1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will apologize ahead of time, as this will probably get long. I have no idea what I'm gonna say until I start typing, but I have a sense it could get out of hand. lol

There are several reasons I chose Jeremy Reid for a build, and one is he is a top shooter. I know he shoots A LOT, and does it at an extremely high level. If his guns work for him, they’ll be more than adequate for me. Being reliable and how they feel in my hands are 2 big criteria for me. I figured he had both of those down, both from looking at the pictures and knowing his level of shooting.

Working with Jeremy was an absolute pleasure. I can't remember how many questions I had before I sent the very small deposit to hold a place in line, nor how many I had before the build began, but it had to be up there. Jeremy patiently answered them all, and helped me make several decisions along the way. From looking at his past work for many hours, I knew the overall look and features I wanted, and he filled in the rest. One other thing I'd like to share about Jeremy, is he delivered very close to the lead time he had told me in the beginning. It wasn't 2-3 times what I was originally told, which, in my limited experience, seems to be a common occurrence in the firearms industry.

On to the 1911...it's a beauty and a shooter. I like how he often hashtags his stuff on Instagram as #functionalart, because it is! I only have one other gun that feels as good and natural as this one in my hands. As far as reliability, I’ve not quite hit 800 rounds yet the past 2 weeks, but there were zero problems shooting Underwood and my reloads thru many types of mags in below freezing weather.

Along with it being a Series 80 Colt (OH MY!) and chambered in 38 Super, it has a set of unique features that I bet most 1911 owners and shooters wouldn't spec on their dream build. But, that's why it's a custom. Right? I think this is more of a love it or hate it kind of 1911.

Front and rear strap texturing…I like to use a builder's own treatment instead of going with a regular one like checkering if it looks like a feasible one. I saw his Eggo pattern on another build, and it may have been meant for his match grade builds and not the full builds (not too sure really), but it had the properties of what I wanted in a strap treatment. It was said to be tough, give excellent purchase, and doesn't abrade soft skin while carrying. That is accurate. It may be kinda ugly, but I really dig it.

Square trigger guard...I'm not trying to be fashionable @Raylan Givens :p , but wanted to try one out on a 1911. I'm glad I did. I shoot a lot in the winter, and it gives just a touch more room in there for a gloved finger. I also think it gives my weak hand index finger just a bit more surface area to press against and use as a guide upon presentation. The fact that Jeremy does this by old school blacksmith methods is pretty neat, and it somehow comes out perfect and not discolored.

Straight trigger...First time on a serious 1911 of mine, but thought it went with the angular lines of this build. From the rectangular strap textures to the trigger guard to the vertical cocking serrations and horizontal serrations on the safety, etc. I really like the feel of it and am a fan of them now.

Sights...First time, once again, for a new type of sight on a 1911. Fiber optic front. He sent several colors I can use if I didn't like the red, but red is good so far! Easy to pick up in the light, and when going for accuracy, his design allows for careful aim with the black steel surrounding the small diameter fiber. The rear sight he made from a chunk of steel, and the front is heavily modified by him. If you watch a video of some shooting below, it must be a good system because I'm not that good of a shooter.

Bevel dehorn...It's one way to distinguish many Reid 1911’s from everyone else. I have no idea how he does it, how insanely long it must take to do, and if he is glad he once did it on a 1911 several years ago and people still ask for it today. haha. It all just flows from one line to the next. Almost no part is safe from the bevel dehorn. I can grab and twist the gun in my hands, and other than the rearward side of the fiber optic, it all just feels so smoove.

Front cocking serrations...yay! I really like them better when centered or just off-centered above the front of the dust cover. I also like the Colt style vertical serrations best, which is one reason I chose this as a base gun. I asked to delete the left side roll mark and he made it happen. They would have been so off centered between the front and rear serrations, it would have always bugged me.

So many other things to list or talk about, like the weld-on magwell, undercut, grip safety, it could go on and on. I will mention he made 4 extractors. 2 for 38 Super Comp and 2 for the regular 38 Super brass. They weren’t marked with some type of etching tool. The labels were machined in. Now that is attention to detail. Most of my shooting will be Super Comp since I reload with that, but it's nice to have regular extractors to shoot all of the factory stuff with. Reading over the build list, it's really impressive how much work some of these smiths put into their builds. There are things they do that would never cross my mind until reading it.

On to some pics and videos! I wake up often around 4 am, which was prime time for me to try and take some pics last weekend. I’m no photographer, but tried anyway down in the basement while the family slept. Here are also a few videos to liven up this joint. I do some stupid stuff, but it keeps things interesting at the range. Thanks for building a great gat @Jeremy Reid

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
Congrats! She's a beauty!

Reactions: khend1

·
Registered
662 Posts
You have your own zip line where you can shoot targets?! Please, can we be best friends? Please!

Seriously, congrats on a stunning pistol and Happy Shooting!

·
Pulling my hair.
27,674 Posts
Great pistol ya have there. Great write-up on the gun. But you are some kind of LIAR!!!! I'm not a good shot ya said. RIGHT!! Ya look pretty damn good to me bud. I wish I was half that. Hell at 300 yards ya just did better with that gun than most could do with a scope sighted rifle. LOLOLOL

Thanks for the post as it was a blast to read and watch!!!

Looks like ya have a deer or 10 on that place by the way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts