1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sharpening Ockham's Razor
1,990 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I think you might have linked to the wrong image, though; the one I see isn't a 1913 Colt 1911! Interesting rear sight on it, though.

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand there are a few "modified" pieces on it. the sights, extended slide stop, the fact that the slide was re-blued, and the grips.. but from the serial number on the frame.. it is a 1913 colt..

it's within the first 2500 made. i know it may not be the most awesome relic.. but heck.. something that is almost 100 years old is cool to me.

·
Sharpening Ockham's Razor
1,990 Posts
Well, the frame has the 1911A1 scallop cutouts on the frame behind the trigger, which is mainly what caught my attention, Ben! Still, even a modified and modernized original gun is a cool piece. :thumb:

Andy

·
Lurker 4 life
506 Posts
Just remember the older steel including the later slide... You can discoloration around the slide stop notch from the area heat treatment. The gun unfortunately is worth very little and id shooting lots of high power loads be careful... The slides have been known to crack around the slide stop, ejection port, and near where the dust cover is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is a Commercial Gov't model. im really just going off the serial number. i am going to take it to "1911tuner" on the 28th to have him look over it. so i will know exactly what im dealing with after that. im just glad to finally have a 1911. and who knows.. maybe this one will stay or go.

·
YOU ****!!!!
1,204 Posts
Welcome. :wave:

Cool gun, but I guess I am skeptical about it being that early on as well. Whats the SN number? Military or commercial? Many things do not add up from the looks and description....

·
YOU ****!!!!
1,204 Posts
That SN would match those of that year....

Just looks fishy to me. I'm no expert at all but have interest in older 1911's.

You mentioned the sights, SS, grips, and finish. The cutouts behind the trigger were from later on. The MSH, grip safety, trigger, and hammer are not "1913 vintage" as well. For the slide, the markings are gone so I have no clue. Could be legit, or may not be. Interested to see what you learn from the inspection of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am too. i have always been a fan of 1911's and finally got one. now im learning all this so it makes it more "mysterious". haha. it's killing me.

·
Lurker 4 life
506 Posts
If you look at the pic from the slide stop notch you will see some of the discoloration from when they would justbharden that area due to peening. This did not occur until later on i believe the 40's. This would make it not original. 1911 tuner may not be your best source... If you could post pics blocking the last dig of serial number i can tell you if that has been altered ie.... Illegal to own.

Nothing mysterious about it... Someone butchered it. Reduces the value to about $400.

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Greetings from SW OHIO and......:welcometo:

DAT85 :wave:

·
Bullet Banger
2,202 Posts
Arsenal rebuild Im assuming. Are there any arsenal stamps around the trigger?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts