New guy from Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Improvise, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
  2. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    :welcometo:

Hey... welcome... I have a good friend that lives in Cary NC....

Joe

3. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Hey great to have you. Yes thats twice I have said that to you.

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Welcome aboard!

I think you might have linked to the wrong image, though; the one I see isn't a 1913 Colt 1911! Interesting rear sight on it, though.

Andy

6. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    i understand there are a few "modified" pieces on it. the sights, extended slide stop, the fact that the slide was re-blued, and the grips.. but from the serial number on the frame.. it is a 1913 colt..

it's within the first 2500 made. i know it may not be the most awesome relic.. but heck.. something that is almost 100 years old is cool to me.

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Well, the frame has the 1911A1 scallop cutouts on the frame behind the trigger, which is mainly what caught my attention, Ben! Still, even a modified and modernized original gun is a cool piece. :thumb:

Andy

8. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Just remember the older steel including the later slide... You can discoloration around the slide stop notch from the area heat treatment. The gun unfortunately is worth very little and id shooting lots of high power loads be careful... The slides have been known to crack around the slide stop, ejection port, and near where the dust cover is.

9. Heretical45

Nov 3, 2011
    Also i doubt that is from 1913... Does it have heart shaped cut outs under the grip?

10. SatCong

SatCong Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
  11. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    this is a Commercial Gov't model. im really just going off the serial number. i am going to take it to "1911tuner" on the 28th to have him look over it. so i will know exactly what im dealing with after that. im just glad to finally have a 1911. and who knows.. maybe this one will stay or go.

12. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Welcome. :wave:

Cool gun, but I guess I am skeptical about it being that early on as well. Whats the SN number? Military or commercial? Many things do not add up from the looks and description....

13. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    serial number is C220x

from what i looked up it's pretty old.

14. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    That SN would match those of that year....

Just looks fishy to me. I'm no expert at all but have interest in older 1911's.

You mentioned the sights, SS, grips, and finish. The cutouts behind the trigger were from later on. The MSH, grip safety, trigger, and hammer are not "1913 vintage" as well. For the slide, the markings are gone so I have no clue. Could be legit, or may not be. Interested to see what you learn from the inspection of it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    i am too. i have always been a fan of 1911's and finally got one. now im learning all this so it makes it more "mysterious". haha. it's killing me.

16. Heretical45

Nov 3, 2011
    If you look at the pic from the slide stop notch you will see some of the discoloration from when they would justbharden that area due to peening. This did not occur until later on i believe the 40's. This would make it not original. 1911 tuner may not be your best source... If you could post pics blocking the last dig of serial number i can tell you if that has been altered ie.... Illegal to own.

Nothing mysterious about it... Someone butchered it. Reduces the value to about $400.

17. Improvise

Improvise New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    what is your email address.. i will send you a few pictures.

18. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Greetings from SW OHIO and......:welcometo:

DAT85 :wave:

19. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Arsenal rebuild Im assuming. Are there any arsenal stamps around the trigger?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted