New Colt Govt Series 70

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by *Double Diamond Colt*, Jul 26, 2020.

1. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200726_234758.jpg Thursday I bought a spank brand new Series 70 Govt .

After Inspecting it in the store it had project written all over it as the safety could not be properly operated needed 2 men and a boy to engage

Got it home completely disassembled and began to fix the 6lb trigger pull to something more manageable along with massaging the safety till it worked properly .

Recoil spring tested in right on 16 lbs Gun was surprisingly tight . It didn't need a bushing wrench but the bushing was very snug slide stop went in tight and barrel locked up very nicely .
    Took the trigger to a crisp 4.5lb and shot a box of hardball along with 100 Target rounds
    Functioned perfect and very accurate shooting right at point of aim

The next box of hardball was a different story . I could feel the gun was recoiling pretty hard and rounds were popping up out of the Mag and getting jammed in the barrel as the next round was driven in behind it . Happened with 3 different Mags

Back to drawing board Recoil spring now tested 14lbs so I replaced it with a Wilson Combat 18 lb and a FLGR just to add a little weight up front . Changed hammer to Cyl and slide just cause I like them while sharpening up the trigger to 3.5 lbs modified grip safety to accept hammer and went back to range

Problem has not reoccured shot 200rounds and another 150 over the weekend without a hiccup out of all different Mags .
    My impression They give you a decent NM barrel and lock it up tight so once you work the small stuff out its a decent value for $750 but it is not a turn-key gun . Thats all I got so far will do more testing with hollow points this week

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    rmac, 1911 crazed, Uncle Bob and 15 others like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015

3. Guns& knives 123

Guns& knives 123 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Got the same gun in 38 super, I changed out the tumb safety for Willson bulletproof one, bobbed the hammer to fit the Willson drop in beaver tail safety, added steel MSH and painted the front sight...

I have run about 500 rounds through it so far...
    had a couple hiccups in the first two mags but it's been flawless after that, accuracy is surprisingly good. The NM barrel is fit nicely but the slide to frame fit is pretty loose , it rattles... It's my one mandatory Colt 1911 that everyone should have and I love the old school look...

I think I got mine for around $700 last Christmas, very happy overall, wish I was brave enough to work on the trigger lol, maybe someday...

41 Charlie, colrhino, Dub and 2 others like this.
  4. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    All good stuff . I love the old tasteful script with the horse . Its a classic look you just cant get anywhere else .
    I may get a Wilson safety also and a steel MSH is on its way .
    I also put a Colt long plastic trigger in the gun and painted the front sight .

colrhino likes this.
  5. ferretray

ferretray Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Did you install the rat tail grip safety and elongated hammer?

6. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Nice Colt. I would have bought one Friday to eventually use as a base gun, but it had sold the day before. The shop still had a Black Army in the case.

7. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200727_143046.jpg
    Polished the trigger bow today junked plastic MSH and fitted new checkered steel one from WC

Shot hard ball hollow points and lead target ammo today all functioned perfect .

8. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200727_191518.jpg

Not the most perfectly blended LOL but it feel good in my hand and shoots reliably now

41 Charlie, colrhino, ILED93 and 3 others like this.
  9. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Thanks brother sometimes you just need to put a new Horse in the stable .

Got almost 500 rounds through her since I got everything squared away and she hasn't missed a beat with all different mags and ammo . So Im takin it as a win so far

colrhino likes this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    200 SWCs? If so you have a gem. Don't ask all the mods we did with our Series 70s. We were burning 3000 rounds a month for practice

colrhino likes this.
  11. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Yep Im using 200SWCs with 4.2 of Bullseye . This is the current manufacture series 70 and the ramp on the barrel is a bit different than my old ones , but I have managed to get them all functioning reliably with this load .
    I still go through a minimum of 2k heads a month . At last count my 1911 addiction had grown to 62 and I try to shoot everyday weather and work permitting
    Im pretty happy with this new Colt now that its fixed but it is really unbelievable how Colt would let this gun out of the factory needing 2 hands to put the safety on and with a junk recoil spring just happy it was stuff that is easily fixed .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    colrhino and ZIPPIT like this.
  12. Guns& knives 123

Sep 22, 2019
    62? As in 62 1911's? If that's what you meant I think I need to stop visiting this forum because I have 8 and I was thinking I'm going overboard... I've only been at it about 2 years tho lol and you sir are opening my eyes to the possible depths of the affliction

colrhino likes this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Well, Colt hasn't really been Colt in decades.

Sorry but half pack of smokes, full tank in a Crown Vic, gotta hit it! ;)

Back after shift.

colrhino likes this.
  14. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Its an addiction I have had for about 35yrs . Was not as bad when I was real young but as I got older and worked with my old gunsmith friend it really took off .
    Competitive shooting also spurred it on and when I took the job at the Gun Club all bets were off just too many good guns coming my way at good prices to turn down.
    That said I dont think I probably have half as many as most of these guys .
    Not to fear there are way worse afflictions

15. Boldkarma

Boldkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Nice Pony! I picked one up too : )

[​IMG]

Greenrunner, sr-1911, KS95B40 and 4 others like this.
  16. Guns& knives 123

Sep 22, 2019
    Screenshot_20200730-235517.png IMG_20200730_234413.jpg Here's mine before and after, I think it looks better with original beaver tail safety but I couldn't shoot it like that...

Chuc, Greenrunner, sr-1911 and 4 others like this.
  17. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Nice looks great , These are really nice tastefully looking guns that don't break the bank

KS95B40 and colrhino like this.
  18. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Great keep us posted on how she performs

19. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    The original wasn't a beaver tail, it's why people got bit, and the beaver tail got invented.

I never used a beaver tail, that way people wouldn't ask to borrow my pistols at a match :)

Guns& knives 123 likes this.
  20. Guns& knives 123

Sep 22, 2019
    So rat tail? Or just grip safety?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted