1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this rifle after last deer season to have a lighter option for hunting, having carried my M1As the last couple of years. Finally got to shoot it last week when I was shooting the AR57. It's a pretty nice rifle for the money, has a great trigger, an 18" fluted barrel that is threaded for a flash hider or suppressor, and uses M1A or LR-308/SR-25-style magazines. I have a bunch of M1a mags so that's bonus, though the bolt action is much smoother with the factory supplied PMag 10. It has a composite stock with a nice recoil pad and the compact size of the rifle makes for fast handling.

It functioned exactly as it should and was surprisingly accurate, with a very nice trigger pull. It comes with decent iron sights but I didn't shoot it with them. I took the Vortex 2-8x Diamondback HP scope off my SOCOM and mounted it on the Mossberg, got it on paper at 25yds, and then shot it at 50, 75, and 125yds as well to check my POI. The best group I managed at the 125yd mark was 3 shots in under an inch with cheap ball ammo from Wal-Mart, I was pretty surprised since the crosshairs on the scope are on the thick side and I was shooting off the hood of my Jeep. We don't have too many opportunities for shots beyond 200yds where I hunt and I'm confident that I can hit where I need to with this rifle. I added a sling and swivels that I got off Amazon and ordered a couple of more PMags and spacers for them to turn the 10rd mags into 5rd and legal for hunting.

So, it's pretty handy and accurate package for the money and the convenience of it using mags from other platforms that I own is a real plus. This is the first Mossberg rifle I've owned, though I've had a couple of their shotguns, and this rifle exhibits the same kind of rugged build that Mossbergs are known for, and it isn't bad looking, either. If you're looking for a rifle that embodies many of Cooper's "Scout Rifle" ideas, is well put together and accurate, and won't break the bank, this one is worth considering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts