1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested in anybody's experience with some of the wave of recently released precision 22 LRs hitting the market at right around the $1,000 mark. Seems several companies have brought them out. I've been thinking about going that route, but frankly the $1,500 and up models are out of my price range.

If you've bought something around a grand lately, your initial experiences would be appreciated.

thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
340 Posts
What kind of "precision" are you talking? PRS Trainer? Accurate "plinker", Bullseye?
+1 on this question: What kind of application are you planning on using it for? PRS trainer, plinking, etc? Do you have a preference on type of action?

Pete

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Precision trainer, possibly some local 22 precision 22 matches - no bench rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don’t personally have any rifles that meet your criteria in terms of price. But what you need is a .22lr with a Rem 700 footprint so that one can use one of the many good chassis stocks and potentially aftermarket triggers on the market. Historically, such rifles are very spendy, such as the Remington 40x or Stiller Lonestar, which is a 40x clone but unfortunately only in single shot, or the Vudoo which seems outstanding but also very pricey. The closest rifle to meet your criteria might be the recently introduced Bergara B-14R which seems like a great value for the money. I haven’t seen many reviews on it but it seems to have enormous potential. It can use the same triggers as the Rem 700 as well as stocks. Frankly, I’ve spent more on Rem 700 footprint .22 actions than Bergara is listing this rifle for. I hope the reviews bear out as people start evaluating it.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with!

PS: As I look back, you said "precision" which to me meant PRS. If you are looking at PRS, my input still applies. If you are just looking for a tack driver there are a lot more options that were previously mentioned by others, such as CZ 452, 455, 457, Tikka T1x, Sako Quad, etc. that fit well into your price range.

Pete

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don’t personally have any rifles that meet your criteria in terms of price. But what you need is a .22lr with a Rem 700 footprint so that one can use one of the many good chassis stocks and potentially aftermarket triggers on the market. Historically, such rifles are very spendy, such as the Remington 40x or Stiller Lonestar, which is a 40x clone but unfortunately only in single shot, or the Vudoo which seems outstanding but also very pricey. The closest rifle to meet your criteria might be the recently introduced Bergara B-14R which seems like a great value for the money. I haven’t seen many reviews on it but it seems to have enormous potential. It can use the same triggers as the Rem 700 as well as stocks. Frankly, I’ve spent more on Rem 700 footprint .22 actions than Bergara is listing this rifle for. I hope the reviews bear out as people start evaluating it.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with!

Pete
Also check out the CZ455 Trainer, and the Tikka T1X. If you're really on a budget look for a used Savage/Anschutz or H&R M12. They're single shot, but tack drivers.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Hi Brent,

I'm in this same delima at the same price range . Here is where I'm at.

https://volquartsen.com/products/1299-black-mamba
their deluxe 22lr rifle I bought is THE BEST thing I have bought in years. Just love it. makes me look like I know how to shoot a rifle.BEST trigger on any weapon I own, easily the most accurate firearm I have..even in my mangled hands

I want a black mamba too. --someday

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Also check out the CZ455 Trainer, and the Tikka T1X. If you're really on a budget look for a used Savage/Anschutz or H&R M12. They're single shot, but tack drivers.
Although very heavy, the cz 455 is a winner for sure

·
Registered
381 Posts
A used Anschutz will have a great trigger and be accurate as you want at your price point. A friend of mine had a Ruger 10-22 built. It did not shoot as well as my Anschutz. I have 3 of them. All 3 have a 5 ounce factory trigger. He then bought a Voodoo ? and it shoots as good or better than anything I have.

Once you get into great shooting rimfire, ammo becomes real important.

I have a Remington 541-T that shoots CCI SV excellent. European rifles want European ammo.
David

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
For fun I like the Ruger Precision for $500. We shoot golf balls at 100 yards with mini-mag’s all day long. We also shoot 3/4” styrofoam arts and craft balls with ease.

We also shoot it in .17HMR for tighter groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I've got a wood stocked Sako Quad Varmint in 17hmr that I bought brand new and was going to buy a Sunberg Lilja 22lr barrel for it (they report .200 groups with it at 50 yards) but I had a light stroke and never got to shoot it.

If interested in it PM me. I also had a Ernie's Precision 20 ounce trigger put in it, super nice, and a picatinny rail installed on it for changing from scopes to red dots. But like I said, It remains unfired.

Jim D.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jim and I think alike. I had a Sako Finnfire that I put a Lilja Sundberg on. I sold it, but only because I bought a Stiller Lonestar action with a right hand bolt and port to duplicate my Rem 700s and Bordens. I put a Shilen barrel on it and I even had a Rem 700 bolt handle installed. My Lonestar shoots extremely well but the Sako didn’t give anything up to it in terms off accuracy. The only thing I gained was a lighter trigger, but the Sako was plenty crisp at around 2 pounds.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I like the 450 series of CZ. Shoulder the rifle and the sight picture is already there waiting on you. Have a 452 Training, 457 training, 457 Lux training 22 mag. Bought the training barrel in 22LR for the Lux and might get the 17. The CZ's are not in that price range but you can get all three of them for about that amount. 52's are hard to find in super nice condition, the only 52's left are the 1000 dollar premier lux using the last of the 52 actions made.

The 17 caliber 455 training can be had for around 370, extra barrels such as 22LR and 22 mag are around 160.00 in the 25" training length.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Boatdoc,
I'v got a brand new unfired Volquartsen 22lr with snake fluting and all Stainless Steel. I've had it 3 or 4 years also and have never shot it. You are correct in that the match trigger is awesome. The complete rifle is just stunning. I'll be letting this one go also. I'm glad you love yours brother.

NOTICE: Like David R said, in 22 rifles the most important thing without a doubt is finding the ammo that it likes. You may shoot 3-4 different kinds of ammo that will give you 1 to 2" groups at 50 yards and you'll be cussing the rifle for everything it's worth. But then you'll find that right combination and it will give you a one hole group.

When you find that combination that your gun likes, you need to buy several hundred dollars of that same lot number if they have it. Different lots can make a huge difference in 22lr ammo, a hue difference.

Also one last thing. Don't expect $4 or $5 boxes of ammo to give you match grade performance. More than likely if you want championship quality for shooting matches and are serious about winning, you'll be paying something like $12 to $20 for a box of 50.

When I shot rimfire matches, my Cooper with a 24" fluted match barrel & chamber would shoot tiny bughole groups with $19 per box of Lapua Midas + ammo and my best practice ammo was Wolff Match Target at $8 per box. The Wolff would shoot about dime size groups at 50 yards were the Midas + was measured in thousandths.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I reccommend that if you interest is local NRL22 flavored matches,just go to one. Lots of guys will let you use their gear for the match if you get squaded with them.

If you knew you wanted a voodoo/any of the other new 700 footprint AICS mag action custom you wouldnt be asking the question so skipping down to the sub voodoo category you can:

1.snag a sub 1000 Anschutz 64 MPR (used, find them every so often in this price range), good trigger, good accuracy, action is a '64 not a '54, mags are meh
2. Tikka T1x and put it in a KRG Bravo (my favorite choice of those listed), if 2 stage triggers are appreciated by you think about the KRG trigger also
3. Buy a used CZ 455 VPT with a manners stock and put a Triggers-by-Scar 2 stage trigger in it (almost as good as my anschutz 5018 trigger)
4. You could buy a CZ 457 trainer with the manners stock but I am not sold on that action yet personally.
5. The new begarra 22 lr 700 clone is in your approximate budget but I havent actually seen one at a match yet...

Amy of the above are more than capable of placing well in a match. Make sure to save some money for Optics/Rings/Bipod/Sling/Game Changer bag . Find out how far out your local matches go in range (Over 250 yards is very common in non NRL22 match stages) and it takes a optic with a lot of travel to connect with steel plates at the 300-450 yard range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
20200224_215214.jpg
Have been using this tikka for over 16 months. It was one of the first in the country. Had it in KRG bravo long before KRG made a t1x bravo. It was so new on the market when I got it that I had to make my own scope rail on top of modifying the T3 stock to fit...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts