1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I've tried searching for some information on a Colt M1911A1 that I just purchased, but I'm either too old to figure it out or too lazy to chase down the answers for numerous questions.

The pistol is serial 163XXXX, and I found a chart that lists its production date as 1944.

It has a polished finish -- stainless steel? There are tiny buff marks in the finish that may indicate it has been machine-polished. It does not appear to have been plated. It has checkered wood grips that have been lacquered; some of the lacquer shows on the backsides of the grips. The grips have sharp checkering (I suspect that they may not be original). There is darker metal behind the grips, possibly a further indication of polishing.

The stampings are mostly crisp and clear. Left side of slide, typical multiple patent dates,
and "COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG.CO. / HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A." The Colt pony logo is lightly struck compared to the other stampings.

On the left side of the frame: just below the slide release lever is "G.H.D."
Behind the magazine release is a stamped "P".
On the left front of the trigger guard is a stamped numeral "1" and a tiny V-shaped stamp.

On the right side of the frame: a lightly-struck (3/4 complete) logo of two crossed cannon and bomb in circle. "UNITED STATES PROPERTY / M1911A1 U.S. ARMY" with the serial stamped below.
On the right front of the trigger guard is a tiny "65".

It has one cheap-feeling, thin stamped-metal black magazine that has no markings.

I can post photos of the details if needed.

I know nothing of its history. The seller had owned it for about 4 mounths after buying it from a friend, who might have gotten it from a veteran.

What can you tell me about this gun from its markings and appearance?

What is its value?

Thank you for your answers. I hope to learn much more by being a member of this group.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Need pics to tell you anything more than it's NOT stainless steel.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Very cool piece. The symbol on the right behind the grips is the logo from the Springfield Armory.

The gun has definitely been polished down to the white metal. That pretty much destroys any purists collector interest, but it still makes for a fine shooter. GHD are the initial of the armor inspector. I know others will have his name committed to memory.

The grips are modern, but suit the gun well.

There should be other stamps on the top of the frame and on the barrel.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
"The Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery" -- gotta love that one!

I used to be the "Village Idiot" but I got a promotion . . . .

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
1944 Colt USGI. I don't know how you know it hasn't been plated; if it was just buffed down to naked steel, it has been VERY well maintained.

GHD = Guy H. Drewry, Army chief inspector for Colts most of WWII.
V (actually VP) = Verified Proof, Colt long time (1904) proof mark.
Numerals 1 and 65 = one is the assembler, one is the Colt company inspector.
Lots more at coolgunsite.com

If it is just polished down to bare steel, it would not be terribly expensive to have it Parkerized and fitted with WWII plastic grips to make it "correct" even though not original any more. I caution against describing it as original, there are a lot of fakes and frauds out there already.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Looks like it's been nickel plated. Not an uncommon finish back in the day but kills the collector value.

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1944 Colt USGI. I don't know how you know it hasn't been plated; if it was just buffed down to naked steel, it has been VERY well maintained.
If it is just polished down to bare steel, it would not be terribly expensive to have it Parkerized and fitted with WWII plastic grips to make it "correct" even though not original any more. I caution against describing it as original, there are a lot of fakes and frauds out there already.
Jim, I believe it's been polished due to the very fine buffing lines in the steel. I can't find any "edges" that would indicate plating. And the stampings are crisp and clear.

I pulled the right side grip and it looks like some of the original finish around the screw bosses was not completely buffed off.

Product Gun Red Firearm White

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There should be other stamps on the top of the frame and on the barrel.
I looked closer -- lo and behold! A stamped "P" on top of the slide ahead of the rear sight.

Field stripped, and the markings on the left side of the barrel:
"COLT 45 AUTO" and "P" on the lug.
Underside of barrel has a tiny "F".

Metal Silver Steel Aluminium Shotgun
Gun Black Trigger Metal Household hardware
Metal Steel Aluminium Household hardware Silver

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.