New here and hoping for input on a 2007 Ed Brown Special Forces

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by NJCK, Jan 10, 2012.

1. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Hello 1911 Addicts!

I'm not new to 1911s, but I took a hiatus for two decades to focus on my passion for revolvers and Sigs/Sig-Sauers. I've already decided to jump back in with an Ed Brown. As luck would have it, I've come across a 2007 Special Forces on consignment that's possibly a deal. It's essentially the standard-build for the 5" with no changes other than the one, original owner changed the grips (originals are gone, new grips are G-10) and has just one original 7-round mag as-delivered from Ed Brown. I think the pistol was a "BBQ gun" as inspection would suggest it's only seen a few hundred rounds.

Any concerns/issues/defects for this vintage of Special Forces?

What's a reasonable used value?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    What are they asking for it?

You can get them new for about $2000

3. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcometo:

Had to get that in first! :biggrin1:

First,is the pistol stainless,GENIII (coating ) or blued?

There was a problem for a while with "peening" of the slide(slide stop chewing up the notch). This occurred mainly, if not solely,on stainless EB products.Including the GENIII coatings over stainless steel base.
    So thoroughly inspect that area.
    As EB has just raised prices on new products,if the firearm is in "mint" condition and under 2200,you are in the ball park as far as value is concerned.

Personally,2k is about the max I would go on a used EB.Please give us a few more details

DAT85

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011

I'd call CJ and get a price on a new one. Your timing may be a week or so off, but I know he has a ton in stock and huge order in. Great guy

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I thought new they were closer to $1800 than 2000.

6. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    welcome from SC.

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    not sure where they are now with the current price increase. MSRP is now $2495

8. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    The LGS has had for some time, a couple of basic SFs without any add-ons for $2200ish +9.5% tax. I think that's what I paid for mine in about 2007.

9. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Thanks for a friendly welcome everyone! Appreciate this input so far.

The Special Forces is GENIII over stainless. The gun is pristine. I doubt it has fired enough rounds for the peening mentioned to show up, so I will definitely reinspect the area. Asking price is $1800 out the door. The shop also handles new Ed Browns, and they quoted me $2230 for a new one. They indicated they have an order coming in that was placed before the price increase with several unclaimed Special Forces in it. My thought is to see if I can negotiate down to about $1700 on it. I've been away from 1911s to have an appreciation for how the semi-customs maintain their value. However, if I can get a new Special Forces below $2K I'd be very pleased with that too.

Someone mentioned "CJ" has a large stock of Ed Browns. Can someone give me more information on CJ?

Thanks again!!!

10. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    See the banner on the top with the face in it. That's CJ's banner.

11. R0CKETMAN

Dec 24, 2011
    208-772-2339

banner not on every page and no good anyway as his website is under construction and list no contact number

12. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Rocketman, thank you! Looks like I'll be giving CJ a call tomorrow to see what he has available now. I went back to the shop to reinspect and with $1750 cash in my pocket. However, they're apparantly very proud of their firearms and must be doing a stellar business because they didn't want to deal a bit for a customer with cash-in-hand. That was odd to me because you're talking to a guy who pursues and acquires some very, very rare revolvers and cash has always been a motivator to deal! The shop owner wouldn't even call the owner it's on consignment for to see if he'd take it - another surprise! Incidentally, on the way out another patron mentioned it's been for sale in the shop since September. If nothing else, tells me that this is probably not a shop I need to pursue a relationship with.

Perhaps after hearing with CJ has in-stock, I might even run with a different Brown series.

Appreciate the feedback all!

13. Duginsky

Duginsky New Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Definitely give John (CJ) a call. He will do right by you. I bought a SF from him last month and he had it to me within 2 days...He is great to work with, and a good guy. Too bad the LGS didn't take your offer - I'd have to guess that the consignment piece was the reason. I can't imagine selling an EB on consignment rather than a private sale - the owner will never get close to what he could (IMHO) selling privately or even on GB...

14. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    DANG IT!!! CJ just HAD to HAVE exactly what I wanted IN-STOCK!

Ed Brown inbound after my wallet get significantly lightened! January 2012 has been an expensive gun month.:beated:

15. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats on the new peice sir. Might I inquire as to which one?

16. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Spec Forces Carry, NO bobtail, 10-8 rear, gold bead front, naked slide, recessed slide stop, flush barrel crown, and solid long trigger.

17. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats! Sounds like it's gonna be pretty sweet. And...:welcometo:

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Man you got that right OU. Sounds great.

19. R0CKETMAN

Dec 24, 2011
    Crazy he had that in. Wise move to call and go NIB.

20. NJCK

NJCK New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Yeah, he's got quite a few nicely configured and apparantly understands we guys with big meat hooks don't like the bob so much!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted