Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mmmm Tacos

Votes: 6 28.6%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confess that I bought this Colt largely because it is rare to see a Colt from the last 25 years with crisp roll marks. I believe these were laser etched.

Product Gun Firearm Photograph Trigger

Product Brown Gun Firearm White

It has zero barrel squat and the bushing fit is quite nice. The trigger and safety function both show a lot of promise. I could throw an arched mainspring housing on it, change the sights, maybe bob the hammer a bit and call it good.

I could also leave it unmolested until I can send it off to a gunsmith.

One thing that makes me lean towards a "Sleeper" build is the roll marks appear to be quite shallow and polishing could make them be very faint. I'm pretty fond of the 1950s-60s era roll marks.

Once Colt starts actually rolling these markings in (and cratering them like they've done for the last 25 years) I think that may make a better candidate for a smith that will polish the slide and refinish.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I like the idea of a sleeper build personally. Some quality sights, gold bead for the front sight. Hows the trigger?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
I like the idea of a sleeper build personally. Some quality sights, gold bead for the front sight. Hows the trigger?
Excuse my ignorance, but what defines a "sleeper build."?

Z

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what defines a "sleeper build."?

Z
I am sure everyone has a different definition just like everything else lol

For me its a subtle gun, you look at it and you wouldn't know it wasnt stock, I think of Burton in some ways as the king of Sleeper Builds except for the fact that his Colts are so perfect visually that you know that they couldn't possibly be factory guns!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts

For me its a subtle gun, you look at it and you wouldn't know it wasnt stock, I think of Burton in some ways as the king of Sleeper Builds except for the fact that his Colts are so perfect visually that you know that they couldn't possibly be factory guns!

I've seen the term used a few times, but really didn't have a point of reference as to it's possible meaning.

I hate to admit how long I went with out understanding what the term "slingshot" meant when applied to a Les Baer . . . . . . . :(
Colorfulness Black Darkness Space Monochrome

Z

Reactions: simonp

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can tell the hammer hooks are tall and there is probably no relief angle cut on the sear but those are easy to do. Other than that it feels pretty good - as I wrote, "shows promise".

Sleeper no question.

Harrison Rear Sight, EGW FPS/Extractor, C&S FCG, and Grip Tape.

Done.
Have you been looking in my parts ammo can?

Text Font Black Grey Technology

Here is a craptacular photo of the roll marks. I have to say this 1911C is nicer than the O1970a1cs (series 70 repro) I have.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
I've shot mine on a couple outings. Good trigger, good parts fitment, great rollmarks! A few years ago, I'd have sent it off for custom work. But my tastes have returned to my beginning with the 1911A1, as a soldier. I removed the spur hammer and installed a Colt rowel commander unit I had in a box, that required I used an old notched A1 grip safety, also had and installed an old series70 Colt serrated arched MSH. Finished

Other than smooth hammer hooks and sear angles, with the above additions, I'm very happy with mine. It shot flawlessly and was accurate enough for gov't work. Old slabsides never looked better.

edit to admit, I drilled and painted the front sight - in place. With lots of protection.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

I've seen the term used a few times, but really didn't have a point of reference as to it's possible meaning.

I hate to admit how long I went with out understanding what the term "slingshot" meant when applied to a Les Baer . . . . . . . :( View attachment 360453

Z
To me 1911s like Mr. Harrisons Retro Package are good examples of "Sleeper Builds".

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh-oh! Someone alert Colt HR. They have an employee that is actually putting tension on the extractors. They did a nice job of it too....

Union goons will be looking for this deviant.:devil:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You can tell the hammer hooks are tall and there is probably no relief angle cut on the sear but those are easy to do. Other than that it feels pretty good - as I wrote, "shows promise".

Have you been looking in my parts ammo can?
What can I say great minds think alike. Also based on how you’re describing the trigger I’d scratch the FCG. Sounds like it has a nice rolling break (what I prefer).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.