New PPQ 5 Steel Frame thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by razorbacker, Jan 6, 2019.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Well, SHOT season is upon us and manufacturers/distributors are out hyping the newest, latest and greatest firearms offerings. I've been reading with interest about new Walther Steel Fame PPQ 5". I know Walther sales in the U.S. are pretty small relative to others, but I'm kind of fond of their polymer/striker models. I know this would be comparing SA/DA to striker fire but curious what CZ Shadow owners might think about the new steel Walther. I'm sure very few folks have actually got to handle one yet.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190101/c8d4d7e3fc875b80d7ea7f8d86e77c8d.jpg

https://www.gunbuyer.com/walther-ppq-m2-q5-match-sf-9mm-5-barrel-15-1-2830001.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    boatdoc and PewPewPtwang like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    If it shoots like my SP-01 I'm in.

boatdoc and jodyisaacs like this.

3. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Saw the pic but missed that it is all steel. Interesting

4. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Like Arnold says “that is one UGLY M.....F.....”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    It’s in CZ Custom price range, so it better be amazing.

boatdoc likes this.
  6. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I just have a hard time looking at anything Walther makes these days....They look like something the US Space Force would want. Same thing with a lot of the Beretta Line up....I guess I am just old school traditional.

Karsten

Mike A and stlgecko like this.
  7. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    45 acp no, Ugly yes, all steel yes. I hope this is a trend in all metal pistol production.
    Some see the 1911 as ugly, & just love plastic. Perhaps plastic has seen it's hey day.
    Wait and see, maybe both Cars & firearms will see a new revolution in design change.

Karsten likes this.
  8. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Ugly, yes but after 30+ years of Glocks and other polymers I've developed an immunity to ugly firearms. I've owned or at least handled most production handguns on the market and none feel better in my hand than PPQs and CZs, ok HK VPs are pretty good also. I have not handled this new still model, hopefully there will be more steel models on the horizon. Life is good.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I only have one striker pistol, and it's a PPQ M2 (4 inch). Best factory trigger on a striker pistol I've ever felt.

I can see the appeal of more frame weight for competition. The lack of a hammer strut does mean that, in theory, the designers have more freedom when shaping the grip/backstrap.

Maybe competitors want to be able to effectively start with a cocked hammer (no DA pull) and unlocked? You can't generally start in condition zero with a hammer fired gun, but with a striker that has a true SA trigger that's really your only option.

Other than that, I'm struggling to identify any potential advantages of a striker platform over a traditional hammer fired gun (e.g. CZ Shadow).

boatdoc and razorbacker like this.
  10. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I think the Q5 SF is going to be an awesome shooter out of the box. Hope they sell boatloads of them. I tried perfecting the DA/SA transition years ago, finally surrendered and started shooting nothing but striker fired guns and SAs. Hence, my current “issue” with 1911s.
    Jeff

11. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I kind of like it.

razorbacker and boatdoc like this.
  12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I like it. thinking I might go for it later this year. Had to get rids of some of my plastic framed guns due to the hand issues I had this year. a new steel walthe r might fit the need to replace my beloved PPQs

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  13. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    I so, so wish they would do this with the P99 A/S, but I know that will not happen

14. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I think it looks kind of cool, but definitely like something from Blade Runner ;). I've got to admit, I've developed a recent fondness for metal framed guns, and especially steel frames, if that had a hammer, I might consider it, even at the price. But there's no way I'd spend that much for a striker fired gun. Later.

Dave

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted