New Grips = New Gun!?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Rezarf, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rezarf

Rezarf Active Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Who else feels like you get a new gun when installing new grips!?

I just installed a set of VZ Rosewood full checkered grips and tossed them on my old faithful TRP. Man, it makes me feel like I have a whole new gun. I fully know all else has stayed the exact same but man, it is crazy what a difference a grip change makes...

... so who's gonna confess how many extra grips you have laying around for the same reason?

Pics to follow

Raydog1911, Otherside, Dr.Lou and 3 others like this.
  2. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Got several in a drawer... Love my VZ's.

4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Grips bah humbug nothing but stock for me. :p

Gripwright likes this.
  5. charles68

charles68 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    A shoe box full of grips from 15 years ago to now. I would go thru about 3 sets on every 1911 before I decided on what I liked. Im now down to only 3 1911's but have this shoe box full of basic, plastic grips to Honduran Rosewood Burl that have no homes.

Raven312 and WHEELS like this.
  6. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Sounds like a good reason for a sale !!! :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

WHEELS likes this.
  7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I just put a set of SGM XS Shredder Palm Swell grips (how's that for a long name) on my .45 Range Officer. I wanted something more aggressive and the palm swell sounded interesting as I have big hands. These grips absolutely transformed how the gun acted in my hand during firing. It moves less and I feel less recoil. I do care a little about how my grips look, but I am much more interested in performance. I'm odering another set for the PM-9 I shoot all the time.
    I've owned 1911s for two years and am close to needing a yard sale to get rid of my extra grips that I've bought and no longer like.
    Jeff

8. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    Installing new grips means I need another gun to provide a home for the older grips.

Raven312 and WHEELS like this.
  9. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
  10. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    To me they are like wheels on your car or truck. Can make it, or break it. VZ's are a fav, but those knock off VZ's on amazon are beginning to grow on me. Love their version of the starburst.

WHEELS likes this.
  11. charles68

charles68 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Yep, sale one was in 2011, sale two is coming up. I also have this problem with my Hi Powers, got about $350 dollars just in left over HP grips from VZ, Esmeralda, Haken and Hogue.

Karl Nill, ordered a set back in 2009. Weirdest experience as back then you had to go to their German based web site, row thru some language barrier issues and I will never forget they substituted the word "execute" for "submit". It just didn't seem right. Eventually got the grips in a sloppy, hand taped box with a return address of a live person who lived in New Jersey, darn peculiar. The Nill's lasted two months before they went into the shoe box.

joerockhead and WHEELS like this.
  12. ctdw

ctdw Active Member

May 15, 2013
    It can really change the look and feel of the gun.

13. Yoemen66

Yoemen66 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I prefer nice wood grips. Have a whole stack of Colt SCG and Delta grips laying around from replacing them with wood grips like these. 20190211_091548_resized.jpg

joerockhead likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted