Springfield Armory New Pro Slide Stop Issue?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by G. Freeman, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. G. Freeman

G. Freeman New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Hello Guys,
    Just brought home a brand new Pro. I just wanted to run this by you guys and get your input. The pistol has been test fired in the factory, but I haven't shot it yet.

When disassembling the pistol for the first time, I noticed that the slide will not come off freely. Found out that the slide stop was preventing the slide from coming off. It appears that the slide stop is exerting outward pressure on the slide like it wants to pop off. As a result, the slide stop cut-out inside the slide looked buggered up. (pic attached)

Slide stop pin has a diameter of .195". The pin is also way more than 90 degrees in relation to the arm so it tends to pivot outward away from the receiver.

Also, the slide stop slot was not widened to accommodate the slide so it wants to pop out of the frame.

I took my needle file to widen the slot but in order to fully clear the slide, too much metal would have to be removed from the slide stop and may weaken the part. I decided to stop what I was doing.

Is this something that you have seen in your 1911's. Would you send this back to SA?

I would appreciate your responses. Quite bummed honestly.... Pro Slide.jpg

Steve Owens and Jimhoag like this.
  2. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Send it back. You paid a lot of money for it.

mikegalway and Steve Owens like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Exactly that is supposed to be a high quality firearm, they would have that thing back so fast it, would make their head spin if it were me...

4. G. Freeman

G. Freeman New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks gents. That's what I was thinking. Wrote a letter and will call Monday for a shipping label. Shall give an update when it returns.

I appreciate the input!

vg247 likes this.
  5. vg247

vg247 Member

Aug 10, 2014
    SACS customer service is top notch and they will take care of you

ChuckC likes this.
  6. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have a question. Is this your first 1911?

stlgecko likes this.
  7. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    The slide stop is supposed to keep the slide on the gun. It runs through the barrel link which holds it to the frame. The slide stop went in so it will come out. You took a needle file to a brand new pistol that you think is messed up?

8. GhostRecon21

GhostRecon21 Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ya, I’m lost on this one as well. Are you saying the slide will not come off the frame after the slide stop has been completely removed from the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah the slide stop went in so it will come out. It's not like they built the gun around it lol. It's got to be lined up perfect to pop out. The slide got dicked up from trying to force it not because the cut out is to small.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    azpoolguy likes this.
  10. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Let's see a pic of that slide stop please. Was it always crooked (not 90 degrees) or only after you tried to force it out?

GoetzTalon likes this.
  11. bglimpse

bglimpse Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Wow, filed on a new Pro? What method are you using to break it down? Are you removing the barrel bushing first and then removing the slide stop? Or are you holding the slide rearward and removing the slide stop - the way Alchemy shows on YouTube?

12. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Just guessing here. Did you have a magazine inserted while trying to disassemble? That would put upward pressure on the slide stop, preventing it from coming out. That's what it looks like to me. Make sure you don't have a magazine in the pistol when you line up the notch. Also make sure the slide stop is all the way down before removing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Slapshot, gun_fan111 and SLAM37 like this.
  13. Pappabear

Pappabear Active Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Man oh man, I wish you the best and watch some videos on assemble and dis assemble. Thats an amazing handgun, I hope they are compassionate and do you good. I bet they do. Good luck.

14. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum

Nov 6, 2017
    I cringed when I read "I took my needle file..." - Never dealt with SACS, but wouldn't that possibly void the warranty?

Wilsonwessonbrown likes this.
  15. Billy Rao

Billy Rao Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Hopefully not too much was removed in order for the slide to function correctly after this gets sorted out by Sacs.

16. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    From the picture, the wear marks are surrounding the disassembly notch. Did you file on the slide stop notch (the bigger cut-out on the slide) or the disassembly notch? I am having a hard time understanding what the problem is, so please send a picture of where you filed on the slide and of the crooked slide stop.

The real question here is whether you did irreversible damage that will void your warranty. Either way, you should send SACS a picture of what you did before you ask to send it in ... they might not take it back.

17. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I don't think I'd tell them what I did if I'm this dude.

18. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    So no pics of the slide on the workbench with files laying around and bunch of metal shavings?

stlgecko likes this.
  19. G. Freeman

G. Freeman New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi Guys,

Thanks all for chiming in.

Just to explain, yes I've been around 1911's for almost 3 decades. Didn't lay a file on any part of the slide or frame, nor did I pry out the slide stop with a tool.

I apologize for not being clearer. Initially during disassembly, I turned the bushing to release the plug. I haven't removed the slide stop yet. I cycled the slide back and forward and it is during this time that I noticed something was binding (it wasn't the disco).

With a gentle touch, I was able to finally move the slide, align the slide stop to the notch and was able to remove the slide stop. At this point I noticed the gouge on the slide notch (inside the slide rail).

The slide stop was not fitted to clear the slide rails, and also the arm of the slide stop in relation to the pin was much greater than 90 degrees so the slide stop was exerting an outward pressure (like it wants to pop out of the frame).

All I did was open up the slide stop with a file. But it's still dragging on the slide rail.

It's a temporary fix, but I think it would be better for SA to do it properly.

Jimhoag likes this.
  20. Rev19:11

Rev19:11 Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I ran about 500 rounds through my Pro before I took it apart. No such issues. Just ran it wet.

Cw1023 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted