1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from my FFL :D

I've daily carried a 1911 since I retired 4 years ago, but this summer 2 things transpired to bring me to the K6s.

First I got a little 38/357 lever gun and I NEED a companion handgun right?

Second it has been hot, dry, and dusty. Most of the year I wear a shirt over my 1911, but it has been a bit warm for that. Since spring the dust has been everywhere. I've been field stripping and even detail stripping my 1911 with alarming regularity. The last straw came last week. I was cutting wood and glanced down to see that the gap between the hammer and firing pin had a piece of debris that was large enough I suspect it could have caused a failure. Sure I could go with a full flap holster, but I prefer easier access to my EDC. I decided I wanted a DAO revolver, something a bit bigger than my Ruger LCR.

I looked at the S&W 640 Pro. Nice gun, but a few things made me choose the Kimber. 3" barrel, drift adjustable rear sight, and a recessed 6 shot cylinder. The only thing I could wish for is the Black finish they offer on the 2" model. I like the feel of the laminate grips, but the jury is out on whether or not they are slippery when my paws get sweaty. The trigger pull is smooth and doesn't stack. It is also easy to stage. I don't have a way to measure how heavy it is, but it is smoother and lighter than my LCR and my recollection of the Model 64 we carried back in the day.

Size wise, it falls between my Commander and my Detonics. Height and length must be very similar to a CCO, but I don't have one to compare with.

I have leather on order. After I've carried and shot it I will try to update.
View attachment 126705
IMGP2190.JPG
IMGP2191.JPG

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Very nice I just bought a 640 Pro as a stand in for this summer as I've been cleaning rust off my Baer way too much. It is back at S&W already.........

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very nice, it’s on my short list to buy if I come across a good deal on one.

-Ray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: LPRoad

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is back at S&W already.........
Sorry to hear that! With Kimber's recent quality control issues, I was a tad hesitant. I did look it over well before signing off on it, but time will tell.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,331 Posts
You won't be sorry. I tried to talk SWMBO into the 3" barrel. She insisted on the 2", because it was 'the all black one'. Great shooter. The only thing I've found wrong with it so far is the price. I think it is overpriced by about 15-20%. Then again, it's Kimber. What else would you expect?

Very smooth trigger. Accurate as you need it to be, at the distances you would need to use it. Full house loads are NOT fun. I load her's up with standard velocity .38spcl 158gr semi jacketed hollow points. HKS speed loaders for the Colt Detective work very well.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Cool, didn't know others were old school as me and still own a Detonics. I bet Kimber will come out with a all black 3" K6 sooner or later.
Detonics Combat Master.jpg

·
Get off my lawn...
14,809 Posts
Looks very nice! The three inch barrel is the perfect length! Congrats on the purchase of your new round gun!!

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,331 Posts
K6S-Pachmayr-L1-S.jpg

Here is a photo of the K6 with a modified J frame grip. Personally, I couldn't abide with the large gap between the grip and trigger guard.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just handling it, I like the standard grips that came on the 3" model. I can get all three fingers on the grips and there is a slight palm swell. If they are too slippery, I will probably go with a different set of Altamonts (which the stock grips appear to be) except with some stippling/checkering. If the recoil causes the trigger guard to beat up my middle finger, I will give it more thought.

K6-AL07-CB.png

1 - 16 of 16 Posts