1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a collector, but I've been a gun accumulator since the late 1970s. Whenever faced with the opportunity to purchase an interesting gun at an attractive price, I've usually done the right thing and brought it home. My first 1911 came my way about six years ago with the purchase of a new Taurus PT1911. I didn't really feel the need for a 1911 or any .45, but the price was right, and being left-handed, I appreciated the ambidextrous safety. I own a very dependable PT99 AF (pre-decocker) from the late 1980s, so I had no concerns about Taurus' build quality. (The PT1911 barrel had to be replaced when new--since then, with new grips, it's been a comfortable and reliable shooter.) A year later I added a .22 LR conversion slide, then bought a SIG/Sauer (GSG) 1911-22 for about the same price. Not liking the SIG at all and wanting to keep the PT1911 as a dedicated .45, I bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 for target shooting.

Liking the 1911 configuration more than I had anticipated, I bought a stainless frame and slide from Palmetto State Armory and began fitting parts. Other handgun purchases distracted me from finishing, and I found myself happily shooting .22LR and 9mm most of the time. I acquired a Star Modelo Super B to have a 1911-like pistol in 9mm, but the Super B's sights are crappy, so it sits in the dark with the SIG .22 and the other also-rans.

I stumbled back in love with the 1911 early this month. A friend was selling guns for a friend of his, and among them was a blued commercial Colt Government Model with a couple of cosmetic problems. The pinned front sight was missing, and someone had sawn off the protruding loop from the lanyard ring. I'm not really much of a gunsmith, but I thought that I could take care of both problems and own my first "real" 1911. Although there are small pits in the finish, the blue on this 1911 was quite lustrous, so I figured it was about the same age as my Trooper Mk III from 1978. The price seemed right--the same as I had paid for the PT1911. I was shocked to learn when looking up the serial number (C1209XX) on Colt's website that the gun was produced in 1919.

My enthusiasm for John Browning's natural-pointing handgun design has suddenly grown at the same time that my gun inventory seems to have taken a serious turn for the better. As I'm learning more about the old Colt, I'm also getting excited about building up that stainless steel PSA frame.

Thanks in advance for all of the great user-posted information I know that I'll find here, and thanks to the admins for spending the time, effort, money, and energy to host 1911addicts.com.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Welcome from the Land of the Blues. Unfortunately, most people aren’t aware of how nice Suffolk County really is.
3B78838E-CFFE-4DB1-A8E1-C7087C7ACEB1.jpeg
Used to hang out at Quogue enough years ago to have raced at Bridgehampton, gunned birds in the sweet potato fields, sea ducks from Layout Boats north of Plum Island and Brant from Layout Boxes in South Bay so don’t be bashful about posting some pictures of your area and let the good members here see that there really are good areas of New York State.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from the Land of the Blues. Unfortunately, most people aren’t aware of how nice Suffolk County really is.
View attachment 426401 Used to hang out at Quogue enough years ago to have raced at Bridgehampton, gunned birds in the sweet potato fields, sea ducks from Layout Boats north of Plum Island and Brant from Layout Boxes in South Bay so don’t be bashful about posting some pictures of your area and let the good members here see that there really are good areas of New York State.
When and what did you race at the Bridge? I raced an FV with EMRA in the mid-1970s.

I spend quite a bit of time on the water. My boat is docked in Southold on Corey Creek, which opens to Great Hog Neck Bay. I fish from Shinnecock to Fishers Island Race.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
When and what did you race at the Bridge? I raced an FV with EMRA in the mid-1970s.

I spend quite a bit of time on the water. My boat is docked in Southold on Corey Creek, which opens to Great Hog Neck Bay. I fish from Shinnecock to Fishers Island Race.
Alfa Romeo GTA in SCCA B/S and Trans Am U-2 mid and late ‘60’s. Last shooting there was in 1990. Still have friends in Bellport that I visit. Do a bit of ice sailing when in Bellport in the winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts