Jeff when doing the mock ups on flat aluminum surface was when the spacing was wider I had to go deeper to point,. that in turn actually made the points sharper and more hurtful to the grip. At just .100 spacing it was pretty sharp. This is done on .080 the next will be done at .065 So the wider the spacing the deeper the cut has to be with the tool I use and therefore the more aggressive it gets. And if the bit gets much smaller I lose some of the effects, so a lot of variables in how this ends up after the many practice runs.

JeffK likes this.
  20. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    More than I figured I would ever make some 17 years ago....You jump through legal hoops, pay for drawing to be submitted and pay the legal fees and everything else....Only to find out it will cost thousands to defend your patent thus putting you out of business. Then even after you have a patent all they have to do is change something like 12 or 20% and it is not your patent.....Or the simple thing to do is go to any Pac Rim Country and have it knocked of exactly...

How do I know this....Been there and done that and it was not worth fighting. I just waited for the knock off to either go broke or the product started to fail.

Now as for the Checkering.....It looks like the stamp that was used to make Nutmeg Graders....looks way aggressive and people complain about 30 LPI on the TRP Operator.

Karsten

Steve Owens and Badabing11 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted