New guy from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scott, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I have posted on a few 1911 forums, this is the only one with a dedicated "new guy" thread, good job!

Have been addicted to the 1911 since my teen years, hard times forced the sale of most of my guns a while ago, so I am just now getting back into the adiction.

Been hanging back for a few weeks checking things out...forum looks great, one of the nicest out there.

Scott

2. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Welcome, from another fellow NE-Ohioan!

I know a few "Scotts" in the area: you wouldn't happen to have attended a few classes with Commence Fire, would you? :smile:

3. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Welcome from NW ohio!!!! Go Bucks!!!

4. tpeterka

tpeterka New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Dayton Ohio here.....good to be part of this group......just got new Kimber Super Carry Custom HD,,,,the best, most accurate out of the box 1911 I've ever purchased....a real beauty.

5. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ Hey, welcome! :)

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Howdy Ohio folks!!!

Scott,
    Thanks for the compliment on the forum!!!

There are plenty of us NE Ohio members on here and if you haven't seen, there is a class that is going to be taught by Bob Vogel on April 15th.

7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  8. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    Welcome from Columbus. New here myself. You'll certainly have fun.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The Ohioans are making a power play for the majority, I fear. :lol:

Welcome aboard, man. Good to have you here; you're in for some fun stuff. :thumb:

Andy

10. shichidan

shichidan Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hi Scott

welcome from N.E. Cleveland

Sold nine guns last year , bought seven so far this year

So your addiction will be well understood on this forum

Alan

11. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
  12. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcometo:

Howdy from SW OHIO!

DAT85

13. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
  14. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
  15. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Welcome to a great forum. Regards.

16. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Welcome :wave:

17. WahWah

WahWah Debbie Downer ... WahWah! Supporting Addict

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome from MI!

18. Scott

Scott New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Thanks so much to all that responded and welcomed me...Sorry I have not responded, this week/weekend was CRAZY!.

- Not me, sorry

- May be interested in this, wife and I have been looking for some good local training

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ :smile:

There's quite a number of good schools in our local area.

Ron Lauinger runs LMI, which offers integrated combatives - his firearms classes are on the decline, though...sadly due to lack of students...but he will still have offerings in the next calendar year, and what's more, his H2H as well as knife seminars as well as weekly combatives training are very highly regarded in the area. Myself as well as knedrgr and Quack have all taken various firearms classes from him, and we all recommend him wholeheartedly.

Bill Holcomb runs Three Tango Firearms Academy. Great place to go for your Ohio-CHL, if you don't have one already, and he specializes in handgun proficiency. His beginner level class, "Defensive Pistol 1," is a great intro, even if all you've ever done is all static range work, and his "Defensive Pistol 2" promises that you'll be able to draw from concealment, move off the X, and get at least that first shot on-target (on an 8" Magpul BSA template) in under 1.5 seconds. He also offers force-on-force, which I hope to take at least once in the coming calendar year (sadly, the first date conflicts with the Vogel-Addicts class, which I've already committed to!).

Commence FireARMS Academy, run by the Campbells, is a great outfit as well. For true beginners, they're my recommendation - they easily take a non-shooter to proficient status (as well as safe carry) over the course of just a two day session. That's not to say that they're no good for more advanced shooters: they can help you hone your basic pistolcraft skills as well as teach you virtually anything you want to know about tactical/defensive shooting. What's more, their staff-to-student ratio is unsurpassed in this area, safety is excellent (again, this highlights just how good they are for complete beginners). They currently also offer a basic/beginner-level shotgun class, and starting this coming year, will offer both a more advanced "run your gun" type shotgun class as well as an AR/carbine class. I've taken several classes with them, and am a fan of their operation: I'm very much looking forward to their planned increased offerings next year, and will continue to be a patron throughout the winter for their various indoor (at Gray's Armory, downtown Cleveland) "Shoot With the Instructor" courses. They're another good place to go, for your Ohio-CHL.

Greenport Tactical Association, which has a private range just south of Canton, plays host to many instructors/schools throughout the year (Ron's firearms classes mostly take place here). They're definitely worth checking out.

Dan Clevenger of D&D Firearms Instructors is also highly recommended by the local community. He's also an excellent Ohio-CHL teacher.

Chris Cerino Training Group is also close-by. That name likely needs no further explanation. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  20. Scott

Scott New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    TSiWRX,

Thanks for all the great information. My wife an I are looking for different training, me an advanced class and for her a basic class (not beginner, but a little more than just static targets on the square range) all geared toward self defense. I am a former LEO and have taken a decent amount of training but all in house, no "professional training". I have passed on my knowledge to the wife but we both could definitely benefit from outside training.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the info it is a great place to start looking.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted